Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

laurland

A Tip For Eating At Regular Restaurants

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I once asked about pork chops. I was told there was no wheat on them. And then they came out breaded. I was then told it was not wheat but flour. When I asked what kind of flour the waitress got a dumb look on her face. She then tried to make up for it by bringing my daughter a dessert. Of course there was nothing she could eat because it all contained flour

I have gotten salads with cheese or even eggs on them! Because of this, I tend to say that I want vegetables only. So what do I get? Lettuce. Just lettuce. The other people get olives, tomatoes, onions, carrots, etc. Sometimes I feel like I just can't win.

I try to avoid eating at "regular" restaurants for this reason. One time I got talked into going to a local place without a gluten free menu. I talked to the waiter for several minutes about what I could and could not have. He recommended a broiled fish with stir-fried vegetables, as it would have no flour, croutons, breading, soy sauce, or shellfish. He also assured me that they could make the veggies without mushrooms. Well, when they brought out my meal the "stir-fried veggies" were mixed with pasta! The menu description didn't even say ANYTHING about pasta being mixed in with the veggies. I never would have suspected it. The waiter acted like he didn't understand why I sent the meal back, but took it back anyway. When they brought out a new plate with no pasta it had mostly mushrooms mixed with the veggies and the fish looked like a different kind--it was much darker. I was scared to eat then. I took one bite of the fish and it tasted like soy sauce. I didn't eat the veggies at all and I still got very sick that evening. I won't go out to a place that doesn't at least have a gluten free menu again.

A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

I'll bet we ALL have stories like this. I went to a friend's and she was proud to tell me the soup contained NO wheat. There was a ton of pasta floating in it.

I went to an Applebees and ordered shrimp on a spinach salad. I went thru the whole "wheat" discussion... no croutons, etc. and enjoyed my salad until I got to the bottom and found a layer of fried chinese noodles. When I pointed it out to the waitress, she said, "THOSE are made from wheat??"

Arrrggghhh!!!

luvs2eat

Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas

positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy

diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day

Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!