Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

srfjeld

Celiac And Dairy Problems?

I recently found out that I have Celiac disease and when I was tested I also learned that I am not allergic to dairy like so many with Celiac are... However, the past few days I've been waking up with severe cramping in my lower abdominals and diarrhea. I've been completely gluten-free with no chance of CC but I've eaten a lot of dairy (pizza, glass of milk, quiche with cheese). That's all I can relate it to.

Is it possible that even though it didn't show up on my test as being an allergy I'm just temporarily intolerant? I haven't been able to speak with my naturopath yet. I hate the thought of giving up dairy (I love cheese) but I guess it's a small sacrifice to pay so that I don't have to go through this every morning.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thank you,

Stephanie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Not uncommon at all. Sometimes your intestines need time to heal before they can digest dairy and soy. Cut them out for a couple of months and then try adding them to your diet one at a time.

1960s-had symptoms-could have been before but don't remember

1970s-told had colitis or nervous stomach-was given phenobarbital, felt great but still had symptoms

Me, dd and ds diagnosed with Lactose Intolerance

2000-osteopenia

2001-had stroke because of medications I was given

June 2003-saw Chiropractor who specialized in nutrition: Celiac Disease not Lactose Intolerance, went gluten free with once in awhile cheating, off soy and dairy for about 6 months

June 2003-found excellent doctor for fibromyalgia (who has found out she has Celiac Disease)

May 2006-went gluten free with NO cheating-excellent! Made all the difference in the world

Udi's makes pizza crust???? Yum! I haven't heard of people getting CC'd from Udi's. Guess it's the cheese. I was intolerant to cow casein for a while after starting gluten-free. Happily, I could eat some goat dairy.

Udi's makes pizza crust???? Yum! I haven't heard of people getting CC'd from Udi's. Guess it's the cheese. I was intolerant to cow casein for a while after starting gluten-free. Happily, I could eat some goat dairy.

They do and it's wonderful... as are their bagels.. I mean, they are REAL bagels! I've heard their muffins are great, too but I have yet to try them.

The muffins are very good. I had the blueberry. They are a touch more "springy" than normal ones, but the flavor was fantastic. I haven't seen Udi's bagels. I'll have to keep an eye out. There is only one store reasonably close to my house that has Udi's. I usually eat the Glutino poppyseed ones and like them well enough, but they're a little lighter than REAL bagels.