AlysounRI

Gluten Free In Dc?

Rate this topic

Hi All:

I am going to a conference next month to DC. I will be there for an entire week and staying in a hotel room.

This is my first big foray into relying mostly on restaurants for a week or so, so I am a bit nervous.

I very rarely eat out.

I'll be mostly about Dupont Circle and in the government area for lunches.

Can anyone give me some good tips on where are good beats to get a safe meal in DC?

Thanks, your help is most (and always) appreciated,

~Allison

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Legal Seafood has a gluten-free menu and great gluten-free rolls!

There's Pete's Apizza, Austin Grill, Hello Cupcake, Jaleo and Zaytinya. All either have gluten-free options or understanding staff.

In the DuPont Circle area, the places I often go to include

* Chipotle, on Connecticut, near the north exit of the DuPont circle metro station. The food is cheap; I get the burrito bowl (important to avoid the burritos). I believe the hard tacos are supposed to be ok but I have never personally tried it. To be on the safe side I also avoid the sour cream.

* Other places near DuPont Circle include a number of Thai restaurants. The Front Page is a nice restaurant near the south exit of the DuPont circle metro station - you can always get a good steak there.

* If you have more time to dine, both the Austin Grill and Jaleo's near the Gallery Place/Chinatown metro stop have gluten free menus. If you go inside Jaleo's they also will tell you the locations of other nearby restaurants owned by the same chef/owner and these other restaurants are also very celiac friendly.

* There is a cupcake place in DuPont circle where you can pre order gluten free cupcakes. I can't remember the name of the place though..

* Cafe Atlantico (around the block from Jaleo's) also has a very nice menu and is very friendly towards celiacs. It's a little more pricey.

Hi All:

I am going to a conference next month to DC. I will be there for an entire week and staying in a hotel room.

This is my first big foray into relying mostly on restaurants for a week or so, so I am a bit nervous.

I very rarely eat out.

I'll be mostly about Dupont Circle and in the government area for lunches.

Can anyone give me some good tips on where are good beats to get a safe meal in DC?

Thanks, your help is most (and always) appreciated,

~Allison

i would also suggest seeing if the hotel can put a fridge and even a microwave in your room. many times they will- then you can keep some food to eat as back up.

Ads by Google:

i would also suggest seeing if the hotel can put a fridge and even a microwave in your room. many times they will- then you can keep some food to eat as back up.

Birch and Barley (birchandbarley.com) on 14th Street used to have a gluten-free menu, but I don't see it on their menu anymore. You might try giving them a call.

Cafe Atlantico (www.cafeatlantico.com) accommodates gluten-free diners. They have great mojitos and guacamole if you're just looking for something to eat at the bar.

Firefly (www.firefly-dc.com) has a gluten-free menu. They recently hosted the local gluten-free meetup dinner.

Papa Razzi (www.paparazzitrattoria.com) in Georgetown serves gluten-free pasta

Rosa Mexicano (www.rosamexicano.com) is another option.

The Source: I don't believe they have a gluten-free menu, but they were able to accommodate me with no problem. http://www.wolfgangpuck.com/restaurants/fine-dining/3941

Mixt Greens (www.mixtgreens.com) if you're looking for a place to go for lunch

Zengo (www.richardsandoval.com/zengodc/) has a gluten-free menu as well

Let me know if you need more recommendations!

All of these recommendations are great. I'd also add Dino (http://www.dino-dc.com/2008/10/menu.html), which is very gluten-aware and will serve any of their pasta dishes over polenta instead. Its just two metro stops up from Dupont. Also, there's a Whole Foods at 14th and P (Dupont Circle is 19th and P) where you could stock up on snacks or breakfast food. I love their gluten-free cranberry scones there.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Who's Online   22 Members, 1 Anonymous, 491 Guests (See full list)

• Top Posters +

• Recent Articles

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/23/2018 - If you’re looking for a great gluten-free Mexican-style favorite that is sure to be a big hit at dinner or at your next potluck, try these green chili enchiladas with roasted cauliflower. The recipe calls for chicken, but they are just as delicious when made vegetarian using just the roasted cauliflower. Either way, these enchiladas will disappear fast. Roasted cauliflower gives these green chili chicken enchiladas a deep, smokey flavor that diners are sure to love.
    Ingredients:
    2 cans gluten-free green chili enchilada sauce (I use Hatch brand) 1 small head cauliflower, roasted and chopped 6 ounces chicken meat, browned ½ cup cotija cheese, crumbled ½ cup queso fresco, diced 1 medium onion, diced ⅓ cup green onions, minced ¼ cup radishes, sliced 1 tablespoon cooking oil 1 cup chopped cabbage, for serving ½ cup sliced cherry or grape tomatoes, for serving ¼ cup cilantro, chopped 1 dozen fresh corn tortillas  ⅔ cup oil, for softening tortillas 1 large avocado, cut into small chunks Note: For a tasty vegetarian version, just omit the chicken, double the roasted cauliflower, and prepare according to directions.
    Directions:
    Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a cast iron or ovenproof pan until hot.
    Add chicken and brown lightly on both sides. 
    Remove chicken to paper towels to cool.

