This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Secondary Infertility And Other Questions

happylittlemama

happylittlemama Rookie

I am newly diagnosed and have a few questions in the "lady issues" section. My husband and I have 6 kids all about 2 years apart. In the 9 years I was conceiving kids I had 4 miscarriages, the last two being in the past year. My 6th baby was a twin but we lost one of them early on. I've always had issues with cysts, but never diagnoses with PCOS. At 14 I had an 8lb ovarian cyst removed along with my left ovary. We had decided to have one more baby, but when we didn't conceive for almost 1 year I went in to see a doctor. In Dec. I started going to an OBGYN that ran some tests and told me I was entering early menopause and that I had less than 1% chance of conceiving a baby because my eggs were now low quality. I'm 36! Reading on my own I saw that women with one ovary go into menopause 6-10 years earlier than their peers. The same statics are for Celiacs as well. Are these numbers reversible once getting healthier on a gluten free diet?

My question is if going on the diet has helped with conception on your own or if once you are at this stage that I am (pre-menopausal) it's not reversible? My first cycle a couple weeks ago since going gluten-free was lighter than usual and short. Usually the cycles lasted 7-14 days with a lot of pain and heavy bleeding. My cycles started coming closer together over the last year too, somewhere around 21-25 days, but they were not predictable either, sometimes coming 18 days apart or 35 days. This kind of wrecks havoc on a person trying to conceive. I guess my other question is just about cycles: what were they like upon diagnosis and how did they fair after a year or so after diagnosis?

Thanks for any input. This part of the disease is very fascinating to me. Oh, and I also forgot to add that I'm quite anemic and low in Vitamin D, things which I know affect fertility. I'm really blessed and surprised I was able to have 6 healthy children knowing what I know now.

• 1 month later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StacyA Enthusiast

Sorry no one replied to your post yet, and you may already have your answers, but I've known people who were able to finally conceive after going gluten-free. However you've obviously conceived before. One symptom untreated celiac is absence of a period or lighter period, so going gluten-free often makes women have heavier periods.

You already said having one ovary speeds up menopause - and celiac and menopause are two different things. You don't mention if you have celiac disease or gluten intolerance. If gluten isn't an issue with your body, then going gluten-free may not change your fertility.

• 2 weeks later...
SGWhiskers Collaborator

I'm sorry I missed your post too. At 31, I was told I would need an egg donor because my day 3 and day 10 fsh and something else were not where they should be. 3 years later, I was diagnosed with celiac, and started a gluten free diet. My periods became lighter and shorter and initially had less cramping (I have endometriosis). After 2 years Gluten free, I concieved naturally. If you are trying to figure out when best to time intercourse, I would HIGHLY recommend Taking Charg of Your Fertility. It is a book by Toni Weschler. My cycles have never been that regular, but I know when I'm ovulating now and when to expect my period. Both are highly convenient to know.

Good luck with the new diet and TTC your next little one.

Archived