Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grace'smom

Question On Soy Sauce Vs. Soy Beans

At an intro to "celiac disease: 101' class that my husband I took at Children's Hospital in Boston a couple of mos. ago, one of the nutritionists explained that celiacs have to avoid soy sauce as it contains gluten.

I'm often unnerved when reading ingredients and find soybeans or soybean oil or some other term that incorporates soy into it. I understand that the kind of soy that's in, say, soy milk, is ok. So what is it in Soy sauce that is not ok, and where is the difference? I'm not sure about the soy issue and its probably a really dumb question, but its driving me crazy that I keep meaning to ask someone about this, and we're not due back to the hospital for a while..can anyone explain the ok soy vs. the not ok? Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Soy sauce is made with wheat.

Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.

2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.

Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.

So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!

My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

Do a search 'how is soy sauce made'. I found a site wisegeek that explained it well.

Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.

2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.

Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.

So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!

My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

Most regular soy sauce has wheat in it. There are wheat-free brands though (I can't tell you which brands because I have to avoid all form of soy in addition to gluten). If your daughter doesn't need to be soy free then you can just get wheat-free soy sauce or wheat free tamari. In the U.S., the label has to specify if the soy sauce has wheat. So that should be easy for you to check. The trickier thing is eating out and ordering something that has soy sauce because you don't know unless you ask them to check the label (or unless they have a gluten-free menu) if it has wheat in it.

A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

Jade Dragon soy sauce is gluten free. My bottle says: hydrolyzed soybean and corn protein, water, corn syrup, salt, carmel color. I also found this brand listed in my gluten-free grocery shopping guide (Cecelia's markeplace). Also San-jay makes a organic tamari wheat free soy sauce.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

Yeah, it's the wheat rather than the soy that's the issue. :-) But, interestingly enough, you're getting the more traditional soy sauce when you go gluten free - it's called tamari - because when it was first invented, it was only made with soy beans. Using wheat, which makes the flavor a bit more mellow, is a more modern process. However, if you traditionally use soy sauce in your recipes, you may find that you need a bit less gluten free soy sauce than you would the wheat soy sauce, because of the stronger taste.

The soy beans themselves, no problem. :-)

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

For those who cannot have either gluten or soy, there's coconut aminos.

Thanks for the reminder. I had checked before about a month ago and they didn't have it in my area. Now two stores carry it and I can order it online. Yay! :)

A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

Just a comment.

I got my Celiac 101 from Children's hospital as well and we were told that only certain Soy Sauce were gluten-free, we were not told to avoid all of them. The fact that the same hospital told you something different bothers me. I would think Children's hospital of all places should be extremely clear about their nutrition talks.

Thank goodness for this forum!

For Canadians, VH soy sauce is gluten-free, and widely available. Most VH sauces are gluten-free, however they are only sold in Canada, AFAIK.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Just a comment.

I got my Celiac 101 from Children's hospital as well and we were told that only certain Soy Sauce were gluten-free, we were not told to avoid all of them. The fact that the same hospital told you something different bothers me. I would think Children's hospital of all places should be extremely clear about their nutrition talks.

Thank goodness for this forum!

Hi Mizzo,

It could have been my misunderstanding; it was a week post-diagnosis when I took the class and my head was spinning from all of the info. She may have said to read Soy sauce labels carefully and I heard otherwise. I do think the class was extremely helpful. Didn't realize you are in the Boston area too.