• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Jess0820

Gluten Intolerance? Gall Bladder? Both?

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed via a blood test back in November of 09. From the day I found out until a little over a month ago I was gluten free. I was also pregnant during that time. Many of my symptoms were relieved. However, within a week of having my baby I had horrible stomach pain. My GP diagnosed me with gastritis and suggested I do a zantac regimen. Despite my feeling uncertain about this, I went ahead with it because I was desperate for relief. After about two weeks of that, with little improvement I saw my gastroenterologist.

I'm scheduled to have an endoscopy tomorrow morning. From the time that this was scheduled, until about three days ago I had added gluten back into my diet in prep for the test. After the first two weeks of adding it back in I had a horrible rash. I went off for a week, and then added it again. This week my stomach has been a wreck. Or gallbladder...who knows! I've been having gnawing, burning, cramping, nausea, pain. My stool is yellow and just not right.

My question is this - how many of you have had yellow stool and gallbladder issues as a direct result of gluten? I'm wondering if its the reason this is happening. As opposed to a completely separate issue in addition to gluten. If you did have this, did removing the gluten help? I've gone back to gluten-free the last three days, even though my test is tomorrow because I can't take this anymore!

Yellow stool is usually the result of food passing through your system too quickly. It happens to me every time I accidentally ingest gluten. Gallbladder issues can also cause yellow stool, but it is more often a grey/clay colour. I would try adding psyllium husk fiber into your diet to help normalize everything.

I hope that was helpful. Good luck

The symptoms you mention happen to me also with a glutening. The stomach pain can be incredible. For me a dose of pepto bismal liquid usually stops the pain but does nothing for the D. Which to me is a good thing cause I want that stuff out as soon as possible.

Your challenge is definately positive. Go back to being gluten free as soon as your endo is done.

I was just recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease but I also had an EGD done on Jun. 2 in which they found two ulcers in my stomach. I had a lot of what you are describing with the gnawing pains in my stomach, cramps, yellow stool and pain all the time. My pain shifted to my upper left abdomen after a few weeks and that was determined to be Celiac and ulcer pain together. I thought it was my gall bladder or pancreatitis, but that was ruled out with an ultrasound. I wish you much success with your EGD and hope you can get some good answers and relief soon.

My question is this - how many of you have had yellow stool and gallbladder issues as a direct result of gluten? I'm wondering if its the reason this is happening. As opposed to a completely separate issue in addition to gluten. If you did have this, did removing the gluten help?

Since you have 'yellow' or light colored stools something is interferring with the squirting of bile into the food you have eaten when it is released out of the stomach into the upper small intestine. Bile is made in the liver, collected in the small bile tubules and it flows down to the gall bladder where it collects and is expelled into your partly digested food. Gall stones or sludgy bile can block or partially impede this flow. Since you don't usually have yellow stools and it happens when you ear gluten it may be that there is another reason the bile can't get out to your digestive tract. The autoimmune reaction causes cramping, swelling and congestion in the small intestine and the partly digested food slows down and this, in my opinion, can close off the the bile duct. Some people body's try to clear this out by increasing peristalsis and have D. while other people become constipated. Also we have to have a adequate bile pool - a cycle in which the liver makes bile, stores it in the gall bladder, then readsorb it lower down in the digestive tract and replenish the bile pool. So if the bile isn't getting out there isn't any to readsorb so the bile pool becomes depleted. While there is congestion in the intestinal tract the partially digested food ferments causing gas and bloating and overgrowths of which are very irritating. Also people are more susceptable to acquiring bacteria like the ones causing intestinal discomfort. If this doesn't improve remember that even infant feces can carry these organisms so learn how to be careful when you change diapers. There are some common spices such as turmeric which can help and eating more fiber with meals helps stableize the bile pool.

Thank you so much for your responses! I had the endoscopy this morning and everything looks normal - meaning no obvious signs of ulceration or esophageal tube issues. Obviously more will be told when the biopsy is reviewed.

With regard to the bile issue. What are the ways some people handle this? You mentioned tumeric. Are there any other dos and don'ts. I haven't been eating gluten in the last three days again, so that's a step in the right direction, I'm sure. Should I just eat very basic (bland foods, etc.) until the color returns? I'm so frustrated and feeling kind of blue about all of this. I am SO SO SO tired of having digestive pain and discomfort.

Digestive enzymes helped me enormously. Probiotics may also be generally helpful. Digestive enzymes (OTC) need a pretty substantial dose to get through your stomach acid, or see if you can get the rx version which is coated to help with that. A low fat diet helped a little, but not a huge amount. Really, gluten-free made the difference.

Whole Foods sells a cheap version or there are more complex supplement ones out there (I think I used enzymatic at one point).