This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Constant Peeing Symptom Or No?

my3monkees

my3monkees Rookie

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone here can help me. I have a 13 yr. old, with a "tentative" celiac diagnosis at 11. Ped. would have had to send her 2 hr. away for biopsy and my daughter came out and told us she would starve before eating gluten again. Hence the "tentative" diagnoses.

Problem now is my 7 yr son, he is starting to show the same symptoms as his sister. So I took him to the doctor, but at his age she doesn't want to make him gluten free. Her idea was to give him a tums before his meals and see if that helped. UGH! I also told her about the problems he has been having with having too pee constantly. Again she could come up with nothing to help me. No diabetes, no UTI, just said some kids have touchy bladders. If it gets too bad we can give him Detrol. Not exactly what I was looking for.

I did notice when I took him off gluten for a week or so, his peeing was less frequent. But, it is back with a vengeance now. He has been giving me a hard time about being gluten free ever since he heard the doctor say, he didn't need to be gluten free right now. So I decided to let him go back to eating it again, hoping when he started feeling bad again he would realize, he felt better without it and agree to continue gluten free. But right now he doesn't care, he would rather eat it and get nauseous.

He will go the night without peeing, but during the day it gets crazy. Sometimes every 10-15 min. Drives me nuts when we are out running errands!! Could the gluten be causing the problem? I don't know?

I'm just at a loss right now. I don't know which way to go? Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

weluvgators Explorer

One of my children and myself get frequent (often urgent) needs to urinate when we are exposed to gluten.

It's a real bummer that so many doctors are so willing to overlook the *families* in all of this. I really don't understand their attitudes about gluten free living sometimes.

Good luck figuring it out!

concernedmamma Explorer

So interesting that you should post that question! It is something that I have been wondering with my son (who was positively diagnosed in April of this year). Prior to diagnosis, he was ALWAYS in the bathroom- either with diarrhea or peeing. More recently we KNOW he was glutened (took a big bite of a regular hot dog and bun). The next day he was peeing every 20 minutes! And there is such urgency to his need to pee. He actually had an accident that day (he is 5 and hasn't had a daytime accident in years).

So, that was a long answer, but YES, I do think that constant Peeing could be a symptom, but could also be a symptom of something else too. Prior to my son's Celiac diagnosis, I had requested comprehensive blood work to be done him- including blood sugar, thyroid, celiac, etc.

Good Luck to you!

Kim

dkelm Rookie

Huh, I've always wondered too. Matt pee's a TON.

Again, I feel the need to make the disclaimer that we have not yet received a confirmed diagnosis. But this symptom is now added to the long list of other symptoms leaning towards that diagnosis.

aslmaloney Newbie

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone here can help me. I have a 13 yr. old, with a "tentative" celiac diagnosis at 11. Ped. would have had to send her 2 hr. away for biopsy and my daughter came out and told us she would starve before eating gluten again. Hence the "tentative" diagnoses.

Problem now is my 7 yr son, he is starting to show the same symptoms as his sister. So I took him to the doctor, but at his age she doesn't want to make him gluten free. Her idea was to give him a tums before his meals and see if that helped. UGH! I also told her about the problems he has been having with having too pee constantly. Again she could come up with nothing to help me. No diabetes, no UTI, just said some kids have touchy bladders. If it gets too bad we can give him Detrol. Not exactly what I was looking for.

I did notice when I took him off gluten for a week or so, his peeing was less frequent. But, it is back with a vengeance now. He has been giving me a hard time about being gluten free ever since he heard the doctor say, he didn't need to be gluten free right now. So I decided to let him go back to eating it again, hoping when he started feeling bad again he would realize, he felt better without it and agree to continue gluten free. But right now he doesn't care, he would rather eat it and get nauseous.

He will go the night without peeing, but during the day it gets crazy. Sometimes every 10-15 min. Drives me nuts when we are out running errands!! Could the gluten be causing the problem? I don't know?

I'm just at a loss right now. I don't know which way to go? Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have a 6 year old who was diagnosed with celiac one year ago. By the time I realized that her sister should also be tested I had already started the whole family on a gluten free diet and didn't want to add gluten to her diet since she didn't have any symptoms. I do allow my 4 year old to eat gluten if we are at friends house or for school snack.

