This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Whitney's Yogurt

scarlett77

scarlett77 Apprentice

I found some very convenient yogurt smoothies at Costco yesterday made by Whitney's (Yo on the Go). The comany's page sucks and I do intend on trying to contact them, but I was hoping that someone on here may have experience or feedback on this company and/or their products? My boys love yogurt but will only drink it. So I thought this would be perfect for them. I bought the stuff anyway because worse case scenario my daughter can drink it for breakfast and so can I on our way to work/school.

Once I figure out how to contact the comany I will also update this...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wheatfreedude Apprentice

This is a GREAT product. A good way to get your probiotics and a nice dose of protein. And unlike many Dannon and Yoplait products, there is NO HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP! (yes, they use that garbage to make it taste extra sweet).

Keep us posted what you find (when you hear back from Whitney's)

~Wheatfreedude~

scarlett77 Apprentice

After searching a bit I finally found a phone# for them (fyi-Whitney's is a division of Steuben Foods). I spoke with the receptionist and she referred me to sales where I left a message. I received a phone call back from a very nice lady (after about 2 hours) and she said that they are in the process of getting the product officially tested but that currently their food scientist says that it is gluten free. They just cannot officially say that it is gluten free until it has completed testing. So I can contact them back in about a month to get an update. In case anyone is curious the ph# 716-655-4000 and i was told the correct email is whitneys@steubenfoods.com. I haven't tried that email so I'm not 100% sure that it works (the others I found online did not). So my question is would any of you actually trust this? Like I said the only questionable ingredients are the "modified food starch" and "natural flavors". I'm pretty sure that the MFS is most likely from corn. But do I even gamble?

Wheatfreedude Apprentice

So my question is would any of you actually trust this? Like I said the only questionable ingredients are the "modified food starch" and "natural flavors". I'm pretty sure that the MFS is most likely from corn. But do I even gamble?

I actually was a VP at one of the nation's largest organic frozen food companies. My department was responsible for returning the type of phone call that you placed. My ex-staff was VERY knowledgeable about ingredients and answered the items 100% honestly. So, I don't see it as a gamble - trust these people.

Secondly, don't worry about natural flavors. I'll give you an example.... have you ever turned the rind of an orange/lime/lemon "inside out" and see that fine mist? Flavoring companies actually gather all of those oils and sell them to food manufacturers as all natural flavoring. So my immediate guess is that the natural flavorings are nearly matching the fruit that is on the label. The natural flavoring just enhanced it even more (without chemicals or artificial flavors!)

Finally, CORN starch is the staple for a thickening agent and it does a good job.

My recommendation, keep eating Whitney's and don't worry.

~Wheatfreedude~

Archived