This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tasty gluten-free Snack Foods

RachelisFacebook

RachelisFacebook Apprentice

In April, I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. Well, I've always been overweight, and I'm trying to lose weight, but taking gluten out of my diet has posed in issue in that I'm always hungry. I have replaced some foods with gluten-free others, but I figured "if I just don't buy the cookies without gluten, I won't eat them." WRONG. I end up binging on full-gluten products and completely regretting it a few hours later. What are some *tasty* gluten-free options that I can buy as cookies and the like, that taste good and I can stop at maybe 2 or 3 instead of a whole bag of full-gluten cookies that I'll regret well before morning?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Dixiebell Contributor

Glutino makes cookies like oreos that are very good. My son likes Pamalas choc chip cookies and also Enviro Kids choc rice crispie bars. We also like the glutino pretzels, you could dip them in peanut butter. Also an apple with peanut butter is really good. The Chex cereals might be better than cookies. They have choc, honey nut and cinnamon. Those are also very good when you want something sweet.

sb2178 Enthusiast

Kinnikinnick has some good pseudo oreos as well. If you can still do dairy, you can eat something like cannoli cream (ricotta and whipped cream) with fruit. Puddings (rice, chocolate, tapioca, etc) are also an option. Squares of dark chocolate or toffee may also be an option, or hard candies. Dried fruit could do it too. Mini-Larabars are available but I think you have to buy a variety box, not just one flavor.

Carrots with PB & honey are also good. And there is always ants on a log...

Wenmin Enthusiast

How about Yogurt, cottage cheese, peanut butter and honey on a lundberg farm rice cake or glutino crackers, frozen yogurt with a splash of cherry juice, fruits, cheese and glutino crackers, fruit smoothie (yogurt, banana, strawberries, and a dash of oj or milk), Ians animal crackers with chocolate milk? These are some of my go to classics.

Wenmin

kareng Grand Master

I know what you mean. Carrots and hummus are delish but just don't always cut it. Dixiebell suggested Chex. They are easy to eat lower fat and calorie than cookies and candy. Pickles are crunchy and salty. I get Hormel Natural cold cuts and eat a couple of them with the cereal. The protein helps you feel fuller and they are about 3slices for 50 calories. We have AE skim chocolate milk sweetened with Splenda so it has about the same calories as regular skim milk.

Janelee63 Newbie

I know what you mean. Carrots and hummus are delish but just don't always cut it. Dixiebell suggested Chex. They are easy to eat lower fat and calorie than cookies and candy. Pickles are crunchy and salty. I get Hormel Natural cold cuts and eat a couple of them with the cereal. The protein helps you feel fuller and they are about 3slices for 50 calories. We have AE skim chocolate milk sweetened with Splenda so it has about the same calories as regular skim milk.

Chex has a new (I think it's new)rice chex with cinnamon...it is delish.

Aphreal Contributor

The American cookie company has one lone gluten-free cookie and it tastes like the full fledged gluten filled sweet piece of heaven. Chocolate chewy supreme. I asked them if they make them there... with the others. I was told they make them at the factory and insured they were gluten-free. I did not ask if they shared cooking pans but I eat them and I don't seem to have a problem.

I have tried a couple of other gluten-free cookies and they are just.. sorry but nasty. If I REALLY need a cookie, I will make the trip for the american cookie company one.

Also try dry chocolate chex. They are gluten-free.

Since going gluten-free 3 weeks ago, I have gone with full fat cleaner foods and lost 4 lbs since. I eat rice crisps with hummus a lot because its my fav but i also eat a LOT more produce and my processed food consumption has dropped dramatically. I also now eat almost no junk food. I do not feel deprived and I am never hungry since I eat about 6x a day. Watermelon and yogurt are always on hand. Now a days they have tons of new tasty yogurts out there. Yoplait is gluten-free.. well most of them. I buy the ones that have gluten-free on the container.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

You're always hungry because your body has suddenly figured out it can get nutrition! Go onto a good multivitamin supplement, and snack on lots of nutrient-dense foods like berries and nuts.

