Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VydorScope

Modified Food Starch?

I have Celiac and modified food starch will make me incredibly sick within hours. Be careful of everything with it in it.

Then you are reacting to something other than gluten. In the U.S. MFS almost never contains gluten.

richard

Join eNewsletter

I have Celiac and modified food starch will make me incredibly sick within hours. Be careful of everything with it in it.

Since the MFS is not a source of gluten, you are probably reacting to corn or tapioca. They are the most common forms of MFS, and are gluten-free, but some people are intolerant to one or both of them.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Join eNewsletter

In the G - Diet book it states that when a food product only states "starch" it must come from corn whereas modified corn starch can come from a number of substances. However if it derived from wheat they must state that because of the food allergen labeling laws but they don't have to state is from oats, barley or rye. However, the rule regarding "starch" does not apply to medicines.

Join eNewsletter

In the G - Diet book it states that when a food product only states "starch" it must come from corn whereas modified corn starch can come from a number of substances. However if it derived from wheat they must state that because of the food allergen labeling laws but they don't have to state is from oats, barley or rye. However, the rule regarding "starch" does not apply to medicines.

Actually, I have the book in front of me. She is talking about " food starch". Not " corn starch". I would think corn starch must be made of corn, modified or otherwise.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter