This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Puffins

debbie-doodles

debbie-doodles Contributor

I found a brand at my local grocery store called Puffins. They have cereals and bars and a few other things. They say wheat free, but I don't know if they are gluten free as well. Does anyone here eat that brand? They look really good. I did notice in the ingredients list that it has oat flour. Is oat flour a no-no for celiacs? I've read so much concerning oats and things with oats and whether or not its okay for celiacs to eat that its all jumbled in my brain now. Any thoughts from anyone? I need help! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I wouldn't eat them because of the oats.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I am one of the people completely against oats. In the US contamination of wheat is with the oats so those are definitely a no no. There is also a protein in oats called avenin that some celiacs may react to.

I would stay away from them..when something says wheat free then read over the label very carefully because most likely it will have rye,barley, or oats

VydorScope Proficient

There are ONLY 2 Puffins cerals that are gluten free, of which my store only caries one. The Puffin Honey Rice one, the other is a version of Corn Flakes.

Heres the list of their Gluten free stuff...

Open Original Shared Link

All I know for sure is thier Puffins Honey rice cearl is pretty good. Not tried any of the rest.

Guest nini

I wouldn't eat them because of the Oatmeal. I did try them once and got ill.

Guest barbara3675

Please let me back one of the former people up when I say that Barbara's Honey Rice Puffins IS gluten free....I am eating a bowel of them now and eat them for breakfast nearly every morning. I searched high and low for a cereal before finding them. The are so good, stay cruchy in your bowl until the last bite, kind of have an slight almond flavor. I eat them with rice milk as I have an intolerance to cow's milk/can eat it if it is highly processed, but not just poured or I don't eat cow's milk ice cream either. Some of the other Barbara's cereals DO have gluten, but the HOney Rice Puffins do not. Give them a try.

Barbara

debbie-doodles Contributor

Thanks guys! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 month later...
angellove839 Rookie

I ate them yesterday morning and got sick :( . I wish I saw this topic earlier!!

Guest gfinnebraska

I, personally, would not eat anything with oat flour in it. Yes, there is a debate ~ some do, some don't. I would not. Sorry!!! :(

VydorScope Proficient
I, personally, would not eat anything with oat flour in it.  Yes, there is a debate ~ some do, some don't.  I would not.  Sorry!!!  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I completely agree. But I do like the Puffins Honey Rice cearal (which does not have oats in it, and is labled Gluten Free)!

REMEBER WHEAT FREE DOES NOT MEAN GLUTEN FREE

I have to hammer this in with my family constantly. :(

killernj13 Enthusiast
I completely agree. But I do like the Puffins Honey Rice cearal (which does not have oats in it, and is labled Gluten Free)!

REMEBER WHEAT FREE DOES NOT MEAN GLUTEN FREE

I have to hammer this in with my family constantly. :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know what you mean about the family. My wife & sister both bought me those bars on separate occassions.

The Honey Rice puffins are very good. I even find myself snacking on them out of the box.

jackiepcmc Newbie
I found a brand at my local grocery store called Puffins.  They have cereals and bars and a few other things.  They say wheat free, but I don't know if they are gluten free as well.  Does anyone here eat that brand?  They look really good.  I did notice in the ingredients list that it has oat flour.  Is oat flour a no-no for celiacs?  I've read so much concerning oats and things with oats and whether or not its okay for celiacs to eat that its all jumbled in my brain now.  Any thoughts from anyone?  I need help!  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Honey Rice Puffins are gluten free and really good, I buy them for my daughter and eat them myself. The Puffins cereal say wheat free on the front of the box but that doesn't mean gluten free, we learned this the painful way. Look on the side panel of the box under "Dietary Features" and it will list whether it is gluten free. We've only tried the cereals. Hope you like them! JP

LKelly8 Rookie

The honey rice Puffins are great. You can get them (here in the south florida) at any Publix store that has a decent size "GreenWise" (organic/specialty food) section. Whole Foods carries them, obviously, and Publix Corp. is starting a new kind of store, to compete with Whole Foods, called GreenWise. We don't have a Whole Foods nearby so we're anxiously awaiting the arrival of the GreenWise store in Palm City, FL.

Anyway, here's the ingredient list: Wholegrain Brown Rice Flour, Dehydrated Cane Juice, Rice Bran, Honey, Expeller Pressed High Oleic Oil (Canola and/or Sunflower), Sea Salt, Natural Flavor, Natural Vitamin E (Mixed Tocopherols).

"Made in a peanut-free facility. Made on equipment that manufactures products containing dairy, soy, and tree nuts."

"Dietary Features - 100% Natural, Low Fat, No Hydrogenated oils or Trans Fats, No Cholesterol, Dairy Free, Vegetarian, Wheat Free, Gluten Free, No Artificial Flavors, Colors or Preservatives, Kosher"

...oh, and PS - save the crumbled bits at the bottom of the bag, they're really good on ice cream!

BamBam Community Regular

I just ordered three boxes of Honey Rice Puffins. I can't wait to get them!!

bambam

Archived