This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Yellow Stool

willabec

willabec Contributor

Anyone out there have celiac disease as well as loose, yellow stools? i have them about once a week and i can't seem to figure out why, if it was something i ate at some point??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Anyone out there have celiac disease as well as loose, yellow stools? i have them about once a week and i can't seem to figure out why, if it was something i ate at some point??

Pale yellow, greasy, foul-smelling stool: malabsorption of fat due to pancreatic insufficiency, as seen with pancreatitis, pancreatic cancer, cystic fibrosis, celiac disease.

Keep a food diary and document everything that goes in your mouth. Check your meds, vitamins, shampoos, lipstick, shaving cream and lotions.

Roda Rising Star

Yep. I've been having this problem since January. Sometimes it is just loose but many times I have D, there is undigested fat and and very malodorous. There has been times I have barely made it to the bathroom. In Feb. I had a gallbladder ultrasound (normal) and Hida scan (suboptimal but above the sugical thrrshold), some stool testing in March for parasites/pathogens (normal), and a repeat EGD and biopsy in April (esophagitis, gastritis, stomach ulcer but normal small biopsy this time). I went dairy free thinking it was causing my symptoms and also cracked down on potential CC. I got worse. I definately am not digesting fats well. Avocados and the almond milk will really set me off as well as anything greasy or fried. On my last visit I tried a trial of welchol to control the diarrhea. It helped some but not enough to care. The GI also suggested that I may have a pancreas problem because of the fat in the stool. I'm supposed to call back and let him know about the welchol. I also decided on my own to try some digestive enzymes. They helped more than the welchol (although I was not able to take it exactly as prescribed because of the drug interacting with my thyroid meds), but I ran out and I'm waiting on them in the mail. I think the reason I'm not digesting fats is because of my dysfunctional gallbladder. However the doctor said he thinks I would be hard pressed to find a surgeon to take it out when it is working at 48% when the threshold for surgery is 35%. He did say he likes to see the function at least 50%. I do have RUQ discomfort, but never severe pain. It's more of a pinching/pulling sensation that is very annoying. I'm going to go really low fat for awhile and see how I react. If I still have problems I may go in for more testing/surgical consult. I'm getting very discouraged by all this, tired and a sore butt! :lol:

willabec Contributor

Pale yellow, greasy, foul-smelling stool: malabsorption of fat due to pancreatic insufficiency, as seen with pancreatitis, pancreatic cancer, cystic fibrosis, celiac disease.

Keep a food diary and document everything that goes in your mouth. Check your meds, vitamins, shampoos, lipstick, shaving cream and lotions.

i have tried the food diary, but i cannot figure out what the culprit is...about how long do you think it takes to eat something and then have it reek havoc on your system? for example...today was a bad day...yellow, frothy and very, very loose and went 3 times after lunch within a two hour time span....thoughts?

willabec Contributor

Yep. I've been having this problem since January. Sometimes it is just loose but many times I have D, there is undigested fat and and very malodorous. There has been times I have barely made it to the bathroom. In Feb. I had a gallbladder ultrasound (normal) and Hida scan (suboptimal but above the sugical thrrshold), some stool testing in March for parasites/pathogens (normal), and a repeat EGD and biopsy in April (esophagitis, gastritis, stomach ulcer but normal small biopsy this time). I went dairy free thinking it was causing my symptoms and also cracked down on potential CC. I got worse. I definately am not digesting fats well. Avocados and the almond milk will really set me off as well as anything greasy or fried. On my last visit I tried a trial of welchol to control the diarrhea. It helped some but not enough to care. The GI also suggested that I may have a pancreas problem because of the fat in the stool. I'm supposed to call back and let him know about the welchol. I also decided on my own to try some digestive enzymes. They helped more than the welchol (although I was not able to take it exactly as prescribed because of the drug interacting with my thyroid meds), but I ran out and I'm waiting on them in the mail. I think the reason I'm not digesting fats is because of my dysfunctional gallbladder. However the doctor said he thinks I would be hard pressed to find a surgeon to take it out when it is working at 48% when the threshold for surgery is 35%. He did say he likes to see the function at least 50%. I do have RUQ discomfort, but never severe pain. It's more of a pinching/pulling sensation that is very annoying. I'm going to go really low fat for awhile and see how I react. If I still have problems I may go in for more testing/surgical consult. I'm getting very discouraged by all this, tired and a sore butt! :lol:

what digestive enzymes are you taking?

Lisa Mentor

i have tried the food diary, but i cannot figure out what the culprit is...about how long do you think it takes to eat something and then have it reek havoc on your system? for example...today was a bad day...yellow, frothy and very, very loose and went 3 times after lunch within a two hour time span....thoughts?

As you travel through the gluten free lifestyle, you will notice that your reaction time will vary. That makes it very difficult to pin point and issue. And sometimes, you never know. And everyone is different. You will learn your own clock, once you are healed.

You may be one who reacts to the slightest bit of cross contamination...at home, work or elsewhere.

willabec Contributor

As you travel through the gluten free lifestyle, you will notice that your reaction time will vary. That makes it very difficult to pin point and issue. And sometimes, you never know. And everyone is different. You will learn your own clock, once you are healed.

You may be one who reacts to the slightest bit of cross contamination...at home, work or elsewhere.

well, i was diagnosed 8 years ago and on the gluten-free diet since then...i just don't know why the past 1-2 years "things" have gotten like this....it is making me nervous!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

what digestive enzymes are you taking?

Nature's Sources, AbsorbAid, 600 mg

Description

Family of Plant Enzymes

Aid for Digestion & Stomach Distress

Clinically Tested/Scientifically Proven

A Dietary Supplement

Suggested Use

Take 2 capsules with each meal. (More should be used by individuals with compromised digestive systems.) When you experience occasional indigestion, or for nighttime discomfort, open 2 capsules and mix in 2-4 oz of room temperature water.

Supplement Facts

Supplement Facts

Serving Size: 2 Capsules

Servings Per Container: 120

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value*

Calories 5

Total Carbohydrates 1 g <1 % *

AbsorbAid enzyme blend **

Lipase, Amylase, Protease [from Bromelain,] Cellulase, Lactase.

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

** Daily Value not established.

Other Ingredients

2 capsules provide-Lipase (381 FIP), Amylase (2772 SKB/DU), Protease [from Bromelain] (12 GDU), Cellulase (99 CU), Lactase (300 ALU)

Vegetarian Capsule (HPMC and Water), Rice Starch, Plant Cellulose, Silicon Dioxide, and L-Leucine.

Contains no corn, sucrose, wheat, gluten, yeast, dairy, soy, preservatives, artificial colors or flavors.

Warnings

Keep in a cool dry place. Do not refrigerate. Keep container free of moisture. Heat destroys enzymes.

I have been taking Nature's Sourse Absorbaid. I found these at my local health food store. I did not want one with the betaine HCL or pepsin because I did not know if it would aggrivate my ulcer. So I got this one instead and it seemed to help some. At least the watery stool was gone. I still have soft yellow stool, but at least I'm not going all the time. I may look for one that has ox bile in it and see if that helps any better. I'll wait until I finish this new bottle. I'm also going to ask the doctor if if the betaine or pepsin would hurt me to take now since most of the digestive enzymes supplements with ox bile have the betaine or pepsin in it.

Archived