This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Duaghter Semi-Diagnosed With Gi And/or Celiac

KimKF

KimKF Apprentice

Daughter just got out of the hospital a few hours ago after a long spell of years with gastro problems and the myriad of other symptoms associated with Celiac or Gluten Intolerance. The biopsy was inconclusive. They do feel she needs to go on the complete Gluten Free diet, given her relatively positive response to being gluten free for a few days. She exited the hospital, after a few days of gluten free and some subsiding of stomach pains, and no diarrhea or throwing up in 3 days (first time in 4 weeks) and she was feeling better than she had in awhile (although weak). On the way home she was dizzy and nauseous and threw up and then thew up when she got home. She is so afraid to become dehydrated.

Is the nausea unusual?

Out of rice, bananas and applesauce, she only likes rice. Is that alright? She loved the Kozy Shack Smartgels jello in the hospital. Would this be alright to include, along with a few of Snyders new Gluten Free Pretzels?

Doctors are so all over the board and from what I have read on here, there is an element of Gluten Withdrawal along with the stomach healing that requires much patience. Correct? Explain please.

Thanks in advance.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

Poor thing. This isn't withdrawal yet. She's just still sick from all that gluten. Sipping half-Gatorade, half-water is what I've had doctors recommend for dehydration. My understanding is straight Gatorade is a little too strong. (Yes, Gatorade is gluten-free.)

Rice is fine. The jello is fine, as are the gluten-free pretzels. I like the Glutino ones as well.

I like to make egg drop soup with some gluten-free broth and rice when my stomach is tender and I'm feeling a little more hungry. The egg is easy for me to digest and adds some richness and protein to the soup. (Boil some broth, put the egg into a cup and beat it, stir and pour the beaten egg slowly into the boiling broth so it breaks into little pieces and cooks quickly.) If I remember correctly Pacifica and Progresso broths are gluten-free, as is Herb-Ox bouillon. To get the real Chinese flavor if she likes such things, you would put in a little green onion, a slice of ginger, a little San-J tamari, and a drop of sesame oil in as you heat the broth.

Some people do get into gluten withdrawal, either cravings or getting sick for a little while. I have no idea what the physiology is or why it happens to people. I never had any problems with it personally. My body went "whew - rid of that awful stuff".

ravenwoodglass Mentor

At this point I would only use the Snyder's pretzels if you can call them and confirm that they are made in a dedicated plant. If they are making them in the same place they are making the regular pretzels IMHO the risk of CC is very high. Glutino pretzels are good if she can tolerate soy. If in doubt about that Wylde pretzels are soy and gluten free.

KimKF Apprentice

The last I heard, she was sleeping soundly. Good sign! Thanks for the 1/2 gatorade and 1/2 water suggestion! She doesn't like alot of foods (ie, applesauce, bananas), so rice, chicken, jello will be her mainstay for a bit. I do believe she is anxious that this isn't going to work and she'll be back to square one. Time will heal and give her confidence, I hope.

cassP Contributor

The last I heard, she was sleeping soundly. Good sign! Thanks for the 1/2 gatorade and 1/2 water suggestion! She doesn't like alot of foods (ie, applesauce, bananas), so rice, chicken, jello will be her mainstay for a bit. I do believe she is anxious that this isn't going to work and she'll be back to square one. Time will heal and give her confidence, I hope.

definitely listen to her body-> even when i am gluten free & feel fine- bananas make me nauseous!!! BIG TIME- i ALWAYS have to eat them with something- almond butter or gluten-free cereal, or ice cream :) if i eat bananas ALONE- i could very easily be hovered over the toilet- NO LIE.

and apples can be too acidic for some- i, personally canNOT handle the Fructose overload.

and dont worry- she WILL feel better soon- and there's plenty of people here to help

climbmtwhitney Apprentice

definitely listen to her body-> even when i am gluten free & feel fine- bananas make me nauseous!!! BIG TIME- i ALWAYS have to eat them with something- almond butter or gluten-free cereal, or ice cream :) if i eat bananas ALONE- i could very easily be hovered over the toilet- NO LIE.

and apples can be too acidic for some- i, personally canNOT handle the Fructose overload.

and dont worry- she WILL feel better soon- and there's plenty of people here to help

Yes, there often is an element of gluten withdrawl. My daughter, who was 10 at the time, felt wonderful the first 5 or 6 days gluten-free. But, then she felt like she had the flu for about a week. After that she felt wonderful again. I too felt so good the first week, but then my withdrawl lasted about 4 or 5 months before I got to the "other side".

Nausea was a big symptom for my daughter as well. We couldn't go anywhere without a ziploc in the car. :blink: But now we're good to go!

I'm so glad you figured out what was causing your daughter so much grief. Hang in there. Hopefully, she'll feel much better soon. BTW you may notice other intolerances (such as dairy or soy) as she begins to heal. And, fresh, unprocessed foods are the best for her.

Jillian

Archived