Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

K8ling

Immune Boosters

The nurse at the pediatricians office suggested giving my kid an immune supplement and acidophilous (I spelled that wrong, sorry lol) supplement since he has never been around other kids before in a school type setting. I'm wondering if I should give them to him with food? Is it even worth my time? I want to keep him from catching everything if I can or at least help him not be so miserable if he does catch something. My husband laughed at me, am I being stupid??

Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The nurse at the pediatricians office suggested giving my kid an immune supplement and acidophilous (I spelled that wrong, sorry lol) supplement since he has never been around other kids before in a school type setting. I'm wondering if I should give them to him with food? Is it even worth my time? I want to keep him from catching everything if I can or at least help him not be so miserable if he does catch something. My husband laughed at me, am I being stupid??

what kind of immune supplement?? does your son have GI or Celiac?

wanting to give your son extra supplements isnt stupid at all- i would want the same- but i would decide depending on the ingredients- because those of us with autoimmune genetics or "hypervigillant" immune systems might be better off without some of those things like Echinacea for one...

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

I agree vitamins might not be a bad idea but I would stay away from immune boosters. As the other poster mentioned our immune systems are in 'hyperdrive' to such an extent that they are even attacking our own bodies. You may find he doesn't really catch most of the stuff going around anyway, I haven't even had a cold since I was diagnosed even when working in the school system. Since it is a good idea for us to wash our hands frequently to prevent the CC issue if you just ask them to make sure he washes his hands before eating his gluten-free snacks that will help also. Do make sure they are aware of his sensitivity at school so they keep him away from any playdoh or baking projects etc.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

well HE doesn't have celiac or an intolerance that we know of yet. He is accustomed to eating gluten-free though because of me. I do let him eat "normal" snacks at playgroup but he usually comes to me and asks for MY snacks instead.

The lil kid vitamins I got him are made specifically for toddlers and they're gluten-free and natural, basically just a simple multivitamin.

Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

well HE doesn't have celiac or an intolerance that we know of yet. He is accustomed to eating gluten-free though because of me. I do let him eat "normal" snacks at playgroup but he usually comes to me and asks for MY snacks instead.

The lil kid vitamins I got him are made specifically for toddlers and they're gluten-free and natural, basically just a simple multivitamin.

I would just stick with the vitamins your giving him and if you think he needs a probiotic some yogurt would be IMHO the way to go rather than a pill.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Thanks guys. I talked to one of my friends who is a pediatric nurse and she said I was doing all right with giving him one vitamin in the morning. The bottle says two but I thought that was overkill.