This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I'm So Confused Am I Or Am I Not

marie33

marie33 Rookie

I had a blood test done to see if I was celiac and it was negative! I'm so confused :( I have always had trouble gaining weight all my life. I have always been constipated and had stomach trouble. Major fatigue, Aching body and especially my neck. I have geographic tongue. I have night sweats and hot flashes here and there and cold flashes. Major mood swings. Major irritability. Major bloating and a very uncomfortable stomach after I eat wheat products. My heart races and sometimes I have trouble breathing.....Does anyone know how accurate the blood tests are? I feel like throwing up as well off and on when I eat wheat. I go off of gluten this all goes away. I have severe anxiety and panic attacks and they go down to barely anything...but they say its negative from the blood test so I'm not sure what to think??? Any ideas??? Cereal makes my stomach go crazy as well as any beer and breads......

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

The blood tests have a high false negative rate. If you were gluten free or even gluten lite for a while before you had the blood test done it will make the results inaccurate. The best test now is to stop eating gluten. If your symptoms go away when you stop eating gluten then you have your answer. It sounds like you already figured that out, so listen to your body.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

There are fairly high rates of false negatives with the blood tests. Were you gluten free or gluten light when the panels were drawn? If you were that could be one reason why but false negatives occur even when folks are eating a full gluten diet.

If you have resolution of your issues gluten free you don't need a doctors permission to be gluten free. There are folks on here that are 'self diagnosed' but if you are going to get any more testing done make sure you stay on gluten until the testing is finished.

Dixiebell Contributor

My sons blood tests were negative as were mine. He was having so many problems and with our family history of all sorts of illness we opted to not do the endo. instead we tried the gluten-free diet and it is working. He had severe constipation, many different types of rashes, headaches, very strange looking BM's, trouble breathing(rarely) and whined alot. I am so glad his ped Dr. sent him for celiac test or I never would have known about it.

ToriMartin Apprentice

I had a blood test recently which was negative. However, I have known all my life I'm allergic to Wheat Starch & Wheat Gluten. My worst problems have been over the last 12 years & recently got worst. So, I went on nothing but Veggies & Meat for 5 days. Introduced Dairy, Bad IBS the next day. Eat Jerkey not knowing it had some gluten in it, same thing... So, it's my understanding that I dont' have celiac but am Gluten Intolerant. Everything makes sense now. I honestly can care less what a Dr says these days... I'm ashamed that they don't listen or try to help. I don't care what tests show. All I know is what reactions happen when I eat something I shouldn't.

I know how you feel :) Good Luck!

Archived