Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Benjamin.A

Celiac And Pregnancy

Hello,

My girlfrienf has Celiac.

apart from that she is lactoze intolerant and Corn intolerant.

that means she has verly limited variety of food she can eat because nowadays almost all comercial food contains corn in some sort (corn glucose, corn alcohol etc...)

in the future when we have babies i would like to understand the potencial harm that can be caused to the babie?

how likely are the children to have celiac or other food alergies?

thanks

ben

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hello,

My girlfrienf has Celiac.

apart from that she is lactoze intolerant and Corn intolerant.

that means she has verly limited variety of food she can eat because nowadays almost all comercial food contains corn in some sort (corn glucose, corn alcohol etc...)

in the future when we have babies i would like to understand the potencial harm that can be caused to the babie?

how likely are the children to have celiac or other food alergies?

thanks

ben

If she follows a gluten free diet while pregnant she shouldn't have any complications with the pregnancy caused by celiac disease. If she does not follow a gluten free diet it will raise her risk of miscarriage, late term pregnancy loss, and a low birth weight baby. The great news is this is avoidable by her following the gluten free diet. Beyond that, I believe if one parent has celiac the odds of passing it on are approximately 1 in 10 to 1 in 20. I'm not sure about her other allergies.