Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am newly diagnosed and have been gluten-free about a month. My regular dr is prescribing levsin for me and also telling me to take fiber con. I am also seeing my gastro dr in a few weeks, so I'll run this by her. Has anyone taken levsin or fiber con?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am newly diagnosed and have been gluten-free about a month. My regular dr is prescribing levsin for me and also telling me to take fiber con. I am also seeing my gastro dr in a few weeks, so I'll run this by her. Has anyone taken levsin or fiber con?

Thanks!

I took Levsin years ago when I was first diagnosed. My doctor said he used it also for his patients who had just had a procedure to ease cramping.

It's an antispasmodic--I took the little pills that dissolved under my tongue. It worked just ok for me, and made me tired.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I haven't taken fiber con but figured you might want to see what the company says about it. Here is their fact sheet.

http://www.fibercon.com/label.asp

And for Levsin

http://www.drugs.com/pdr/levsin.html

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Thanks for the info. I don't know why I should take fibercon. It says that is is for constipation. That is the exact opposite of my problem. I go in next week to see the dr, so I may wait and talk to him about it first.

I haven't taken fiber con but figured you might want to see what the company says about it. Here is their fact sheet.

http://www.fibercon.com/label.asp

And for Levsin

http://www.drugs.com/pdr/levsin.html

Thanks for the info. I don't know why I should take fibercon. It says that is is for constipation. That is the exact opposite of my problem. I go in next week to see the dr, so I may wait and talk to him about it first.

I was afraid of that. Fiber Con specifically states it should not be taken if you have D. I kind of assumed you had C since the doctor told you to take it. I would follow the makers advice. One food that is good for both C and D is sweet potatoes if you like them add them to your diet. It is likely that the bowel issues will resolve fairly quickly once you are gluten free if you are sticking to a whole foods unprocessed diet. Do drop dairy for now and it is often a good idea to avoid soy at first as quite a few of us have issues with soy also.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

My bowel issues are better overall. It's been about 5 weeks since I am gluten free. I am going to hold off until I can talk to the dr in person (next week). Thanks for the advice!

I was afraid of that. Fiber Con specifically states it should not be taken if you have D. I kind of assumed you had C since the doctor told you to take it. I would follow the makers advice. One food that is good for both C and D is sweet potatoes if you like them add them to your diet. It is likely that the bowel issues will resolve fairly quickly once you are gluten free if you are sticking to a whole foods unprocessed diet. Do drop dairy for now and it is often a good idea to avoid soy at first as quite a few of us have issues with soy also.

My bowel issues are better overall. It's been about 5 weeks since I am gluten free. I am going to hold off until I can talk to the dr in person (next week). Thanks for the advice!

It sounds like you are healing well. Good and I hope it continues. Your doctor may have just thought you needed more fiber which is always IMHO best to get from food.

Gene Test Aug 2007