This year my 4 year old has started to have urination problems just like you describe. She can go all night and not have an accident, but durring the day it is almost impossible to get anything done. The urologist seem to think that she is just under stress because I was expecting baby number 3 at the time. Things seem to have gotten a bit better this summer...no school and not seeing friends as much...less exposure to gluten? I am glad I stumbled on this thread today. I was actually about to call the pediatrician to have her tested for yet another uti as she is now telling me that her body is burning when she goes pee. She has never told me that she is in pain before and doesn't cry when she does go to the bathroom.

lovegrov Collaborator

I can't say if gluten is causing the peeing, but I'm definitely not too wild about your doctor. Doesn't want to put him on the diet at that age!!!!!!!! So when does the doctor want to put him on it? When he's so sick he's losing weight, or so anemic he has no energy at all, or when the diarrhea is so bad he can't come out of the bathroom?

I realize that you can't even be sure he has celiac. At least have the blood panel done and then go from there. That doesn't require driving two hours.

Good luck

richard

GFinDC Veteran

If your intestines are bloated with gas that could put pressure on the bladder and cause frequent peeing. It could be it is worse during the day because he is eating during the day and therefore feeding the bad bacteria in The gut and getting lots of gas from it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

aslmaloney Newbie

you may want to have glucose checked for diabetes. My sister asked a pediatric g.i. doc at the cleveland clinic and this was his suggestion as celiac and diabetes can go hand in hand.

mygfworld Apprentice

Based on the problems that I have had with school systems, I would insist on the formal biopsy diagnosis followed by a challenge. It amazes me the number of people who assume I put my kids on the gluten-free diet because I felt like it. Biopsy is the gold standard. I have biopsy positive. One child was inconclusive biopsy but has clear reactions to gluten. One symptom is the constant frequent urgent pee.

my3monkees Rookie

Thanks for the replies, at least now I know it is a definite possibility that is could be a symptom.

I thought about the possibility of diabetes, as my mother has been type 1 since age 12, and his blood sugar runs on the upper edge of normal. But doctor has ruled it out for now.

I do wish the doctors would take me more seriously. I am considering changing but not sure where else to go. It took me 3 years to get them to listen to me with my daughter. At first they kept telling me she just had a sensitive stomach, give her probiotics. I really had to get pushy to get them to listen. Even then they weren't quick to go with celiac, they insisted she get a lactose intolerance test first. Then when it came back positive, the one doctor was insisting that it wasn't the gluten, it was just that her intestines were messed up from lactose. Give her a month and she would be fine with gluten again. Wouldn't listen to me, that I knew she was lactose intolerant since she was 3 wks. old. She didn't do dairy anyway,I knew that wasn't it.

I homeschool, so I don't have to worry about school right now. But I would like to have diagnoses for future reference.

Thanks!

anabananakins Explorer

About the peeing, I've always been thirsty all the time and naturally have to pee a lot too. Some days I felt like all I did was walk to the water cooler or the bathroom. I don't have diabetes and no doctor has every found a reason for my constant thirst. But it resolved when I went gluten free.

abjhenson Newbie

I can completely relate. My daughter is 5. She had a positive biopsy almost 2 years ago but doctor will not completely diagnose her as celian without a second biopsy in which I can not afford. Her sysptoms at the time was constant constipation and diarhea. What I didn't realize at the time was her on again off again constant urine accidents. last October I took her to a urologist (I would recomed doing this)thinking it was a seperate issue and he put her on oxybutinin. It is for over active bladder. A side effect was constipation so I was really hesitant and gave her half of the recomended dose with miralax also and it helped but was not amazing or anything SO when I finally took her off the miralax and gave her the full dose the Dr. said to give her it actually helped with her urine issues AND her BM issues. My daughter can have accidents almost every day for a month if she has a Gluten encounter. So I do feel like they can go hand in hand with her gluten.

The poster who said people think you just put your kids on a gluten free diet just to do it...... I FELL YOUR PAIN. I am a single parent. Her father doesn't even know how or what to feed her. People thought for a long time that my daughter just felt like peeing in her pants OR that I was lazy.

NOW we have her on probiotics, prebiotics, vitamins, flax seed, oxybutinin and fish oil and a restricted diet, eliminating all soy, corn, potato, tomato, most dairy and processed foods and limited sugar. She is doing great. Accidents went away. I can asure you that my daughter wasn't just peeing on herself for the hell of it.

missy'smom Collaborator

Thanks for the replies, at least now I know it is a definite possibility that is could be a symptom.