Cut cauliflower into small pieces and place in the oiled pan.
    Roast in oven at 350F until browned on both sides.
    Remove from the oven when tender. 
    Allow roasted cauliflower to cool.
    Chop cauliflower, or break into small pieces and set aside.
    Chop cooled chicken and set aside.
    Heat 1 inch of cooking oil in a small frying pan.
    When oil is hot, use a spatula to submerge a tortilla in the oil and leave only long enough to soften, about 10 seconds or so. 
    Remove soft tortilla to a paper towel and repeat with remaining tortillas.
    Pour enough enchilada sauce to coat the bottom of a large casserole pan.
    Dunk a tortilla into the sauce and cover both sides. Add more sauce as needed.
    Fill each tortilla with bits of chicken, cauliflower, onion, and queso fresco, and roll into shape.
    When pan is full of rolled enchiladas, top with remaining sauce.
    Cook at 350F until sauce bubbles.
    Remove and top with fresh cotija cheese and scallions.
    Serve with rice, beans, and cabbage, and garnish with avocado, cilantro, and sliced grape tomatoes.

Roxanne Bracknell
    Celiac.com 06/22/2018 - The rise of food allergies means that many people are avoiding gluten in recent times. In fact, the number of Americans who have stopped eating gluten has tripled in eight years between 2009 and 2017.
    Whatever your rationale for avoiding gluten, whether its celiac disease, a sensitivity to the protein, or any other reason, it can be really hard to find suitable places to eat out. When you’re on holiday in a new and unknown environment, this can be near impossible. As awareness of celiac disease grows around the world, however, more and more cities are opening their doors to gluten-free lifestyles, none more so than the 10 locations on the list below.
    Perhaps unsurprisingly, the U.S is a hotbed of gluten-free options, with four cities making the top 10, as well as the Hawaiian island of Maui. Chicago, in particular, is a real haven of gluten-free fare, with 240 coeliac-safe eateries throughout this huge city. The super hip city of Portland also ranks highly on this list, with the capital of counterculture rich in gluten-free cuisine, with San Francisco and Denver also included. Outside of the states, several prominent European capitals also rank very highly on the list, including Prague, the picturesque and historic capital of the Czech Republic, which boasts the best-reviewed restaurants on this list.
    The Irish capital of Dublin, meanwhile, has the most gluten-free establishments, with a huge 330 to choose from, while Amsterdam and Barcelona also feature prominently thanks to their variety of top-notch gluten-free fodder.
    Finally, a special mention must go to Auckland, the sole representative of Australasia in this list, with the largest city in New Zealand rounding out the top 10 thanks to its 180 coeliacsafe eateries.
    The full top ten gluten-free cities are shown in the graphic below:

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/21/2018 - Would you buy a house advertised as ‘gluten-free’? Yes, there really is such a house for sale. 
    It seems a Phoenix realtor Mike D’Elena is hoping that his trendy claim will catch the eye of a buyer hungry to avoid gluten, or, at least one with a sense of humor. D’Elena said he crafted the ads as a way to “be funny and to draw attention.” The idea, D’Elena said, is to “make it memorable.” 
    Though D’Elena’s marketing seeks to capitalizes on the gluten-free trend, he knows Celiac disease is a serious health issue for some people. “[W]e’re not here to offend anybody….this is just something we're just trying to do to draw attention and do what's best for our clients," he said. 
    Still, the signs seem to be working. D'elena had fielded six offers within a few days of listing the west Phoenix home.
    "Buying can sometimes be the most stressful thing you do in your entire life so why not have some fun with it," he said. 
    What do you think? Clever? Funny?
    Read more at Arizonafamily.com.

