This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Hamburger Buns?

sayccrn

sayccrn Rookie

Hi all! Does anybody know a decent recipe for hamburger/hotdog/hoagie buns? Or a make of a decent gluten-free one? I just realized that will be a problem, we love our hamburgers! I tried to search for it, but come up with any mention of bun, hamburger or gluten-free.

Thanks so much!

sally

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wolicki Enthusiast

No recipes, but Kinnicknick makes a really tasty bun. My 10 yr old loves them (so do I). The rest I have found are disgusting :blink:

sayccrn Rookie

No recipes, but Kinnicknick makes a really tasty bun. My 10 yr old loves them (so do I). The rest I have found are disgusting :blink:

Thank you wolicki! Can I order them? I don't think our po dunk store has them and I understand the 'disgusting!'

burdee Enthusiast

Hi all! Does anybody know a decent recipe for hamburger/hotdog/hoagie buns? Or a make of a decent gluten-free one? I just realized that will be a problem, we love our hamburgers! I tried to search for it, but come up with any mention of bun, hamburger or gluten-free.

Thanks so much!

sally

I LOVE Ener-G Foods' Seattle Brown hamburger buns so much that I slice them in half and use them for English muffins for breakfast. You can order those online through Ener-G, but don't just order hamburger buns. You need to specify Seattle Brown variety, which tastes like a regular whole grain bread, better than any other type of rice based gluten free bread. See Open Original Shared Link

SUE

sayccrn Rookie

I LOVE Ener-G Foods' Seattle Brown hamburger buns so much that I slice them in half and use them for English muffins for breakfast. You can order those online through Ener-G, but don't just order hamburger buns. You need to specify Seattle Brown variety, which tastes like a regular whole grain bread, better than any other type of rice based gluten free bread. See Open Original Shared Link

SUE

Thank you so much burdee! I will try them!

gary'sgirl Explorer

If you want to try a recipe, I just use my bread recipe to make hamburger and hot dog buns. I drop the dough on a cookie sheet in the shape that I want and then dip my fingers in water and finish shaping and smooth out the dough. Then I let dough rise like normal and bake.

I actually like how the buns/roles turn out even better than the bread, because they don't dry out as easily.

This is the recipe that I use if you don't have one already: Open Original Shared Link

I use the white bread recipe.

I have used all whole grain flours for this recipe several times and it still turns out pretty good. If I make it into loaves it some times falls a little, but the buns have turned out every time.

sayccrn Rookie

If you want to try a recipe, I just use my bread recipe to make hamburger and hot dog buns. I drop the dough on a cookie sheet in the shape that I want and then dip my fingers in water and finish shaping and smooth out the dough. Then I let dough rise like normal and bake.

I actually like how the buns/roles turn out even better than the bread, because they don't dry out as easily.

This is the recipe that I use if you don't have one already: Open Original Shared Link

I have used all whole grain flours for this recipe several times and it still turns out pretty good. If I make it into loaves it some times falls a little, but the buns have turned out every time.

Wow! Thanks gary's girl! I love that site, I will have to try it like that too as soon as I get my kitchen aid mixer. (any day now) Do you know if you can use splenda or another sugar sub in place of the sugar, and a different vinegar, I have apple cider vinegar?

Thanks so much! This site is amazing!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JBaby Enthusiast

I just ordered some from gluten free mall, dont recall what brand they are. I'll let you know how they are. So far me, Udi's bread is the best and is a keeper.

sayccrn Rookie

I just ordered some from gluten free mall, dont recall what brand they are. I'll let you know how they are. So far me, Udi's bread is the best and is a keeper.

Thank you JBaby!

Lostfalls Newbie

Me too - this works well....

Wolicki Enthusiast

SUE

Sue,

Don't hate me but YUUUUCKKKK!!!! is all I can say about any of the products from Ener-G. Maybe my taste buds are broken, LOL.

I believe Kinnikinick can be ordered from the site that sounds a lot like Wahoooooo.

Janie

sayccrn Rookie

Sue,

Don't hate me but YUUUUCKKKK!!!! is all I can say about any of the products from Ener-G. Maybe my taste buds are broken, LOL.