I thought about the possibility of diabetes, as my mother has been type 1 since age 12, and his blood sugar runs on the upper edge of normal. But doctor has ruled it out for now.

I do wish the doctors would take me more seriously. I am considering changing but not sure where else to go. It took me 3 years to get them to listen to me with my daughter. At first they kept telling me she just had a sensitive stomach, give her probiotics. I really had to get pushy to get them to listen. Even then they weren't quick to go with celiac, they insisted she get a lactose intolerance test first. Then when it came back positive, the one doctor was insisting that it wasn't the gluten, it was just that her intestines were messed up from lactose. Give her a month and she would be fine with gluten again. Wouldn't listen to me, that I knew she was lactose intolerant since she was 3 wks. old. She didn't do dairy anyway,I knew that wasn't it.

I homeschool, so I don't have to worry about school right now. But I would like to have diagnoses for future reference.

Thanks!

I have a bone to pick with doctors and diabetes. Many wait too late to make a DX and accept numbers that are too high. It seems that you are informed but I would just encourage you to keep a close eye out. I don't think that we can just trust doctors when it comes to diabetes. We need to know our numbers and what they mean and advocate for ourselves. Sorry, I hate to say that but it comes from experience and I've seen far too many others DX later than they should have been as well. Early DX is SO important. The website bloosugar101 is a good resource. If his BG runs on the high side of "normal" then you don't have to wait for it to get higher. By contolling the diet, you can get those numbers down and he could possibly get some relief with the bladder issues. It might be a good experiment to try a low carbohydrate diet for a time and see how he reponds.

my3monkees Rookie

By contolling the diet, you can get those numbers down and he could possibly get some relief with the bladder issues. It might be a good experiment to try a low carbohydrate diet for a time and see how he reponds.

It's funny you say that, when I put him on the gluten free diet which just sort of naturally lowers the carbohydrates, at least the bad ones. I noticed his levels dropped back down to a average level.

We went to Burger King tonight and my dh said to let him get what he wanted. He got so sick afterward!Just reaffirms my thoughts that he needs to be gluten free. Might be curious to check his blood sugar in the morning, I haven't checked in a few weeks. See if its high with the bad carb overload.

missy'smom Collaborator

It's funny you say that, when I put him on the gluten free diet which just sort of naturally lowers the carbohydrates, at least the bad ones. I noticed his levels dropped back down to a average level.

We went to Burger King tonight and my dh said to let him get what he wanted. He got so sick afterward!Just reaffirms my thoughts that he needs to be gluten free. Might be curious to check his blood sugar in the morning, I haven't checked in a few weeks. See if its high with the bad carb overload.

I'd really encourage you to explore this more. There is alot that we don't have to accept when it comes to blood sugar. We have alot of power to contol it.

If you have a meter and strips then I would check his BG before a meal, at one hour and then again at two hours after his usual carby meal. That will give you a better picture of what's going on. Or, just check his one hours for a while. That is when blood sugar is usually at it's highest. Do some experiments like that and record the results. Many doctors go by the fasting blood sugar only for DX or further testing, or monitoring however many people fall through the cracks that way or are poorly managed. I have a relative who is looking like that is happening to. Any one-time reading does not present a good picture of what is going on. We don't all fit into the same convenient box. With me, my fasting on the testing day was upper 80's if I remember right, but I went up so high so fast I was shaking uncontrollably the first 30 min. then went up near 300 and didn't go down much at all even at hour 3. Who knows how long it took to come down. And I was walking around like that for years! My test shows that I am very insulin deficient-maybe only 7% left, but I can still keep my numbers in the non-diabetic range because I have very little if any insulin resistance and follow a strict low-carb diet. No meds. or insulin yet. So, dietary measures can go a long way. I'll just mention too that I had symptoms of high/elevated blood sugar when I was in HS, or earlier and frequent urination from a young age too. It wasn't until I was DX and treated diabetes that I finally got relief and could be just like others and go somewhere for hours and not use the restroom. First time in my life that I can recall. I always thought is so strange that people could visit my home and stay for hours and not use the restroom once! We've experimented with some low carb meals for my son(12) at home and he had been quite satisfied with them. He has been happy with bunless burgers and dogs for a long time and I keep experimenting with lower carb desserts/snacks like baked custards.

Archived