Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

K8ling

Stress

My husband just deployed and our son isn't handling it well...and lately it seems like everything I eat is making me feel sick. Is it possible that I could just be aggravating my food intolerances with stress? I know I have a nervous stomach, but I also was wondering if it was possible that it will make me more sensitive. Just a theory :).

Scientifically, I don't know if stress can make symptoms worse. But I do know that stress can be a trigger for celiac disease.

Generally, stress can turn your systems inside out, but not sure it has anything to do with Celiac.

Exercise or power walks might help. :)

I don't know. I know that stress makes other auto-immune diseases like lupus worse. So it wouldn't surprise me at all that stress could affect us somehow. I hope you can do something relaxing soon and not be so stressed. Take some time to pamper yourself while your toddler is in school. Get a massage or a pedicure or something or just fill up your bath tub with some hot water and bath salts and soak. I like to read, but sometimes I watch sappy movies and cry even if I'm alone. It takes my mind off of the real world for a few hours anyway. I'm not an extrovert (people stress me out :lol: ) but some people are stressed by being alone too much. If you are a people person then get a sitter and go out with your friends. There are plenty of activities that don't involve food--go to the movies (I read most theater popcorn is safe) or go shopping. Take advantage of local parks or attractions. Go to the beach if you live near one or the mountains or some woods and just sit and watch the water/the wildlife/people. Go to one of those paint your own pottery places or take an art class or a sewing class. Garden. Redecorate your home. Attend a Bible study or a book club or go listen to poetry being read. Whatever will keep you occupied, make you happy and relaxed and help you forget your stress for a little bit take the time to do that. And if all those suggestions stress you out, well it's okay to just take a day or two to DO NOTHING too. ;)

My husband just deployed and our son isn't handling it well...and lately it seems like everything I eat is making me feel sick. Is it possible that I could just be aggravating my food intolerances with stress? I know I have a nervous stomach, but I also was wondering if it was possible that it will make me more sensitive. Just a theory :).

Under the circumstances, I think it's entirely possible that stress could be making matters worse--especially if you're not eating or using anything different.

Sending good thoughts your way :)

I don't know. I know that stress makes other auto-immune diseases like lupus worse. So it wouldn't surprise me at all that stress could affect us somehow. I hope you can do something relaxing soon and not be so stressed. Take some time to pamper yourself while your toddler is in school. Get a massage or a pedicure or something or just fill up your bath tub with some hot water and bath salts and soak. I like to read, but sometimes I watch sappy movies and cry even if I'm alone. It takes my mind off of the real world for a few hours anyway. I'm not an extrovert (people stress me out :lol: ) but some people are stressed by being alone too much. If you are a people person then get a sitter and go out with your friends. There are plenty of activities that don't involve food--go to the movies (I read most theater popcorn is safe) or go shopping. Take advantage of local parks or attractions. Go to the beach if you live near one or the mountains or some woods and just sit and watch the water/the wildlife/people. Go to one of those paint your own pottery places or take an art class or a sewing class. Garden. Redecorate your home. Attend a Bible study or a book club or go listen to poetry being read. Whatever will keep you occupied, make you happy and relaxed and help you forget your stress for a little bit take the time to do that. And if all those suggestions stress you out, well it's okay to just take a day or two to DO NOTHING too. ;)

Stress definitely has an effect on your system! I have been a Type 1 diabetic for 26 years. And, though I take my insulin, eat right, exercise, etc., my sugar levels can go pretty high when I'm stressed about something. I think I have everything under control emotionally and physically, but sometimes I just have to give in to the fact that I can't be in control all the time.

Some people like high-impact exercise, some like more slow exercse like yoga (that's me, but some people find it boreing). Do what helps you the most. And, what the other post said too...just put on a sad movie and let those tears out, cry like a baby...just getting it out can be such a relief. I was always afraid to let it out because I thought it'd never stop and I'd be crying for days...but it stopped, then started again, stopped, and then started again. It was only a day, but I felt so much better!

Good luck to you! I know you miss your man and I wish you and him the best!

Thanks for all the input! I really thought I was going nuts lol. The only thing that changed is I have to feed the animals (I wear gloves and wash my hands right after). Hopefully it straightens out soon...my poor baby has some sort of fever going on right now (let's add MORE stress! It's only the first 48 hours since his dad left and my kid is SICK ALREADY! Argggh) so I am breaking out the chicken broth, gatorade, and gluten-free crackers.

I'll keep an eye on the food and keep trying to eat I guess...I had some chicken and potatos for dinner tonight and it seemed all right, Also, some ginger snaps calmed me down. Or that could be the fact that my son is back in his bed LOL.

Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted XD Thanks for the love!

Hey k8tling - just wanted to send you well wishes. I don't know who has it harder, soldiers or their families waiting at home.

Stress can worsen anything having to do with the immune system. Take care of yourself.

I know for me personally, when stress is in the equation, I seem to react to absolutely everything (not the painful cramping like a reaction, but feeling green aaaaaaallll the time). I think it definately factors in! Someone once told me your stomach is like your second brain: if you are a person that freaks a little when stressed, your stomach is likely to react like your brain. Sooo the case for me. I feel for you! It isn't much fun.

I know it is hard being alone with a little one, but if possible, take a brisk walk (I am more of a runner myself) or get some other "moving" activity. I like putting the kids in the bike cart and riding to a playground a few miles away, letting them play while I swing (-; and then riding back. Everyone wins!

I will be praying for you that things settle down, including your stomach (-:

Best wishes!