Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Libbyk

Cheek Swab Test

Guest Libbyk

I was looking at the "whats new" section of the site, and noticed an article on kimble labratories. It said that they had an "accurate" (I assume thats relative, since none of the tests are 100%?) genetic test for celiac disease that is based on a cheek swab. no poop, no blood.

Has anybody heard about this? Tried it?

I am very curious on behalf of my untested but suspicious sister.

Libby

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Enterolab does the cheek swab gene test. It uses cells collected from the lining of the cheek and tests the DNA on the cells. They use a genetics lab called Laboratory at Bonfils, in Denver, Colorado. It is fully licensed and accredited and they do testing for many things, including transplants. It is much cheaper to do than the blood gene test, and just as accurate if the lab is a skilled lab. I would think that you would have to be skilled at genetics to be running the tests, since there are not a lot of genetics labs around the country.

I checked them out before ordering the tests for my three children and they are legitimate and seem very skilled at what they do. You can check them out at the link below if you like. I don't know about the other lab you mentioned, but at Enterolab you can do the gene test for around $150.

http://www.labsatbonfils.com/

God bless,

Mariann :)

I checked out the article and the lab that you mentioned above. It sounds like they do the same genetic test that Laboratory at Bonfils does. Check out this link and it will take you directly to the page that tells you all about the Celiac Gene test. I hope this helps.

http://www.kimballgenetics.com/tests-celiacdisease.html

God bless,

Mariann

• Celiac.com Sponsor:

• Forum Discussions

I’m at kind of a loss here. My 6 year olds tTg IgA was >250 but his GI says his biopsy was negative. Has any had this happen? We made sure he was eating gluten up until the procedure. The Doctor says a gluten free diet may still be beneficial. ...
    Hi JesLin! How was your trip? did you do well with the gluten free issue? I'm thinking in a trip to Nepal and Tibet also and I'm a little worry about the Tibet part. Could you please give me some advices? Thanks! Lorena ...
    My daughter has Celiac disease and has been using a Nina sensor for the past two and a half years. I am a huge supporter of the sensor and feel like it has made a big difference in my daughter’s quality of life, and has certainly saved her f...