I believe Kinnikinick can be ordered from the site that sounds a lot like Wahoooooo.

Janie

Thanks wolicki!

brendab Contributor

I'm making some right now from a recipe book by Bette Hagman called, "The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread". I have now made it 3 times and my family all loves it! Just the right consistancy with bounce and not dried out and tasteless.

sayccrn Rookie

I'm making some right now from a recipe book by Bette Hagman called, "The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread". I have now made it 3 times and my family all loves it! Just the right consistancy with bounce and not dried out and tasteless.

Care to share the recipe? Or is it the one from above on the site? I got my kitchen aid mixer and want to try it tomorrow!

brendab Contributor

Care to share the recipe? Or is it the one from above on the site? I got my kitchen aid mixer and want to try it tomorrow!

Sure! This will make 6 buns.

1 1/2 cups Featherlight rice flour mix (mix is this: 3 c. rice flour, 3 c. tapioca starch, 3 c. cornstarch or potato starch, 3 tbsp potato flour)

1 tsp xanthan gum

1 tsp egg replacer (optional)

1 tsp unflavored gelatin

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

1 1/2 tbsp sugar, divided

1 c warm water

2 1/4 tsp dry yeast granules

1 tsp dough enhancer or vinegar

1 egg

2 tbsp veggie oil

Now, I also add in 2 tbsp Vance's DariFree milk powder and 2 tbsp milled flax seed.

Place 6 muffin rings on a cookie sheet and grease with veggie oil spray. I make these using aluminum foil folded over a couple of times and try to attach the ends for the mold.

In medium bowl, whisk together the flour mix, xanthan gum, egg replacer (if using), gelatin, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Add 1 tsp of the sugar to the warm water and sprinkle on the yeast. Set aside to foam slightly.

In a large mixing bowl (I use my Kitchen Aid mixer for the rest)blend together at low speed, the remaining sugar, dough enhancer, egg and oil. Add the yeast mixture. Beat in 1/2 of the dry ingredients, then add the rest.

Spoon the batter into prepared rings, cover lightly and let rise in a warm place until double in size (20-25 min. for rapid-rising yeast, 40-45 min. for regular yeast). Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20-22 min.

sayccrn Rookie

Sure! This will make 6 buns.

1 1/2 cups Featherlight rice flour mix (mix is this: 3 c. rice flour, 3 c. tapioca starch, 3 c. cornstarch or potato starch, 3 tbsp potato flour)

1 tsp xanthan gum

1 tsp egg replacer (optional)

1 tsp unflavored gelatin

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

1 1/2 tbsp sugar, divided

1 c warm water

2 1/4 tsp dry yeast granules

1 tsp dough enhancer or vinegar

1 egg

2 tbsp veggie oil

Now, I also add in 2 tbsp Vance's DariFree milk powder and 2 tbsp milled flax seed.

Place 6 muffin rings on a cookie sheet and grease with veggie oil spray. I make these using aluminum foil folded over a couple of times and try to attach the ends for the mold.

In medium bowl, whisk together the flour mix, xanthan gum, egg replacer (if using), gelatin, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Add 1 tsp of the sugar to the warm water and sprinkle on the yeast. Set aside to foam slightly.

In a large mixing bowl (I use my Kitchen Aid mixer for the rest)blend together at low speed, the remaining sugar, dough enhancer, egg and oil. Add the yeast mixture. Beat in 1/2 of the dry ingredients, then add the rest.

Spoon the batter into prepared rings, cover lightly and let rise in a warm place until double in size (20-25 min. for rapid-rising yeast, 40-45 min. for regular yeast). Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20-22 min.

Thanks so much!

Frances03 Enthusiast

What kind of gluten free flour mix do you use when you make this?

Ginsou Explorer

I also love Kinnicknick, and have found the best way to have a great (bison) burger is to grill the bun on a cast iron pan. I find that the buns are too hefty for my small mouth, so I cut out the middle portion of the bun, dry it out, and grind it up in my coffee grinder for bread crumbs. All my baking bread/bun failures are ground into crumbs, which I use for fried fish, scallops and onion rings.

