This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Corn Tortillas?

G-freegal12

G-freegal12 Contributor

I am extreamly sensetive to gluten. I cannot find any decent tortilla's!! (Or how to spell tortilla!!!!)All the good kind have celiac disease. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Have you tried Mission brand corn tortillas? I don't think they say gluten free on the package, but I have eaten these and have not had a reaction. They are made on dedicated lines only used for other corn products: Open Original Shared Link

There is a trick to pre-made corn tortillas, though. You have to heat them before using, otherwise they fall apart. I make burrito-type things with these and heat them in a little olive oil before rolling them, but you could also just heat in a microwave for a few seconds or a warm oven.

If you like to cook, making your own corn tortillas is not hard (and nothing beats fresh tortillas), just be sure to research the type of Masa Harina you buy. I got glutened this week by some that was processed in the same facility as wheat products. So I know what you mean by being very sensitive to cc.

knittingmonkey Newbie

I cannot find any decent tortilla's!!

I make my own corn tortillas usually, as often the ones in the store are made on the same machines as the wheat ones, and I react to that tiny bit of gluten.

In the same vein; Corn contains lectins, as does all other grains, legumes (Including peanuts) and potatoes. These are very hard to digest. These are all foods that are pretty "new" to the human diet (last 10,000 years), becoming edible (non-toxic) after cooking (we had to have fire to cook and agricultural practices in place).

Here's an interesting website with more information

Open Original Shared Link

Cutting way back on grains, legumes and potatoes has made me feel so much better.

Becksabec Apprentice

I love, tortillas, too! :) I get the Enjoy Life Brown Rice Tortillas. They aren't made out of corn, but rather, brown rice but they're yummy and I've never had a problem with them - and I'm very sensitive to CC.

VioletBlue Contributor

I have to second the Mission Tortilla brand endorsement! Every other brand I've tried I've reacted to. Mission is the only regular corn tortilla brand that truly seems to be consistently safe from CC. The same is true of their tortilla chips, and since they don't use sunflower oil, I CAN ACTUALLY EAT THEM.

I've never been a fan of the rice tortillas; they've always been too heavy and bulky for me. I do also sometimes make wraps from the basic Chebe mix when I want something softer and more pliable.

• 2 weeks later...
Frances03 Enthusiast

I just bought Guerrero brand corn tortillas at Costco. Their website says they are gluten free, they do not use any gluten ingredients in their corn tortillas, and while they do make flour tortillas at the same plant, they are never made on the same lines, they have dedicated corn lines and dedicated wheat lines. They also say they have a very comprehensive allergen control program. This also goes for their corn chips, tostata and taco shells. Here's the website. I actually appreciate a company that takes the time to address the cross contamination issue and I feel safer eating these! I like Mission too, but they are thinner and I tend to go through a lot of corn tortillas so this large costco package is great for my family.

Open Original Shared Link

They sell these are regular stores too, I just buy them at Costco.

btw, it sounds like these Guerrero are made by the same company as Mission are. :)

• 2 months later...
ProudMommyDebbie Rookie

What about if i need/want to use corn tortillas for my kids lunches, they break easily, but they cannot heat things up at school.

What can i use for like pbj wraps or meat and cheese wraps?

I know i can use a gluten-free pancake mix, but i would like to use tortillas too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

What about if i need/want to use corn tortillas for my kids lunches, they break easily, but they cannot heat things up at school.

I know i can use a gluten-free pancake mix, but i would like to use tortillas too.

Have you seen Corn Thins? They won't "wrap" tho. They are like rice cakes made of corn & thinner. I like them for a sandwich. Some stores have them with the regular rice cakes. Some in the gluten-free section.

I get Crunchmasters crackers at Costco (not too bad on price). My son loved to take PB on crackers for lunch. Make some double or triple decker for fun.

There was a thread on here about the rice "papers" used in Asian cooking. They are cheap at an Asian grocery but some other stores have them too. You soak them in hot water & fill with the ham & cheese or whatever & roll them up. I think if I made them for kids, a fancy toothpick might be nice or a little container of something to dip in. Would be good with fruit & cream cheese & a yogurt dip.

