Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

weluvgators

Substitute Teachers

One of our teachers typically ends up hospitalized a couple of times each year. How can we be better prepared for substitute teachers during the year?

Thanks!

My super silly red siren is my guiding light. She has been a tremendous lesson for me in how gluten affects different people in very different ways. She is a super duper silly girl that was simply born that way. I have no idea why I am so blessed to have her guidance.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Create a food allergy information pack for the school? Include your child's issue's and the care that must be taken, but also include dairy, and peanut allergy info and distribute it to all the teachers. Each class could include the names of the kids that have specific issues. (Keeping in mind I have no children, I'm just thinking of what I would like to have if I walked into an unknown situation).

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

I used to be a sub. Each teacher was required to have a 'sub packet' with any info the sub needed from lesson plans to who could sit near who. Your children's teachers have likely got these so have the info added to it.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Create a food allergy information pack for the school? Include your child's issue's and the care that must be taken, but also include dairy, and peanut allergy info and distribute it to all the teachers. Each class could include the names of the kids that have specific issues. (Keeping in mind I have no children, I'm just thinking of what I would like to have if I walked into an unknown situation).

I'm a celiac teacher assistant in a kindergarten classroom. I would meet with the entire grade level team with principal. My school would do this for you. I would have lot's of info about gluten free for them and want to know any products they would have in their classroom that would contain gluten. I would bring up your concern for a sub and how they would handle that. If there is an assistant in the classroom, she would be a go to guy! I am always there when my teacher is not and I know all of my kids and what they are allergic to! In my school we tend to love the same subs and my teacher always try to get them. I would ask about that as well, if they have certain subs they like to get. If everyone on grade level knows how serious this is, they would be able to let the sub know and also keep an eye out. If you get a teacher or teacher assistant that you feel is unsafe for your child..demand a teacher change! I'm not sure how old your child is? I know I open up a few things for my kids at lunch. You might want to teach your child to open up everything. I am a big hand washer, but others may not be. I would also ask about lunchroom, how tables are cleaned etc...

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.

George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10

Endo biopsy positive 5/10

Gluten free 5/10