I don't really have much more self-control with gluten-free cookies than normal ones. :lol: I love Udi's blueberry muffins, the Glutino dream cookies that taste like oreos, and the wonderful Mrs. May's nut crunch products. Most of the natural ice creams like Breyer's are gluten-free as long as you don't get a "cookie" or "cookie dough" flavor.

missceliac2010 Apprentice

At my local grocery store (FoodMaxx) I found Betty Crocker Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix! My 11 year old is doing a trial on the gluten-free diet because he thinks he might have Celiac too. He's been watching me, listening to my symptoms, etc, and made a very "big boy" decision to try the diet and just see what happens. Anyway, knowing that he's a kid and sweets would be nice for him, I bought the box.

We baked them together this evening and they are to die for! He is a very picky eater, and these are the first gluten-free sweets he has liked. They have the same consistency of a "regular" cookie and lots of chocolate chips. We are both in heaven! Try them! I bet they are mass produced and sent out all over the country considering they are Betty Crocker. They were right next to other cookie mixes in the grocery store.

Good luck!

In April, I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. Well, I've always been overweight, and I'm trying to lose weight, but taking gluten out of my diet has posed in issue in that I'm always hungry. I have replaced some foods with gluten-free others, but I figured "if I just don't buy the cookies without gluten, I won't eat them." WRONG. I end up binging on full-gluten products and completely regretting it a few hours later. What are some *tasty* gluten-free options that I can buy as cookies and the like, that taste good and I can stop at maybe 2 or 3 instead of a whole bag of full-gluten cookies that I'll regret well before morning?

summerteeth Enthusiast

Whoever posted about ants on a log... oh I love those... so good.

Since there is so much in season, my favorite snack is fruit and veggies. You really can't beat watermelon on a triple digit day.

bananas with PB (here I go with peanut butter again...)

They are not lo cal per say, but I love rice krispie treats. I make mine with either chex or with EnviroKidz chocolate rice cereal, not with Rice Krispy brand cereal, of course.

Oskri makes quinoa bars that are delicious, too. And they are super filling.

I made BLT bites last night for a work cook out I am going to this afternoon (slice a cherry tomato in half and gut it, fill it with a mix of 1/2 light mayo, 1/2 light sour cream , chopped chives, put a small slice of bacon on it and a little piece of lettuce and stab it with a toothpick- they are very tasty and were a hit in my house).

A little tupperware full of "anti pasto" stuff makes a good snack - a few slices of lunch meat, some pickles, some olives, a few veggies (broccoli, cherry tomatoes, cauliflower), a bit of cheese, maybe some sliced fruit... that is a great snack and you can really put anything in it. I actually eat this for lunch some days.

Lundberg rice cake with apple butter, pb, honey, tuna, anything really... I like tapenade on mine.

Puppy chow! My favorite "retro" snack.

K8ling Enthusiast

The betty crocker mix is DELICIOUS!! Also, I buy the Pamelas Chocolate Chunk when I feel like I need a sweet treat. I just bought the spicy ginger ones so I'll see how those work out but so far all of the Pamela's products ROCK.

Someone else said that you are always hungry now because your body is craving nutrients...thats true! I went through that as well, our grocery bill was SO high that month. It passed though and now I am more normal in my eating habits. Hang in there and remember the less self control you have over Gluten filled products, the longer you are going to feel like this. Your body has to heal for the constant hunger pangs to stop.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

If you are super hungry all the time try eating a high protein snack instead of your usual high-carb, high sugar. If you eat something like a hard boiled egg or a piece of meat or even just a spoonful of natural (or low sugar) peanut butter then you will be less hungry latter than if you eat carbs. But if you have to have a carby sweet snack, don't go for the gluteny stuff obviously. Everyone posted great ideas for gluten free snacks.

