This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Feeling Really Stupid Right Now

kwylee

kwylee Apprentice

I have recently been diagnosed as gluten/casein sensitive, and I can't believe I did this, but I actually purposely ingested something called Whole Grain Biotic, sold by Donna Gates on her Body Ecology Diet website. The reason I thought it was going to be OK is because she said that although there there were 7 ppm of gluten in her liquid probiotic (a fermented liguid that actually had the taste of beer), that 7 ppm was well below the 20 ppm threshold to call it gluten free, and that the fermentation process renders the gluten non-reactive, or somthing like that. In any event the website states that this is the probiotic to take if you are gluten sensitive or intolerant. So I figured, OK I need a probiotic in the mix, so I ordered it.

Luckily I only took a teaspoon as a test. I haven't put ANYTHING in my system (or outside of my body for that matter) in the last few weeks that had any suspicion of containing gluten or casein, only unprocessed non-reactive foods, and my diet has consisted of only 12 foods total. I always do a taste test and wait a few hours when including a new food, I don't care what it is. But within ten minutes of taking the teaspoon, I developed a reaction, and for me, that's dizzy, anxious, & blurred vision. And I had been feeling so great the past couple days. Here it is, an hour later, and while the first reaction was bad only for a couple minutes, I still have that familiar feeling as if my skin is jumping with a bit of a light head. I've had it much worse than this, so I am sure I'll be OK, but like I said, I feel like a bonehead.

I don't know if I am still just super sensitive, being so new into my new way of eating (that I actually love because it makes me feel like I could conquer the world, when before, the world was a scary bother for me with my main overt symptoms being largely neuro-connected.

Of course, I never intend to re-ingest the "Whole Grain Biotic" again, but wanted to let others know in case they were considering it. I know everyone is different. And like I said, perhaps I am super sensitive.

So here's the problem now. I still need a probiotic and also vitamins, preferably LIQUID vitamins, that are gluten free, casein free and even soy free, as I seem to react a bit to that too. I know I need to do something because I need to supplement my sparse diet along with something to help my intestines heal.

Any ideas or comments?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tictax707 Apprentice

Unfortunately I don't have any ideas for the liquid probiotics and vitamins, so I apologize for that... But I wanted to say - don't feel stupid! You did your research and made an educated decision. You are being very vigilant about your health. You are being cautious and smart. Beating yourself up over it only serves to make you feel worse. I would like to congratulate you on your extensive research and effots to stay on top of things. That will serve you will in the long run as you get this disease sorted out. :D Regardless, I am very sorry that you are having a negative reaction. :(

I would actually be a bit suspicious of the other ingredients in the mix as well - not that they contain gluten, but that they contain other ingredients that your body doesn't like. It's kind of odd that it hit you so fast - did you take it on an empty stomach? That may also have intensified the reaction to whatever it is.

Again, I am really sorry that you are feeling like crud. I understand that frustration of feeling like you are set back after feeling good. It sucks. Here's wishing you a speedy bounce back!! :)

quincy Contributor

I have recently been diagnosed as gluten/casein sensitive, and I can't believe I did this, but I actually purposely ingested something called Whole Grain Biotic, sold by Donna Gates on her Body Ecology Diet website. The reason I thought it was going to be OK is because she said that although there there were 7 ppm of gluten in her liquid probiotic (a fermented liguid that actually had the taste of beer), that 7 ppm was well below the 20 ppm threshold to call it gluten free, and that the fermentation process renders the gluten non-reactive, or somthing like that. In any event the website states that this is the probiotic to take if you are gluten sensitive or intolerant. So I figured, OK I need a probiotic in the mix, so I ordered it.

Luckily I only took a teaspoon as a test. I haven't put ANYTHING in my system (or outside of my body for that matter) in the last few weeks that had any suspicion of containing gluten or casein, only unprocessed non-reactive foods, and my diet has consisted of only 12 foods total. I always do a taste test and wait a few hours when including a new food, I don't care what it is. But within ten minutes of taking the teaspoon, I developed a reaction, and for me, that's dizzy, anxious, & blurred vision. And I had been feeling so great the past couple days. Here it is, an hour later, and while the first reaction was bad only for a couple minutes, I still have that familiar feeling as if my skin is jumping with a bit of a light head. I've had it much worse than this, so I am sure I'll be OK, but like I said, I feel like a bonehead.

I don't know if I am still just super sensitive, being so new into my new way of eating (that I actually love because it makes me feel like I could conquer the world, when before, the world was a scary bother for me with my main overt symptoms being largely neuro-connected.

Of course, I never intend to re-ingest the "Whole Grain Biotic" again, but wanted to let others know in case they were considering it. I know everyone is different. And like I said, perhaps I am super sensitive.

So here's the problem now. I still need a probiotic and also vitamins, preferably LIQUID vitamins, that are gluten free, casein free and even soy free, as I seem to react a bit to that too. I know I need to do something because I need to supplement my sparse diet along with something to help my intestines heal.

Any ideas or comments?

sorry to hear of your trouble. I know what its like to be doing well for a few days and then get hit by something.

my nutritionist recommended a probiotic that only she can order. if you have a nutritionist ask him/her about that.

also, I just came from my appt at the celiac disease center at columbia univ. and I was told to order a multivitamin called Freedavite. you can go to it online.

hope that helps. oh, if it is ok to mention the probiotic is by Prothera. google there website, but as I mentioned, only a dietician or nutritionist can order it.

kwylee Apprentice

Thanks quincy for the info on the vites and probiotic! That was a tremendous help. I'll check it out.

And thanks tictax707. It always helps to know there is someone I can tell these things to who understands.

I felt really weird for a couple hours, but the rest of the day, I had boundless energy. SO THANKFUL!!!!!

Mari Explorer

I'm aso very sensitive to gluten and had to learn that I couldn't even tolerate a trace of gluten. I use goat's milk yogurt - I'm making a batch tonight and get my probiotics that way. I found this at the Specific Carbohydrate Diet website. I have been using the SCD for quite a while now and have been able to add foods back to my diet and get most of my vitamins from the food I eat.

FraggleK Newbie

I'm not aware of them having liquid forms, but Country Life makes an entire line of casein and gluten free vitamins as well as a probiotic. I haven't checked it for soy since that hasn't been suspect for me to date.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I'm not aware of them having liquid forms, but Country Life makes an entire line of casein and gluten free vitamins as well as a probiotic. I haven't checked it for soy since that hasn't been suspect for me to date.

I take the Country Life and haven't encountered soy in any of the ones I take. Haven't checked them all though.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived