Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

daisy2808

Exhaustion After Cutting Out Gluten.

Hi wondered if anyone can advice me, I have just cut out all gluten from my diet as I was diagnosed with non ceoliac gluten sensitivity. Since giving up I have felt so strange, at first I was unsteady and dizzy all the time. I then went on to have massive headaches all the time, moody and so irritable. Now that has calmed down I feel exhausted and want to sleep all day? Is this all withdrawal has anyone else gone through any of this? Feel very low today and would love to hear from someone. Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I can honestly say i had the same thing happen to me- Except i felt amazing in the beginning! Wide awake as soon as my alarm went off! But slowly the effects of withdrawal set in i was moody and SOOO tired ALLL of the time! My family friend that h as it says it passes but it almost got me in trouble with my job because i was coming in late almost everyday! I guess its like anything- if your a coffee drinker all week and then forget to have a cup on saturday- headaches and super sleepy- withdrawal is a pain- just gotta get past that point i guess.

Yes, there is a period of withdrawal for many. There is also the possibility of nutrient deficiencies. The best research has not fully figured out why the fatigue and other symptoms occur so often after going gluten-free rather than before.

A strong B-complex and separate methylcobalamin sublingual tablet (active form of B12) can help quite a bit with fatigue. Other helpful supplements include vitamin D3, magnesium, omega-3s, and zinc. You may also need to take an iron supplement, though unlike the other nutrients, iron is easy to overdose, so it may be advisable to have your levels checked first, including ferritin.

And of course, it is always helpful to have a nutritious diet, consisting of plenty of fresh veggies, fruits, beans, nuts, seeds, and so forth. Avoid processed foods. If you eat meats, stick to plain rather than processed things like sausage and hot dogs. Add your own gluten-free seasonings, and you'll also be able to enjoy your food without so much concern for hidden ingredients.

Quite often, dairy and other top allergens can be a problem, especially while the body heals. It is common to need to avoid dairy especially, at least for awhile, then try it again once you're feeling better.

Welcome to the board. I'm sure others will have helpful suggestions for you.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Thankyou so much for answering, it has cheered me up so much to hear from people. I have been feeling so low and having a few answers has helped. I am going to a kineseologist on thurs so she may help me know what nutrients I am missing. I have felt isolated as two friends of mine have gone gluten free and are having a real easy time of it. Your'e right I felt better at first then it set in. I am definatly trying to cut down dairy as well as that has suddenly started causing me problems. Thanks for kind advice.