For my son who always took his, you either want a really boring lunch noone notices or a really cool one everyone tries to steal! I think he had fruit deprived friends cause they always took his grapes! :)

crimsonviolet Apprentice

If you heat up the tortillas to make the wraps in the morning they should stay somewhat pliable by lunchtime. My kids have come back for leftovers a couple hours after lunch and tortilla wraps are usually still edible and easy to handle. Oh and a favorite around here that might work for you is "quesadilla roll-ups" - I spread a little oil on a baking sheet and cover it with tortillas, then spread shredded cheese and any fillings on top of each tortilla. Put them under the broiler for just a couple of minutes until the cheese melts, then take them out and roll them up (I use a couple of forks - they're way too hot to handle with my fingers.)

Marilyn R Community Regular

I always learn so much from this forum...thanks so much for new lunch ideas.

Speaking of fruit, I don't know if you can get watermelons this late in the season, but I love watermelon balls (I bought a melon baller before I got intolerant to gluton or soy) with red grapes all alone or with torn mint or chopped up kiwi and/or fresh pineapple or strawberries. I think a child would feel very loved if their mother made them melon balls for their lunch box, and it takes mere moments to prep with a melon baller.

Once I hollow out the melon (regardless of type), it goes in the compost bin for liquids and nutrients. So even when I pay more than I should for a melon (usually only buy in season or on sale) I can't feel bad about it, because I enjoyed it so much! (I don't have any little peeps, wish I did.)

Darissa Contributor

I microwave the corn mission tortillas in a quart size baggie with a damp papertowel (for about 30 sec, depending on how many tortillas in bag. Than I take the towel out, leave the tortilla in, and close the bag right after I microwave it. Than my daughter will add her ham/cheese roll or spread her peanut butter on the tortilla when she eats. The tortilla stays soft.

She likes the corn thins (similar to a rice cake, but much thiner) and makes sandwiches out of them also. We also enjoy the Udi's gluten free bread.

Good luck!

Takala Enthusiast

re Corn tortillas-

I don't roll them if they are going to travel, instead, I cut or fold them in half and then put the filling inside of the half moon shape, and then cut it again to make a triangle wedge, that way it fits in a small ziplock baggie.

They might get pre warmed or toasted a little, depending on what I want it to taste like. Honestly, with the weather we have here in the summer, if I take it out of the cool pack and leave it sit on the dashboard a few minutes while I'm parked, it warms it up pretty fast ! :P

Frances03 Enthusiast

One thing my kids LOVE are "pizza tortillas". They want them every day but I dont give in that often, LOL. Take 2 corn tortillas. Spread one with marinara or pizza sauce and place on dry skillet. Top with about 6 pieces of pepperoni, and a handful of shredded cheese. (my boys love the cheddar blend from costco). Top with another dry corn tortilla. Heat over medium until browned and crispy, then flip and do the same on the other side. Of course I homeschool, so my kids eat them right away, but we have packed them before to go out and they are just as good later when not warm!!

I discovered a wonderful brand at Wal-Mart today... La Banderita Corn Tortillas. They're preservative free and the ingredients are: CORN, WATER AND LIME. OMG they're delicious. And they were $1.50 for 1.5 pounds of them. (A stack as high as my fist.)

I hope your local Wally World stocks them. These are infinitely better than any commercially available corn tortillias I've tried.

VioletBlue Contributor

I tend to do the PBJ thing with corn waffels. They're tend to come out crisper than other waffels. I make a big batch every few weeks and keep them in the freezer.

Those corn tortillias I recommended could have cc issues.

Gluten Free Nomad Newbie

Here's a great quick snack for corn tortillas: heat them up a little in the microwave or on a comal or griddle. Spread on a little butter and sprinkle on some cinnamon. In Mexico they roll them up with butter, cinnamon and sugar inside and bake them in the oven. Yum!

Pat

Archived