Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rain

Rash - Is It Related To Celiac

I have a rash over much of my body that is not dermatitis herpetiformus. At first I thought it was exema from sun exposure (which I get) but this is behaving very differently. I have had it for 4 months. The skin burns and itches intensely. It is disrupting my sleep and limiting my movement. Cortisone cream does not help. I've been trying natural alternatives (yogurt, onion, aloe, turmeric) which have helped reduce the inflammation but not cured. I have no idea what this is, but I do have a doctor's appt scheduled for next week. I'm otherwise doing very well in terms of digestion, mood, and energy.

My thought was that this was a toxin release but this seems to intense.

I'd appreciate any insights - thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have a rash over much of my body that is not dermatitis herpetiformus. At first I thought it was exema from sun exposure (which I get) but this is behaving very differently. I have had it for 4 months. The skin burns and itches intensely. It is disrupting my sleep and limiting my movement. Cortisone cream does not help. I've been trying natural alternatives (yogurt, onion, aloe, turmeric) which have helped reduce the inflammation but not cured. I have no idea what this is, but I do have a doctor's appt scheduled for next week. I'm otherwise doing very well in terms of digestion, mood, and energy.

My thought was that this was a toxin release but this seems to intense.

I'd appreciate any insights - thanks.

My best guess would be an additional food intolerance, especially if it developed after you stopped eating gluten. I had several different intolerances manifest themselves as rashes, itchy rashes, and hives after I went gluten free. Among them - soy, potatoes, citrus.

Check what you have been eating and see if you have been consuming an abundance of any one thing, and try cutting it out and see if it helps, Or it may be more than one. Soy is often an intolerance that accompanies gluten and that is where I would start. It cold also be a problem with dairy. Eliminate a whole food group, like dairy, for four days and see if you see some improvement. Then try another until you come up with an answer.

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009

(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009

Legume free March 2010

Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Why are you so sure it is not DH? It sure does sound like it. Have you checked all your topicals for gluten ingredients? Just in case it is DH do you consume iodine in salt or supplements? Also distilled gluten grains in alcohol or vinegar will flare my DH although most can tolerate it.

If it is for sure not DH do you use sunblock? In my case there is not a single one I can use without problems.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Thanks for your ideas. I have looked at the possibility of other foods but maybe not enough? I have cut out soy. I have taken dairy out and when that made no difference I put yoghurt in for the probiotic. I can take it out but I don't expect that to be the problem. I have reduced corn. I had a dermatologist check it to see if it was DH - it's not. And the rash isn't consistent with DH descriptions. Hard to say what this is.

I finally got a prescription for a mild steroid from my internist. Also we had some cloudy days. The rash cleared right up - in 2 days tops.

The sun came back out and the rash is back, first the bumps, then the insane itching that keeps me up at night and the herpes simplex blisters (cold sores) all around my mouth and nose. Ahhhh!!!!!!!!! I'm so frustrated.

I see the gastro doc this week and am making an appt to see the dermatologist.

On the DH forum I read that feeling better from the DH meds is a good indicator of whether or not it is DH. I'll ask the gastro about that. If it's a food allergy I'm going to lose my mind - I really can't figure out what other allergens it might be. I can guess maybe potatoes..but really, I think I just don't like them much.

I do feel better in other areas day by day, particularly mentally, but I am SO aggravated by this sensation that everything is a possible trigger.. I'm going to try out the support groups. I might feel better with company.

Thanks!

I finally got a prescription for a mild steroid from my internist. Also we had some cloudy days. The rash cleared right up - in 2 days tops.

The sun came back out and the rash is back, first the bumps, then the insane itching that keeps me up at night and the herpes simplex blisters (cold sores) all around my mouth and nose. Ahhhh!!!!!!!!! I'm so frustrated.

On the DH forum I read that feeling better from the DH meds is a good indicator of whether or not it is DH. I'll ask the gastro about that. If it's a food allergy I'm going to lose my mind - I really can't figure out what other allergens it might be. I can guess maybe potatoes..but really, I think I just don't like them much.

I do feel better in other areas day by day, particularly mentally, but I am SO aggravated by this sensation that everything is a possible trigger.. I'm going to try out the support groups. I might feel better with company.

Thanks!

Have they ruled out Lupus? Are you on any meds that cause sunsensitivity?

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Thanks!

Two thoughts aroused by your post. First, do you use sunscreen? I develop a photodermatitis to sunscreens after I have been using them a while, and have to change to another. It produces an itchy dermatitis which does respond to steroids. I have just had this happen again.

And second, potatoes gave (give) me rashes and hives. The nightshade family can be a problem.

Just tossing these out for your consideration. :)

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009

(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009

Legume free March 2010

Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Two thoughts aroused by your post. First, do you use sunscreen? I develop a photodermatitis to sunscreens after I have been using them a while, and have to change to another. It produces an itchy dermatitis which does respond to steroids. I have just had this happen again.

And second, potatoes gave (give) me rashes and hives. The nightshade family can be a problem.

Just tossing these out for your consideration. :)

Sunscreen - I do use sunscreen but am aware of the possibility of an allergic reaction, so this time was a trial to use sunscreen and see if it would make a difference. Plus, even though the rash started on my face it has spread to areas that were not exposed to sun.

I've gotten rashes on my belly from food, but all over? Is that possible? With that much itchiness? Of course this all started after I went off gluten so I guess it could?

Thanks for your thoughts. It's so helpful..