Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Glutinator

Burts Bees Lip Products

I've been trying to find a gluten free lipstick for my daughter. I read an old post on here that had a list of Burt's Bees products that are gluten free. I spoke with a customer service rep at Burt's Bees today to confirm that their Lip Shimmer product was gluten free. She told me that they will not guarantee that ANY of their lip products are gluten free because they cannot guarantee that their suppliers are not using gluten. I'm glad I called before letting my daughter use this product!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Burt's Bees is under new ownership.

That said, the "we cannot guarantee" disclaimer is fast becoming universal because, like it or not, it is the truth. All of these manufacturers buy ingredients from outside sources and none of them are willing to accept legal liability for a possible error by a supplier.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

I've been trying to find a gluten free lipstick for my daughter. I read an old post on here that had a list of Burt's Bees products that are gluten free. I spoke with a customer service rep at Burt's Bees today to confirm that their Lip Shimmer product was gluten free. She told me that they will not guarantee that ANY of their lip products are gluten free because they cannot guarantee that their suppliers are not using gluten. I'm glad I called before letting my daughter use this product!

Unfortunately, things have changed at Burt's Bees. They used to be very gluten aware and had great customer service.

Although pricy, I use Afterglow lip products. All gluten-free and even made in a gluten-free facility.

http://www.afterglowcosmetics.com/

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Yikes! I've been using their lip products for some time now...sounds like I need to throw them out? If they can't be more clear about whether or not there is gluten in these products, I don't trust them. But it seems like there are a lot of threads about BB and they have conflicting opinions as to whether the lip products are safe or not. However, just about all the products reviewed in the forums have many different opinions as to whether they are safe.