This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Reading Some Of These Topics Has Me Thinking

macocha

macocha Contributor

:huh:

Maybe I am clueless about this whole entire ordeal, but I am wondering...

my son, who is now 13, was diagnosed in March. All the other kiddos tested negative (three others) and one had the Endo because of other issues. Found she has gastitis on top of the fructose malabsorption, but negative for celiac.

Son's twin tested negative too but he shows no outward signs of it.

BUT, my just turned five year old...I wonder. Someone posted about their child being in 2T/3T clothes. My son is in 4t pants but I have to tighten them to get them to fit. He could wear 3t for the perfect waist size, but length is about 1 or 2 inches too short. Shorts he can still fit into 24 months/2T fine. :blink: His shirts he can put a 3T on, but I buy him 4 or 5T based on what it looks like.

My other kids tended to wear their size via their age, so this is a bit new to me. I look at him with other kids his age and he is smaller, but not horribly smaller. He is still at 38lbs and has been for awhile.

His labs came back negative.

would you take him to a GI to be safe?? I just don't really know...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

My 5 1/2 year old, who will be starting kindergarden next month, is 43" and weighs in at 40 lb. He is fitting into his clothes size fine, but some 5's are bit big especially pants, usually to baggy but need the length. Different brands fit differently also. I have found that the better made more expensive outfitters, he can wear a smaller size than if I buy him something at k-mart or such. He is not the smallest for his age and not the biggest. He seems to be right in the middle. Both my kids are skinny, they have a very high metabolism just like their daddy. Their dad is 6' and soaking wet probably weighs about 170 lb. He has a very lean non bulky frame. As for that, I think they take after him. Now my oldest is 9 1/2 and only checks in at 50" and 55 lb. As for growth he is the one I am concerned with. He is the smallest boy now in his class and he will be going into the 4th grade. He has been wearing the same size underwear since second grade (size 6-8). I have to buy him new ones but only because he has worn them out not grown out of them. :blink: So as for being worried I can relate. As like yours both of their blood work was negative. Lately, for about a moth or so they both have been complaining of their stomachs hurting. Kids are going to do that, but it has been more often to just brush off. Not sure what I'm going to do yet.

scarlett77 Apprentice

Honestly I try not to worry unless there really is something to worry about. My Celiac son is noticeably small for his age and quite honestly he was wearing 12-18 months from about 18 months all the way until about 28 months. He has a tiny waist so 18 months will still fit him around the waist on some styles, but will be way too short. Be went off the charts so it was quite obvious with him that something was wrong. Not my youngest has not grown very much between 12 months & 15 months, but I am trying not to worry about it since he is 1) pretty tall and grew an 1", 2) he became very active, and 3) he is still about 50%. Yes I am watching him like a hawk, but I really try not to worry too much. Active word here is TRY.

dkelm Rookie

Honestly I try not to worry unless there really is something to worry about. My Celiac son is noticeably small for his age and quite honestly he was wearing 12-18 months from about 18 months all the way until about 28 months. He has a tiny waist so 18 months will still fit him around the waist on some styles, but will be way too short. Be went off the charts so it was quite obvious with him that something was wrong. Not my youngest has not grown very much between 12 months & 15 months, but I am trying not to worry about it since he is 1) pretty tall and grew an 1", 2) he became very active, and 3) he is still about 50%. Yes I am watching him like a hawk, but I really try not to worry too much. Active word here is TRY.

This my kid. He is 22 months old and still in size 12 month pants and shirts. Some 18 month stuff fits him slightly big, depending on the brand. But he is solidly still in 12 month size clothes and has been for 10 months now. We had a family picture taken in Oct and he is still wearing those clothes - and they still fit him correctly. I bought him some 24 month size clothes just for the hell-of-it and they are wayyyy too big.

To the OP: I also have a 5 1/2 year old starting Kind in the fall. He is small waisted too. And really, I think that's normal for this age. Is your son outside and playing a lot? My guy wears size 6, but the waist has to always be cinched as tight as it can. He needs the length though. At 22 months though (my son's current age) he was in a 3T for most things. He was so hefty and chunky. He was HUGE. Not this little guy. But then again, this little guy hasn't gained any weight in awhile.

I also have to add that we have not been diagnosed yet. We are in the diagnosing stage. We are waiting on the call back from the scheduler to schedule his endoscopy.

macocha Contributor

he is outside and plays. I try not to compare him to his siblings, but that is hard. I had practice with the twins though in not comparing...lol

I do watch him though. there have been times where he complains of tummy aches, but not in excess...so it is watch and see at this point.

thanks! :)

dkelm Rookie

he is outside and plays. I try not to compare him to his siblings, but that is hard. I had practice with the twins though in not comparing...lol

I do watch him though. there have been times where he complains of tummy aches, but not in excess...so it is watch and see at this point.

thanks! :)

It's so hard not to compare, isn't it? We are outside ALL the time. My kids very rarely play video games (maybe one a month?), because they would rather be riding their bike or playing tag with their friends outside. When we are inside, they are usually fighting. HAHAHA!! So anyway, if he is outside playing like a normal kid plays - he is probably very naturally lean. My 5 year old is all long and there is not an ounce of fat on his body. I think your little guy is probably in the range of "normal" and I wouldn't worry too much. :) A little worry is good though - it shows you're a caring Mom.

Archived