This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Jobs And Employment?

Coolclimates

Coolclimates Collaborator

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to be posting this in, but I was wondering if I could find employment and job opportunities in the gluten free world. For instance, working in a gluten free bakery, or working for a gluten free food company. I've googled "gluten free jobs" and "gluten free employment" but have got few helpful links and results. I'm willing to relocate to other places in the United States.

Any tips?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I would be surprised if there's a website only for gluten free company job positions. I would start by going to each company website individually to see if they have any job openings. The bigger ones probably don't advertise it as a "gluten free job" they probably just use the usual job opening ads and other methods for announcing openings. Some only announce it via their websites. The smaller ones may only hire people via word of mouth, but you may break your way into them if you have some idea of what you can do for them and send a good cover letter with resume. My DH found his job by going to every single company we could think of that could have positions in his field and searching their website for job openings as well as sending out resumes to companies he was interested in but didn't have any job openings posted (some companies do not advertise or they may not have openings but will keep your resume on file if it is impressive). It's a full time job to find a job. Good Luck.

kareng Grand Master

Udis is based in Colorado. Bob's Red Mill is located on Oregon. The website says they need a bakers assistant.

sb2178 Enthusiast

At one point this summer, I think there was a celiac association that needed an assistant of some sort. that was on idealist, probably.

lizard00 Enthusiast

I'm not sure how much you are interested in doing as a business yourself, but...

I just (like today!) got my kitchen approved to do baking in my house, so I'm going to start my own 'bakery'.

I also have in the works a consulting sort of business. Helping people who are newly diagnosed navigate this huge lifestyle change. I have met with a doctor and we collaborated on what types of things would be helpful, and I'm hoping to get it started shortly. One thing at a time, though... (Both of these things don't require huge amounts of money to get started, either. ;) )

Sometimes you gotta think a little differently if there's something you want to do, but is not readily available.

Hope that helps! :)

mommida Enthusiast

Kinniknick (spelling?) is a gluten free company. Employees are asked not to bring any gluten foods to the facility for lunch.

Start checking all the gluten free products you enjoy for locations. There has been such a growth in this market. I'm waiting for all the merging, which I have noticed over the years. As soon as I can I will be buying stock in gluten free food.

thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I will continue to look.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

WheatChef Apprentice

Bob's website says they're looking and to check craigslist for the posting, but I check that site frequently in this area (I'm in Portland) and haven't seen their ad lately. Bob's does do gluteny as well as gluten-free stuff and as far as I know that location is mixed (even though I think they keep the work areas seperate). On the bright side, if you do contact them, Portland seems like ground zero for Gluten-Free eating! There's multiple chains up here that have a wide selection of gluten free items, multiple gluten-free dedicated bakeries and humongous offerings of gluten-free products at the local supermarkets. Hell, last time I was at the science museum here they were advertising that they had picked up a new line of gluten-free snack bars. <3 Portland.

• 1 month later...

I'll actually be living in Portland the month of February 2011. I'm hoping that I can find some work out there with the gluten free bakeries/companies, etc. However, I am only there for one month as I'm living in Illinois and that is all the time I can take out of my job here to be there. I really want to move out there. My job kinda sucks here and I really don't like Illinois. My brother lived in Portland for several months and loved it but couldn't find any work. I will have to be really productive with my time while I'm out there.

cyberprof Enthusiast

I'll actually be living in Portland the month of February 2011. I'm hoping that I can find some work out there with the gluten free bakeries/companies, etc. However, I am only there for one month as I'm living in Illinois and that is all the time I can take out of my job here to be there. I really want to move out there. My job kinda sucks here and I really don't like Illinois. My brother lived in Portland for several months and loved it but couldn't find any work. I will have to be really productive with my time while I'm out there.

Hi Coolclimates, Portland is good. Seattle has a lot too, and if you're in Portland for a month you should take a trip to Seattle. Amtrack runs daily and is a nice trip, so you can come even if you don't have a car.

Seattle has Ener-G foods (used to be a customer of mine), just south of downtown Seattle close to the train terminal. Open Original Shared Link

The Flying Apron Bakery is just north of downtown and easily reachable by bus. Open Original Shared Link

There's also Sunny Valley Bakery Open Original Shared Link They operate a gluten-free bakery in Kent.

WOW Baking is also in Kent. Open Original Shared Link

Wheatless in Seattle (formerly DaVinci's) is a gluten-free Restaurant Open Original Shared Link

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'd suggest looking at the sites and calling first. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I actually was in Seattle last summer. I didn't go to any of those places, but did go to Cinnamon bakery at Pike Place Market several times. They have great gluten free cookies. The problem is, many of their products are not gluten free so there are cross contamination issues. I don't seem to have any reaction that I know of if I get glutened, so I'm not as sensitive as some other Celiacs in that sense. They do warn in the bakery that if you have serious CC issues not to eat anything in their bakery. I hope to get to Seattle again when I'm living in Portland next Feb. I would like to visit some of the gluten free bakeries and restaurants while living in Portland.

I also went to Chicago recently and will be living there for 2 weeks over the winter vacation. I recently went to the University of Chicago's Celiac center but also went to Rose's Wheat Free bakery in Evanston. I've applied to work there, but they are having trouble keeping their heads above water right now...not enough customers or something. So it doesn't sound really promising. But I live in Illinois so it would be easier to get a job instate instead of Portland. I don't much care for Illinois but I have a preexisting condition and the current health care situation will only stop discriminating against people with a preexisting condition starting in 2014. And that is if Obama's health care plan is not toppled by the Republicans.

Archived