Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I had gone gluten free despite negative blood work as I really do feel like a different person when off gluten. I had regained my energy and had joined a gym because I felt like a million bucks. This weekend past I had a houseful of company and made numerous easy foods for everyone to have. I myself ate chili thinking it was ok. On Monday I was sooooo sick, I could hardly find the energy to lift my arms. I was very upset wondering what in the world could be wrong, I had been really watching my diet. On Tuesday I was nasty....hated my life, the world and wanted to hide in the dark, I was soooo tired still and thought this thing was just going to sneak up on me whenever it wanted regardless of how well I ate...NOT FAIR! My darling husband said "Didn't you put tomato soup in the chili?" I could have cried I was so happy he had solved the mystery for me (wheat starch in the soup). I did still have control over how I felt, I just was so busy I forgot to think about my diet. I was amazed that such a little mistake could make me so sick, and I am wondering what it is inside that makes me feel as though I have pressure and bruising in my chest, it makes my back and chest hurt like I have been punched. What goes on inside? No one really seems to know why that happens and I am so curious. Also this horrible taste in my mouth? Anyone know what that is?? I am learning so much here.....thank you for having a great place for us to learn from one another. :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

It seems that many people who go gluten free become hypersensitive to any gluten contamination after they have been on the diet for a while. I don't know exactly what goes on to cause certain sympotms, but the disease basically makes the body and the intestine self destruct and the more suseptable or weaker areas are where you feel it most.

My son, if and when he has an accident can stay sick for weeks. His illness always begins with the loose stools, then progresses to a skin rash on his tummy and moodieness and finally ends with flu like symptoms such as cough, leaky nose, sometimes even a low grade fever. He has gotten pnumonia and staph infection in the past, because his immune system wasn't up to par, so it really does find all the little ways it can make you suffer and plays on those weaknesses.

I hope this helps a little. I also wanted to let you know that if your kitchen isn't gluten-free (you said you made a bunch of foods for your guests) it will be easier for you to get cross contamination. It's not impossible, but you need to be diligent about making sure everything is cleaned very well before you make your food.

Hi,

I read your post and I was amazed when you said you get a terrible taste

in your mouth, that's been one of my main symptoms when i think I have eaten

something with gluten, milk, or tomato products. This is usually followed by

right sided pain (right around gall bladder). I've been tested many times for gb

disease but every thing is normal. After this, the pain usually goes into my

middle and lower back. Today has been pretty good, I messed up on the Aunt Jemima lite syrup, I thought it was gluten-free but I found out later that only the reg is gluten-free.

I got the bad taste after that, but pain hasn't been too bad. If you ever find out just what causes the bad taste, please let me know..

I messed up on the Aunt Jemima lite syrup, I thought it was gluten-free but I found out later that only the reg is gluten-free.

Omg. My two younger kids have been having a horrible time over the last week. I've been bugging my 10 year old, semi-accusing him of eating things in school again, because he's been so emotional and moody lately (his one sign of contamination.) Meanwhile, my daughter had a terrible cold, but her tonsils are still swollen. And now I find out I'd done this to them myself. I'm so glad I read this or I'd have continued giving them the stupid syrup until the bottle ran out.

glen4cindy - I make chili all the time... if you just use regular beans (canned small red, kidney, black, pinto, whatever variety you like), I've yet to find a regular canned bean that has gluten. (Of course, you'll have to add your own spices, but besides the aromatics that go in chili (like onion and garlic), chili powder and a touch of cumin are the most important spices by far.

• Celiac.com Sponsor:

• Forum Discussions

I’m at kind of a loss here. My 6 year olds tTg IgA was >250 but his GI says his biopsy was negative. Has any had this happen? We made sure he was eating gluten up until the procedure. The Doctor says a gluten free diet may still be beneficial. ...
    Hi JesLin! How was your trip? did you do well with the gluten free issue? I'm thinking in a trip to Nepal and Tibet also and I'm a little worry about the Tibet part. Could you please give me some advices? Thanks! Lorena ...
    My daughter has Celiac disease and has been using a Nina sensor for the past two and a half years. I am a huge supporter of the sensor and feel like it has made a big difference in my daughter’s quality of life, and has certainly saved her f...