Celiac Disease FAQ | This site uses cookies GDPR notice. Read more... ×
gflooser

Spring Valley Folic Acid And Prenatal Vits

Rate this topic

Hi all, I'm just pregnant and I need to take a prenatal vitamin and folic acid. I found this brand at the store called spring valley. Both bottles state that they are free of gluten. But on the prenatal ones, it lists maltodextrin, dextrin, and dextrose. These are a bit iffy for me. What do you all think? Has anyone heard of these?

thanks!!!!

Hi all, I'm just pregnant and I need to take a prenatal vitamin and folic acid. I found this brand at the store called spring valley. Both bottles state that they are free of gluten. But on the prenatal ones, it lists maltodextrin, dextrin, and dextrose. These are a bit iffy for me. What do you all think? Has anyone heard of these?

thanks!!!!

I haven't had any exposure to that brand specifically BUT I have reacted to several different brands of vitamins, all of which stated gluten free. I could never figure out why and was getting very frustrated. I ended up figuring out that I was reacting to them because of the corn, which is most likely what maltodextrin, dextrin, and dextrose are derived from. If you've found yourself reacting to those ingredients in the past you may want to consider corn as the culprit. I never would've thought I had an issue with corn either, but gave up all grains because I had not been feeling better.......ended up realizing the corn was an issue after all.

I haven't had any exposure to that brand specifically BUT I have reacted to several different brands of vitamins, all of which stated gluten free. I could never figure out why and was getting very frustrated. I ended up figuring out that I was reacting to them because of the corn, which is most likely what maltodextrin, dextrin, and dextrose are derived from. If you've found yourself reacting to those ingredients in the past you may want to consider corn as the culprit. I never would've thought I had an issue with corn either, but gave up all grains because I had not been feeling better.......ended up realizing the corn was an issue after all.

crud, that sure stinks!!!! thankfully I don't have any negative reactions to corn. in fact, these vits haven't given any reaction. thank you for your reply, i hope that you can find lots of things without the corn to bother you!!!!!! good luck!!!

Maltodextrin and dextrose are not a concern. Dextrin can be derived from wheat, but as a previous poster said, is usually from corn. If the package is labeled as gluten-free, then I would take that to mean that nothing is derived from wheat.