This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Toddler Celiac Or Allergy?need Help Please

marie33

marie33 Rookie

I have 5 children and last child is so different she is always so severel constipated that she bleeds when she has a bowel movement and cries and screams. It so awful :(

She has major mood swings,never happy, very bloated and gassy and won't really eat much of anything...They told me to give her liquid laxatives and I did for a couple days but it was awful. Her mood swings are not just being a toddler there's something more there. So I took her off gluten for two weeks and she for the first time started going to the bathroom properly everyday without any problems and is less moddy and less bloated..... What do you think???? My son also has the same problems as myself and my toddler...Exact same things. We have all went off gluten and feel amazing. My sons tantrums go away. He doesn't sweat at night and he sooooooo much calmer....Does this sound like an allergy or celiac....Any help would be greatly appriciated...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommyto3 Contributor

My son was just diagnosed as celiac and once we took him off of gluten his mood swings, anger, tantrums, and overall bad behaviour improved IMMENSELY. It's like flicking a switch. If he gets glutened I can tell right away by the way he acts.

My daughter also had really bad pooping problems when she was 3. It lasted for about 6 months and it was the worst 6 months of our life. She didn't bleed but she was SEVERELY constipated, going only every 4 days or so. When she went she would scream like someone was killing her. It made me cry on many occasions. We did the whole route with liquid laxatives, enemas, etc etc but nothing ever got to the root of the problem. What finally took care of things for us was removing dairy from her diet. Right away she was so much better. The only downer is that we then had to deal with the fact that she was terrified to poop. It was a long and awful process but we got through it.

I'm celiac along with my son and I suspect my two other daughters are too so we just went ahead and took everyone off of gluten. I figure having myself and my son diagnosed is enough reason to remove the wheat. I don't want to take chances and end up with them damaged in the long run.

Good luck....it will get better. And trust me, I know the pain you're going through with the constipation. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy :(

AllergyQ Newbie

Just wondering if either of you had your children blood tested. I found out in June that i have Celiac thru + blood test and then + biospy. My two youngest 7yrs and 2yrs have both had issues with bad constipation. Now my 7yr old has been having alot of

stomach aches and gets nauseated. I took her to a GI Pedi Doctor and they did blood work and her blood was neg.

I took it upon myself to switch her to lactaid milk because it

seems like when ever she eats ice cream she gets a stomache ache. This has seemed to help. The doctor was going to send me a kit in the mail to check her for lactose intolerence but of course nothing has come yet.

I had all three of my children blood tested and all three came back neg.

Im wondering if i should trust the blood test.

T.H. Community Regular

I think it could be celiac, allergy, or sensitivity (which there's no test for other than what you're seeing. and which won't likely be believed unless you have an exceptional doctor).

My moods improved hugely going off gluten, and I have celiac disease. They improved going off of foods I was diagnosed as having an allergy for. And then they improved even more when I dropped a few foods that seemed to give me trouble. Keeping a food journal, I can absolutely track my 'crazy feelings' back to certain foods. I'm lucky enough to have a doctor who's been with me for a while and has seen what's happening and believes me, because all tests say I should not be reacting to some of my foods.

Re: my kids. My kids improved a little off of gluten, but going off of a few other foods took care of the huge mood swings that my son has had since he was a toddler - I totally know what you mean re: that. It's not just 'being a toddler.' For my son, it was like someone broke off his switch where he could figure out 'enough was enough' and he would just lose it over the slightest thing, and it took him forever to get over it. I remember more than once him having a tantrum so severe he'd cry himself into exhaustion and then wake up and KEEP GOING!

It was SO crazy. You have my total sympathy!

Personally, I'd say that if it helps them to be off of it, keep doing what you're doing, because it seems like you are doing the right thing. Probably wouldn't hurt seeing an allergist, just in case, if you are concerned, however.

For celiac testing, they have to BE on gluten to be tested, for 6 weeks straight before the test I understand, so you'd have to make her feel sick again to get the test done. Many parents I know don't feel they need to know so badly that they want their child to have to do that, so simply go with what they are doing, ya know? It's up to you if you feel a diagnosis will be helpful.

Archived