Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rdunbar

Dh And Iodine

Does anyone know anything about how/ why iodine makes DH worse?

I've just learned this recently from a friend who attended a celiac conference at Stanford with Dr Peter Green

I'm avoiding seafood and iodized salt for the last few weeks and I'm getting better

when I first went super hardcore gluten casien free a few months ago and was using no salt at all my DH improved a lot. It was almost shocking

then I phased in seasalt and it got worse. Apparantly seasalt has some iodine

what has me concerned me now is I just noticed that on my Nordic naturals fishoil label it says consult a pysician if you have an allergy to iodine

i keep hearing fishoil is important because it's maybe the only source of long chain omega 3s. I naively assumed iodine would be taken out of the fishoil along with the heavy metals

but do I have to drop the fishoil for now until my DH clears up??

I've been suffering with this so long sometimes it seems like it will never go away

I geuss it's always something but how many obstacles do you have to get past?

What has been your experience with iodine?

What else do I need to consider to get bettter here?

Thanks for any input everyone

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes, I also learned from Peter Green (from reading his book--which is great, BTW) about iodine, and it explained why I was able to control the DH for most of my adult life. I actually thought I had an allergy to iodine, since the blistery rash appeared after I ate something with iodine in it. One place for iodine contamination that most people don't look for is dairy products. Even though the milk and other dairy products won't list iodine in them, they do, in many cases, contain sometimes large amounts of iodine. I've found that organic milk and dairy products are safer.

I don't know if you really need to give up the fish oil, though there are better sources of Omega 3's than fish oil. Brian Peskin wrote a book called, "The Hidden Story of Cancer," and other books on diet, and I follow his recommendations on this matter. He says that fish oil causes arterial inflammation and exacerbates diabetes (and he backs these statements up with studies). Your best bet would be to take 1/2 teaspoon of organic flaxseed oil with 3/4 teaspoon of organic safflower oil or grapeseed oil. This combination with give you what is called Parent Essential Oils (Omega 3s and 6s), which will oxygenate all of your cells. You'll not only feel more energetic, you'll be protected from cancer because cancer cells can't grow in an aerobic environment. That's the idea in a nutshell.

Yes, I've heard of the link between iodine and DH before. There was a community member here who greatly helped me in cutting out my salt intake after I was still suffering with DH despite a gluten-free/CF diet for nearly two years. Now, with little to no iodine in my diet, I can keep my DH in check about 95% of the time.

The way it was explained to me - pardon me for not citing the actual source here, I scoured for a while beofore giving up - is that iodine is needed to carry out the chemical reaction that forms the blisters or hot spots for DH.

Hope this helps and hope your road to recovery has a less itchy future! :)

-Patricia

Celiac & Duhring Disease