This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Baking Flour Recommendation?

Grace'smom

Grace'smom Explorer

Hi there

I know a lot you are great bakers and cooks, and probably create your own gluten free flour mixes from scratch. I have 5 young kids, and can't seem to find that kind of time and space to make a really great flour mix. Can anyone recommend a pre mixed gluten free flour off the shelf? I know Bob's Red Mill makes one; Quinoa is another...what is your favorite, most close to traditional wheat flour to use for baking so that homemade desserts will taste great?! Thank you! Emily

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

seezee Explorer

Hi there

I know a lot you are great bakers and cooks, and probably create your own gluten free flour mixes from scratch. I have 5 young kids, and can't seem to find that kind of time and space to make a really great flour mix. Can anyone recommend a pre mixed gluten free flour off the shelf? I know Bob's Red Mill makes one; Quinoa is another...what is your favorite, most close to traditional wheat flour to use for baking so that homemade desserts will taste great?! Thank you! Emily

seezee Explorer

If you are looking for flour to make really good cookies, cakes, and muffins, I have tried a bunch and really like one called Domata, Open Original Shared Link - they sell it at the Natural Food Exchange in Reading (I think I saw you live in Massachusetts) - they have a few other brands there that I haven't tried since I stopped at that one. I also like Mr. Ritts, but like Domata the best so far. I am not crazy about Gluten Free Pantry all purpose or Bob's Red Mill. Also, I think King Arthur has a gluten free flour line that should be in supermarkets but I haven't seen or tried it, but it would be great if you could pick that up at a regular supermarket. If you are making savory things then you can mix up some of the healthier stuff like sorghum or quinoa flours.

Tina B Apprentice

I use Bob's Red Mill and use a regular cookie recipe and just add 1 tsp xanthum gum.

These soft gingersnaps come out great with it. It was a regular recipe that stated 2 and 1/2 cups wheat flour. I just substituted.

Gingersnaps

This recipe makes a nicely shaped soft gingersnap.

2 cups of Bob

Mizzo Enthusiast

IMO: I use Pamela's pancake and muffin mix and I think it's ok. I have tasted muffins made with Namaste flour and think it's much better. However I cannot find it. If you do I would suggest trying the Namaste first. The baker told me she substituted her reg flour recipe cup per cup with the Namaste. It was a yogurt muffin recipe, and they were 3 days old in a tupperware container that was on the counter and they were really good.

Good luck

RideAllWays Enthusiast

i use kinnikinnick all purpose blend

Grace'smom Explorer

Thanks for those suggestions...does this mean I have to add "xantham gum" - I know I'm spelling it wrong - to ANY of these off the shelf flour mixes? Saw that on one of the first posts. Is that to keep it from crumbling apart, and do any of you know if its already added into any of these mixes? Emily

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Tina B Apprentice

Thanks for those suggestions...does this mean I have to add "xantham gum" - I know I'm spelling it wrong - to ANY of these off the shelf flour mixes? Saw that on one of the first posts. Is that to keep it from crumbling apart, and do any of you know if its already added into any of these mixes? Emily

Bob's does not have it added. I make biscotti with it and without the xanthum gum the logs don't hold together. The xanthum gum binds the molecules together. I get the xanthum gum at Wholefoods also by Bob's. I just dump it into a tupperware and it keeps for a long time. Since gluten is the part of the grain which gives baked goods that springy texture you need the xanthum gum to replace it.

Mizzo Enthusiast

You should always read the packaging. However, blend flours and recipe packages typically do add it, but things like Brown rice flour or Tapioca starch or Potato starch etc.. do not.

Roda Rising Star

Here are two premixed flours I have tried in the past and had decent results. Better Batter flour and Tom Sawyer flour.

bbuster Explorer

If you are looking for flour to make really good cookies, cakes, and muffins, I have tried a bunch and really like one called Domata, Open Original Shared Link

I second the nomination for Domata if you want to buy a premixed, all purpose type of flour. It has an excellent taste, and it has Xanthan gum in it already so you can just sub it for regular flour in most things. And it originates from Missouri, like me!!

Grace'smom Explorer

I second the nomination for Domata if you want to buy a premixed, all purpose type of flour. It has an excellent taste, and it has Xanthan gum in it already so you can just sub it for regular flour in most things. And it originates from Missouri, like me!!

Thank you everyone! Great input!

scarlett77 Apprentice

Bob's Red Mill general all purpose uses a lot of bean flours so watch out as using it may induce gas. I have a terrible time with it. I use Pamela's pancake and baking mix for just about everything. It has xanthan gum in it already so it is an easy to grab replacement for a lot of recipes. It does have tiny almond bits in it so the texture may bother some people, but it never bothers my family. The cookie recipe on the bag is wonderful but I suggest you sub out butter for butter flavored Crisco or do half butter and half shortening. You get a much better rise out of cookies that way and it won't spread too thin.

I also use this mix to bread chicken, biscuits, and even for the cheese sauce for mac & cheese.

bbuster Explorer

Bob's Red Mill general all purpose uses a lot of bean flours so watch out as using it may induce gas. I have a terrible time with it. I use Pamela's pancake and baking mix for just about everything. It has xanthan gum in it already so it is an easy to grab replacement for a lot of recipes. It does have tiny almond bits in it so the texture may bother some people, but it never bothers my family.

I agree - everyone in our house hates the taste of bean flours. I will add a tiny amount (like 1 tsp to 3 cups of other flour) to bread, because it helps it hold together.

I love Pamela's - it's great for waffles, cookies, cakes, etc - but I never thought of using it for a lot of things because it has so much "stuff" in it - baking powder, baking soda, buttermilk, salt, almond meal, etc.

Pamela's is great but it is pricey, and I don't get it in large quantities because you have to keep it in the refrigerator. Domata does fine on the pantry shelf. Comparing prices online (without shipping) you can get 4lbs of Pamela's on (Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned) for $40; for $38 you can get 16 lbs of Domata.

Domata is just a blend of rice, corn, and tapioca flours with Xanthan added, and they grind it super-fine so it's not gritty like the white rice flour I buy separately. I don't know if it's just me, but I think it even smells like regular wheat flour.

scarlett77 Apprentice

Domata is just a blend of rice, corn, and tapioca flours with Xanthan added, and they grind it super-fine so it's not gritty like the white rice flour I buy separately. I don't know if it's just me, but I think it even smells like regular wheat flour.

Yes, I agree Pamela's is pretty pricey...thank you for the tip on Domata. I may have to try that.

Grace'smom Explorer

Thanks all...I will try and order the Domata online. I contacted King Arthur flour today regarding their new gluten free mix, but they told me there is not a "list" available yet for where it can be bought, at any supermarkets, and to ask my local food store if they'll consider carrying it. Odd. Maybe they're still looking into the demand to see how many order it directly from their factory. In any event: sure appreciate all of the great suggestions.

Mizzo Enthusiast

Thanks all...I will try and order the Domata online. I contacted King Arthur flour today regarding their new gluten free mix, but they told me there is not a "list" available yet for where it can be bought, at any supermarkets, and to ask my local food store if they'll consider carrying it. Odd. Maybe they're still looking into the demand to see how many order it directly from their factory. In any event: sure appreciate all of the great suggestions.

Actually I asked my local stop and shop to carry some specific items and they ordered some of them and put it in their organic section with most of their other gluten-free foods. Also my local health food store is usually willing to order any product so long as they have a relationship with them already. I still haven't got Namaste flour but I will keep trying, and I will have to submit a new request for the King Arthur flour .

Archived