Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sammyandkaylasmom

Can Gluten Allergy Cause Duodenitis

I posted about a month ago about my 9 year old son's frequent vomiting. My son had blood allergy test and it showed a low-level gluten allergy with high antibodies to gluten (IgG). The pediatrician said to go gluten free, but the allergist said we didn't need to because his skin test did not show an allergy to wheat. According to the allergist blood allergy test are hypersensitive and yield false positive results. I am confused as to what to do. I have read that skin testing is not always accurate for food allergies and blood tests are better. Yesterday he had an upper GI and it showed duodenitis. The pediatrician said this is probably the cause of the vomiting and prescribed Prevacid. Now I am trying to determine why a 9 year old child would have inflammation of the upper small intestine. DOes anyone know if gluten allergy/sensitivity causes duodenitis? What about celiac disease?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The tests for celiac disease are different from the tests for a wheat allergy. I don't know anything about duodenitis, but with the symptoms you're describing, you may want to go ahead and request the celiac testing, especially with the elevated antibodies. It's good to have the tests done before you go gluten-free so that you get accurate results. Good luck to you and your son!

Dee