This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help!

rhondaslusher1

rhondaslusher1 Rookie

I have always had baby fine hair but even though I have gone gluten free my hair is falling out alot. The thing is, I am not sure if my vitamins contain gluten. There are words like dextrose,dextrin and maltodextrin on the ingredients. Are these gluten? Can you buy gluten free vitamins and shampoo at the grocery store? How long can problems like this last after going gluten-free?

Rhonda

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Maltodextrin in foods is ok in the US unless stated otherwise on the label BUT in medications and products like that maltodextrin must be checked because it can contain gluten.

Before you try any products you should verify if they are gluten free.

I use Dove products like soap, shampoo, lotion,conditioners, and hairspray. Dove will clearly state wheat,rye,barley,oats on the label and they will not hide it.

Alot of vitamins you get at health food stores will say on the label what they are free of. My vitamins say they are free of gluten and other stuff right on it. Unless you want to call manufacturers then that would be the way to go.

How long have you been gluten free?

*To all the other moderators...I didn't know where to pin this because there were a couple places I thought this would fit. Feel free to move it if you think it would be best somewhere else*

cdford Contributor

It took a while, but my hair loss got better after going gluten-free. Be sure to contact mfrs on all meds and personal care products.

Guest nini

I found a really cheat gluten-free vitamin and supplement line at of all places Dollar Tree...

My hair loss has just now started to let up after 2 years gluten-free. That was one of the symptoms that made my husband push for me to get a dx... He got nervous with how much hair was falling out!!!! (guess he didn't want a bald wife!)

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I also experienced more than usual hair loss. I used to have small chunks of hair fall out. I have very thick hair so it wasn't noticable. The hair loss went away after I started the diet.

"Zinc, iron, B vitamins, essential fatty acids, amino acids and other nutrients are responsible for hair growth. If these deficiencies occur, for whatever reason, hair loss is likely."

Open Original Shared Link

If you are worried about the hair loss maybe discuss taking some of these supplements with your doctor and nutritionist.

I use Jamieson vitamins, they will say "no gluten" or "gluten free" right on the label.

egardner Newbie

Keep in mind that hair falling out is a common sign of an Iron deficiency, or anemia. It is also common of thyroid problems. Make sure you know about your levels for both of these, it could be totally unrealted to being gluten free and instead a symptom of a related disease. I had a lot of hair loss in my teens that turned out to be a serious iron deficiency. Stay healthy, hope that helps! ;) PS- you dont always need a vitamin, sometimes just a small dietary change!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yes, that is a sign of hyperthyroid. It may be associated with hypothyroid as well.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

2old4 Rookie

Wow, I had no idea hair loss was a symptom of celiac disease too. I have had bouts of this for many years. I was just diagnosed last month but the more I read here, I realize that I have had alot of various symptoms since I was a teenager, I'm 34 now. I wonder if I should have some tests run for my bones, etc? -Patty

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I wonder if I should have some tests run for my bones, etc?

Yes! I think that would be a good idea :)

Archived