Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

meatslayer

Natural Flavours Vs. Natural Flavourings

Anyone know if there is a definite difference?

I try to stay away from both as you don't really know whats in Natural Flavours, Natural Flavourings totally glutenates me. Specifically Costco (Kirkland) Diet Ice Tea- it has Natural Flavorings listed and it hits me hard.

Natural Flavours is in so many things, mostly processed foods, candy and snacks. I try and stay away but never have had any bad (noticeable) results, I cave in on some candy once and a while. I always now avoid Natural Flavourings.

Are they the same or different? Anyone else get hit by Natural Flavorings?

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Anyone know if there is a definite difference?

I try to stay away from both as you don't really know whats in Natural Flavours, Natural Flavourings totally glutenates me. Specifically Costco (Kirkland) Diet Ice Tea- it has Natural Flavorings listed and it hits me hard.

Natural Flavours is in so many things, mostly processed foods, candy and snacks. I try and stay away but never have had any bad (noticeable) results, I cave in on some candy once and a while. I always now avoid Natural Flavourings.

Are they the same or different? Anyone else get hit by Natural Flavorings?

Thanks.

To me, it would seem the only difference between the two is the verbiage used on the label...I think it depends more on the product itself. "Natural flavors" can sometimes include hidden gluten, but sometimes it doesn't. I'm sure that it would be the same with "natural flavoring". Those are instances when you have to research the company or just rely on common sense.

Please remember, that if wheat is listed in "natural flavorings/flavor", it by law, must be listed if derived from a wheat source.

I would suggest you call the 1-800 number on the container or e-mail the company and verify it's gluten or gluten free status.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien