This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Major Issue With Cross-Contamination

Becksabec

Becksabec Apprentice

Hi everyone *waves* I recently had kind of a sticky situation, and I'm wondering if anyone has had anything similar happen.

I transferred to a new college out-of-state, and opted to live on-campus for the summer and in the meantime, find an apartment. I'm living in an apartment-style dorm so I have a full kitchen and such, so I'm able to prepare my own meals. I was sharing it with two other girls and I explained about having celiac, and about cross-contamination. I told them I have to keep my food seperate and that they couldn't use my kitchen supplies because of it.

Well, one of them didn't listen on numerous occasions. I caught her a couple times cooking pasta and various other gluten-containing foods in my pots and pans. At one point, I came to find out that she made pasta in one of them, and then instead of running it through the dish washer, she rinsed it with water and put it back away. I had more conversations with her. I tried moving my stuff ,and eventually keeping all my kitchen stuff in my room. It turned out that she was pretty determined to use my stuff because it continued. I started to get really sick on a constant basis again (only been gluten-free for about 2 months now). And I ended up waking up violently ill about 3am one night.

I felt like I exhausted all the options, so I talked to someone in management and explained the situation. As soon as she heard "celiac" and "using my kitchen stuff", she was like ... "I'll move you to a different unit right away. It's clear something needs to be done quickly." So, last night I was able to move into a new apartment. I talked to my new roommate and she seems very understanding. Told her about the previous situation and she's just astounded that the girl could do that, when my health is at stake. She seems very cautious about preventing cross-contamination. I'm feeling a little better than I was, but I can't wait to be back to 100% again.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ChemistMama Contributor

OMG that is awful! She has some serious problems. I had something similar happen, but it was before I was diagnosed. I had 2 roommates, and one of told us that his psycho wife was going to come live with us too (didn't ask, expected to pay the same rent, etc.). So, she shows up and sits on her butt all day. Then I find that when I go to cook some of my food is missing. My other (unmarried) roommate finds the same thing. Then I see her using metal utensils on my nonstick cookware. Finally, we confront her and she's embarrassed but tries to defend her actions by saying she's broke (but doesn't work and goes out to eat 5 times a week). So, we have to label everything with sharpies with our initials so it doesn't get eaten by the human vacuum cleaner.

There are people out there who will take advantage of you no matter what, just because they can. Almost every religion has a version of the Golden Rule, but I guess some people haven't heard enough versions for it to really sink in. Glad you have a new place!

Becksabec Apprentice

OMG that is awful! She has some serious problems. I had something similar happen, but it was before I was diagnosed. I had 2 roommates, and one of told us that his psycho wife was going to come live with us too (didn't ask, expected to pay the same rent, etc.). So, she shows up and sits on her butt all day. Then I find that when I go to cook some of my food is missing. My other (unmarried) roommate finds the same thing. Then I see her using metal utensils on my nonstick cookware. Finally, we confront her and she's embarrassed but tries to defend her actions by saying she's broke (but doesn't work and goes out to eat 5 times a week). So, we have to label everything with sharpies with our initials so it doesn't get eaten by the human vacuum cleaner.

There are people out there who will take advantage of you no matter what, just because they can. Almost every religion has a version of the Golden Rule, but I guess some people haven't heard enough versions for it to really sink in. Glad you have a new place!

Yeah, I know a lot of people who have had similar issues. I'm glad the situation was worked out though ... my new rooommate is so much better. Her friend is actually celiac so she knows all about it and everything.

Monklady123 Collaborator

Sheesh! :o Some people have a lot of nerve. I always wonder why they think that what they want is what everyone else must put up with. Especially when it's your health! -- Well, I'm glad that the management was so responsive. If there are any future problems it sounds like they'll be a big help to you. Hope you feel better soon. :)

butterfl8 Rookie

I'm so happy for you that your new roomie is so understanding! That makes all the difference, I bet! Best of luck on your recovery, and I'm so glad you were able to speak up and get the help you needed. And hopefully that old roomie will end up with some karma back at her someday. <_<

Best wishes!

-Daisy

Archived