Nor-TX Enthusiast

I have developed a peanut butter intolerance (it makes my lips tingle) so I use Justins Maple Almond butter with the Glutino pretzels. I eat this at staff meeting while everyone else snacks on gluten laden foods and still don't feel deprived.

I also keep Katz Gluten Free Rugelach in the freezer. I take a couple and pop them in the microwave for 15 seconds and spread them with dairy free margarine and brew a cup of pomegranite tea... Mmmmmmm.....

Whole Foods carries a large line of loose flavored teas that are gluten-free. They are super expensive, but I but little baggies of different flavors and each back comes out to less than one dollar. The Tangerine Giner is excellent too!

RachelisFacebook Apprentice

Wow! Thanks everyone. :) I never really realized how many options there really were...I guess I was too preoccupied with the fact that I couldn't have "normal," gluten-laden cookies that really aren't good for me anyway. :D Thanks again!!

<3

danaf617 Explorer

I loooooove cookies. Like, really love cookies. I may or may not have frequently conquered an entire full size package in less than 24 hours. By myself. :ph34r:

I bought Pamela's chocolate chunk when I went gluten-free. They sat in my cabinet, unopened for 2 weeks because they just didn't look great and surely they couldn't satisfy a cookie monster such as myself. Wrong! They are delish! And the first time I tried them, I had one. O-N-E. That is unheard of for me. :lol: My period is coming and the cravings are strong so I had 2 today. But I was totally satisfied with just those two.

Like others said, lots of different ice creams are safe too. I am dairy free also now so I have Haagen Daaz sorbet in the freezer. Yum!

Skylark Collaborator

I loooooove cookies. Like, really love cookies. I may or may not have frequently conquered an entire full size package in less than 24 hours. By myself. :ph34r:

There is a REASON I hardly ever buy cookies, gluten-free or otherwise. :ph34r: I claim no responsibility for the rapid disappearance of an entire package of chocolate coconut macaroons. It was um... the pantry hedgehog. Yes, the hedgehog that lives in my cabinets. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I bought Pamela's chocolate chunk when I went gluten-free. They sat in my cabinet, unopened for 2 weeks because they just didn't look great and surely they couldn't satisfy a cookie monster such as myself. Wrong! They are delish! And the first time I tried them, I had one. O-N-E. That is unheard of for me. :lol: My period is coming and the cravings are strong so I had 2 today. But I was totally satisfied with just those two.

Like others said, lots of different ice creams are safe too. I am dairy free also now so I have Haagen Daaz sorbet in the freezer. Yum!

Another thing you can try if you are dairy free is coconut ice cream. There's a brand that even makes gluten free dairy free and soy free chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream. Yum! :)

bbuster Explorer

This is not exactly what you asked, but consider trying ZonePerfect Bars.

Not all flavors are gluten-free, but several are, including Double Dark Chocolate, Chocolate Caramel Cluster, Chocolate Graham (despite the name) and Chocolate Almond Raisin. They have a lot of protein and can satisfy a chocolate fix. My teenage son is the only Celiac in the family - he has one of these for school lunch most days, and I would think he would be tired of them but then he will come home and have one for a snack. I frequently have one as a quick lunch at work, or when travelling. Compared to (just picking one) Pamela's Chocolate Chunk Cookies:

------------------calories...fat grams...protein grams...carb grams

2 cookies:........240..........12..............2..............32

Zone Bar:.........210...........7.............15..............23

They also make a snack size that is roughly 1/3 the size of the regular bars.

i-geek Rookie

My sister-in-law just got married and had a dessert reception. Since an uncle and I both have celiac disease, she bought Katz gluten-free cookies and put them in pretty packages for us. The chocolate chip ones were good, the chocolate-dipped wafers were awesome.

I'm not a big sweets eater normally, so snacks usually consist of Kind bars or Larabars, Lundberg rice cakes with peanut butter (apple-cinnamon ones are the best), Greek-style yogurt with honey or fruit, raw almonds, cheese, or a couple pieces of good dark chocolate (I really like Dagoba).

Archived