Advertising Banner-Ads
    Bakery On Main started in the small bakery of a natural foods market on Main Street in Glastonbury, Connecticut. Founder Michael Smulders listened when his customers with Celiac Disease would mention the lack of good tasting, gluten-free options available to them. Upon learning this, he believed that nobody should have to suffer due to any kind of food allergy or dietary need. From then on, his mission became creating delicious and fearlessly unique gluten-free products that were clean and great tasting, while still being safe for his Celiac customers!
    Premium ingredients, bakeshop delicious recipes, and happy customers were our inspiration from the beginning— and are still the cornerstones of Bakery On Main today. We are a fiercely ethical company that believes in integrity and feels that happiness and wholesome, great tasting food should be harmonious. We strive for that in everything we bake in our dedicated gluten-free facility that is GFCO Certified and SQF Level 3 Certified. We use only natural, NON-GMO Project Verified ingredients and all of our products are certified Kosher Parve, dairy and casein free, and we have recently introduced certified Organic items as well! 
    Our passion is to bake the very best products while bringing happiness to our customers, each other, and all those we meet!
    We are available during normal business hours at: 1-888-533-8118 EST.
    To learn more about us at: visit our site.

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 06/20/2018 - Currently, the only way to manage celiac disease is to eliminate gluten from the diet. That could be set to change as clinical trials begin in Australia for a new vaccine that aims to switch off the immune response to gluten. 
    The trials are set to begin at Australia’s University of the Sunshine Coast Clinical Trials Centre. The vaccine is designed to allow people with celiac disease to consume gluten with no adverse effects. A successful vaccine could be the beginning of the end for the gluten-free diet as the only currently viable treatment for celiac disease. That could be a massive breakthrough for people with celiac disease.
    USC’s Clinical Trials Centre Director Lucas Litewka said trial participants would receive an injection of the vaccine twice a week for seven weeks. The trials will be conducted alongside gastroenterologist Dr. James Daveson, who called the vaccine “a very exciting potential new therapy that has been undergoing clinical trials for several years now.”
    Dr. Daveson said the investigational vaccine might potentially restore gluten tolerance to people with celiac disease.The trial is open to adults between the ages of 18 and 70 who have clinically diagnosed celiac disease, and have followed a strict gluten-free diet for at least 12 months. Anyone interested in participating can go to www.joinourtrials.com.
    Read more at the website for Australia’s University of the Sunshine Coast Clinical Trials Centre.

Source:
    FoodProcessing.com.au

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Sisterbelle

• Topics

• While not the best (less specific), AGA antibodies still have some value.  For the most part, most labs are now just running the newer DGP tests in the U.S. Some posters reside in countries that may not have the most current tests.  I assume the DGP was run, but I could be wrong.  Maybe the OP can clarify. Here is a study to back my claim: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5553580/
    • IgA 678 Tissue Transglutaminase IgA 2 units Tissue Transglutaminase IgG 3 units Giliadin IgG 24 units Giliadin IgA 62 Units but Endomysial Ab negative?
    • It looks like you were tested with the old anti-gliadin antibodies, which unfortunately are not good tests for Celiac Disease.  These old tests show that at some point gliadin has gotten into your system and an antibody has formed against it.  It may be a sign that you had "leaky gut".  These kinds of antibodies can come and go and overall are not very helpful in establishing a diagnosis. But there are some other blood tests that still might be useful:  the tissue transglutaminase (tTG-IgA) and the newer gliadin test:  deamidated gliadin peptide antibodies (DGP IgA and DGP IgG).       Some doctors will proceed with a biopsy if you have symptoms and negative celiac blood tests, because even in Celiac Disease blood tests are negative about 10% of the time.  There are some screening checklists here:  http://www.glutenfreeindy.com/screening-checklists.html If you have all the right tests and they are negative, you could still have non-celiac gluten sensitivity or other types of food sensitivity.  At that point you could do an elimination diet to determine what is causing symptoms.
    • Wow!  I wish you the best on your upcoming Ironman.  I have done some sprints and relays, but never an Ironman.  Usually, I do Century Rides.  Like you, I am on a lower carb, high fat gluten-free diet.   Hey, I am looking at two Nunn containers right now in y kitchen.  One, citrus fruit does have corn, dextrose.  The other, Pomergranate Blueberry does not.  It simply has sugar (non-GMO sourced).  
    • Welcome!  At 235, your Immunoglobulin A is normal.  In the case of celiac disease, this test validates the other IgA celiac tests (it is a control test).  The positive gliadin IgA is elevated.  This means you should get referred to a Gastroenterologist for an endoscopy to obtain small intestinal biopsies.  You do not need all the celiac blood tests to be positive.  In fact, I just had only the elevated gliadin IGA and my biopsies revealed some moderate to severe patches of damaged villi.   Keep eating gluten until you see the Gastroenterologist.  In the meantime, keep researching celiac disease and ask questions!  
  • Blog Entries

• Upcoming Events