Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vegiac980

Is It Safe To Use The Family's Waffle Machine?

Responses  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Can I use my non gluten free family waffle machine

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe... with tin foil

Okay, im having a really bad sudden craving for waffles. I have a mix and everything, but the only waffle maker i have is my family's non gluten free one. Is it safe to use if I REALLY wipe it down? Would it be okay to use tinfoil on that machine?

And if not, what should I do / use

Thanks so much :ph34r::blink::lol:

Blood test February

Gastroscopy april 26

official diagnoses april 29

Loving it

Btw, I LOVE AFTERGLOW COSMETICS!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Walmart has waffle makers for $22-30. You might be able to drizzle the batter on a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet and bake? or cook on the stove in a frying pan? Most people like Van's frozen waffles, too.

I would say no. Those non-stick surfaces are porous and I think it would be too risky. I can not picture how foil would give you a very waffle like product either? I agree with the other poster to buy one a dedicated gluten-free one for yourself if you really love waffles or if it is just a temporary craving, try the frozen ones.

I am in the camp that votes "it's not worth the risk when you can get a waffle maker for $20". If you can't get to the store, make pancakes for now, instead, and then go to the store. :)

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

I gave my old one away and my mom bought me a new one last Christmas. I wouldn't chance it.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

Thanks a lot guys. I will definitely take your suggestions and buy a new one. Im glad because my family has a waffle sunday tradition, and i had been missing out :lol:

Blood test February

Gastroscopy april 26

official diagnoses april 29

Loving it

Btw, I LOVE AFTERGLOW COSMETICS!

I got a neat 2-waffle belgian maker at WalMart for like $14... I make extra waffles and freeze 'em so I can heat 'em up in the toaster. YUM

luvs2eat

Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas

positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy

diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day

Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

I would use one that has the plates that come out and can be cleaned well, but I'm not crazy sensitive.

Same here.

Gluten free since 1990.

Diagnosed by duodenal biopsy.

You don't stop skiing because you get old. You get old because you stop skiing :-)