Until I find a recipe for a decent bun, Kinnicknick will do very nicely.

sayccrn Rookie

I also love Kinnicknick, and have found the best way to have a great (bison) burger is to grill the bun on a cast iron pan. I find that the buns are too hefty for my small mouth, so I cut out the middle portion of the bun, dry it out, and grind it up in my coffee grinder for bread crumbs. All my baking bread/bun failures are ground into crumbs, which I use for fried fish, scallops and onion rings.

Until I find a recipe for a decent bun, Kinnicknick will do very nicely.

Thank you, Ginsou!

gary'sgirl Explorer

What kind of gluten free flour mix do you use when you make this?

I have used Bob's Red Mill All purpose flour mix as well as mixing up the flour suggestion in the recipe (which I think is adapted from the Gluten Free Gourmet). I usually sub 1-2 cups of brown rice flour and maybe a little sorghum flour with the rest being the alpurpose blend. My mom has used all quinoa and brown rice and had it turn out great.

A friend of mine even uses a hand mixer and it works out just as good - just takes a little more work.

gary'sgirl Explorer

Wow! Thanks gary's girl! I love that site, I will have to try it like that too as soon as I get my kitchen aid mixer. (any day now) Do you know if you can use splenda or another sugar sub in place of the sugar, and a different vinegar, I have apple cider vinegar?

Thanks so much! This site is amazing!

I have made a very similar recipe that used honey and it turned out good too. I haven't yet tried to sub it in this particular recipe, but I think it might work just fine.

I'm not sure about the splenda. I know that things turn out a little different when cooking with it, but I have never used it myself.

By the way - enjoy your mixer! They are awesome!!!

sayccrn Rookie

I have made a very similar recipe that used honey and it turned out good too. I haven't yet tried to sub it in this particular recipe, but I think it might work just fine.

I'm not sure about the splenda. I know that thinks turn out a little different when cooking with it, but I have never used it myself.

By the way - enjoy your mixer! They are awesome!!!

Thanks gary's girl!

tmbarke Apprentice

I haven't tried any buns or bread I liked that were gluten free in the stores.....but!

I read some reviews advertised on the side of this site somewhere......and thought I'd check out the site and I actually placed an order.

They got here yesterday and I had 2 ham sandwiches on the Chullah rolls! WOW! To Die For! (not the same death as with crappy gluten-free breads....) But I learned to LOVE and ENJOY a sandwich again!

www.katzglutenfree.com

I bought the small Chullah dinner rolls.....next time I will get the Large Chullah Rolls.

This bread is soft - holds together - has a rich taste.....just like those yellow kaiser rolls at a deli.

Their products are gluten-free - DF - and Nut Free.

I WILL have a slider burger this week! So looking forward to it!

sayccrn Rookie

I haven't tried any buns or bread I liked that were gluten free in the stores.....but!

I read some reviews advertised on the side of this site somewhere......and thought I'd check out the site and I actually placed an order.

They got here yesterday and I had 2 ham sandwiches on the Chullah rolls! WOW! To Die For! (not the same death as with crappy gluten-free breads....) But I learned to LOVE and ENJOY a sandwich again!

www.katzglutenfree.com

I bought the small Chullah dinner rolls.....next time I will get the Large Chullah Rolls.

This bread is soft - holds together - has a rich taste.....just like those yellow kaiser rolls at a deli.

Their products are gluten-free - DF - and Nut Free.

I WILL have a slider burger this week! So looking forward to it!

Thanks tmbarke! Will have to check them out too. Almost got the knicknick rolls yesterday, but at 7$ for 4 of them I just couldn't bring my stingy self to but them without knowing I liked them. God forbid, I throw out 7$!

I will check out that website, thanks so much!

halfrunner Apprentice

I've made gluten-free hamburger buns using all of my previously posted (in other threads) bread recipes. I cheat and use a "muffin tops" pan, which gives me perfectly formed round buns every time. (Use some water on your fingers to shape them after dropping the dough onto the pan.)

For what it's worth, the King Arthur flour catalog offers hot dog bun pans at various times through out the year. I keep meaning to buy one, but never think about it when I have extra money.

Laura

Archived