This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bloating!

CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip Community Regular

I'm bloating everyday still. I'm going into my fourth month gluten-free? I'm nightshade free, peanut free, and dairy free. What else could be causing the bloat? Just that my intestines are so messed up? I had less bloating before going gluten-free. I also am sugarfree as much as possible. No artifical sugars either. Lately I'm eating only chicken, squash,sweet potato, applesauce/w no sugar 100% natural and gluten free corn chips. I have the bloating even when I don't do corn. I cut that out to see if it helped, I didn't think so, but going to try again. I have stayed away from most gluten-free bread/pasta products as well. Any suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

burdee Enthusiast

I'm bloating everyday still. I'm going into my fourth month gluten-free? I'm nightshade free, peanut free, and dairy free. What else could be causing the bloat? Just that my intestines are so messed up? I had less bloating before going gluten-free. I also am sugarfree as much as possible. No artifical sugars either. Lately I'm eating only chicken, squash,sweet potato, applesauce/w no sugar 100% natural and gluten free corn chips. I have the bloating even when I don't do corn. I cut that out to see if it helped, I didn't think so, but going to try again. I have stayed away from most gluten-free bread/pasta products as well. Any suggestions?

Bloating usually means you aren't digesting food properly. Food allergies or intolerances, low stomach acid, depleted good intestinal bacteria, parasitic, pathogenic bacterial and/or fungal infections can all impair your gastrointestinal system's ability to digest food. Even if you don't have a true allergy, you can react to artificial sweeteners (esp. sorbitol or alcohol derived sweetners) with bloating. Other common intolerances include lactose and fructose. If you have tested for delayed reaction food allergies (IgG and/or IgA antibody mediated reactions) as well as immediate reaction (IgE mediated) food allergies, then you may want to get tested for hypochloridia (low stomach acid) and/or intestinal infections from bacteria, parasites or fungus (like candida).

After I eliminated all my diagnosed food allergies, I continued to have bloating until I replenished my good intestinal bacteria with high dose probiotics and used supplemental HCl capsules to treat hypochloridia (diagnosed by Heidelberg capsule test). Rather than just guess what causes your bloating, find a doctor or naturopath who will give you blood tests for delayed reaction food allergies as well as IgE anaphylactic reaction allergies, stool tests for pathogenic gut bugs and a Heidelberg capsule test for stomach acid production. Tests for acid in the esophasus do not measure how much acid your stomach actually produces.

Bloating usually means you aren't digesting food properly. Food allergies or intolerances, low stomach acid, depleted good intestinal bacteria, parasitic, pathogenic bacterial and/or fungal infections can all impair your gastrointestinal system's ability to digest food. Even if you don't have a true allergy, you can react to artificial sweeteners (esp. sorbitol or alcohol derived sweetners) with bloating. Other common intolerances include lactose and fructose. If you have tested for delayed reaction food allergies (IgG and/or IgA antibody mediated reactions) as well as immediate reaction (IgE mediated) food allergies, then you may want to get tested for hypochloridia (low stomach acid) and/or intestinal infections from bacteria, parasites or fungus (like candida).

After I eliminated all my diagnosed food allergies, I continued to have bloating until I replenished my good intestinal bacteria with high dose probiotics and used supplemental HCl capsules to treat hypochloridia (diagnosed by Heidelberg capsule test). Rather than just guess what causes your bloating, find a doctor or naturopath who will give you blood tests for delayed reaction food allergies as well as IgE anaphylactic reaction allergies, stool tests for pathogenic gut bugs and a Heidelberg capsule test for stomach acid production. Tests for acid in the esophasus do not measure how much acid your stomach actually produces.

Thank you so much! This gives me alot to go by. What probiotic do you use? I am thinking of going to a naturopath that someone told me about me. I go to my good gastro in Oct. he was booked for 6 weeks. However, I'm not sure if he can help me. I think I will try your suggestions.

burdee Enthusiast

Thank you so much! This gives me alot to go by. What probiotic do you use? I am thinking of going to a naturopath that someone told me about me. I go to my good gastro in Oct. he was booked for 6 weeks. However, I'm not sure if he can help me. I think I will try your suggestions.

I use Custom Probiotics, the adult CP-1 formula which provides 50 billion live (good bacteria) cells per capsule, but does not contain FOS (fructooligosaccharides), which can cause even more bloating. I order those online from their website. The price is very reasonable. Some probiotic companies include FOS in their products to 'feed' the good bacteria. However, if you eat a high fiber diet (esp. asparagus, leeks, onions, and artichokes), your regular diet will 'feed' the probiotics.

cassP Contributor

Burdee posted great advice!

for me personally- MSG, & too much Fructose can almost bloat me up more than GLUTEN! it took me a while to figure it out- but my daily pears were putting me into such agonizing pain & bloating- i was DESPERATE to figure it out. since ive eliminated most fructose- i am a completely different person!!!

hope you pinpoint your demons soon :)

bluebonnet Explorer

have you tried taking a probiotic? that can help reinforce the good bacteria. good luck! :)

Simona19 Collaborator

Hi!

I just what to post the list of the things that will give gas to anybody, not just people with celiac disease. I got it from my gastroenterologist, but I knew about many of them for long time (apple, potatoes, beans, brocoli, peaches, pears).

The list: milk and milk products

apples

* beans

* brussel sprouts

* brocoli

bread

* cabbage

* cauliflower

pasta

peaches

prunes

corn

oats

potatoes

processed bran

pears

* carbonated beverage

* meringue

* souffle

Everyting with * - important thing to avoid. Without * - in moderation.

If you eating only few thing, and one of them is the apple sauce, could be the apples your source of gas?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

Fructose could be causing the bloat and gas. You are eating enough fructose in the applesauce, sweet potatoes, and squash to give yourself trouble if fructose malabsorption is your issue. Try shifting to a low FODMAP diet. Eat lots of lettuces and cooked greens, and you can add things like eggs and whatever seeds and nuts you can tolerate to fill up.

Open Original Shared Link

I started a proibotic this morning and started to bloat a hour later. I have very little gas, just a terrible bloated stomach and some heartburn. I'm giving up corn now to see if that helps. Thanks for the help.

Skylark Collaborator

I started a proibotic this morning and started to bloat a hour later. I have very little gas, just a terrible bloated stomach and some heartburn. I'm giving up corn now to see if that helps. Thanks for the help.

People with fructose malabsorption generally do not tolerate probiotics because most have fructo-oligosaccharides to feed the bacteria. Are you SURE it's corn you want to give up and not fructose? :huh:

People with fructose malabsorption generally do not tolerate probiotics because most have fructo-oligosaccharides to feed the bacteria. Are you SURE it's corn you want to give up and not fructose? :huh:

I'm ready to give it all up :) I looked at your link trying to pick some foods to eat and try the diet out. I need to read more about it, but you're right. Do you take anything like a probiotic or enzyme? It seems everytime I try them, I feel worse.

Fructose could be causing the bloat and gas. You are eating enough fructose in the applesauce, sweet potatoes, and squash to give yourself trouble if fructose malabsorption is your issue. Try shifting to a low FODMAP diet. Eat lots of lettuces and cooked greens, and you can add things like eggs and whatever seeds and nuts you can tolerate to fill up.

Yup, this is me, thanks for your help. It states no iceburg lettuce. Do you eat all others well? Salad dressing or make your own? I saw that everything that bothers me is in the no no list. Who knew food could get so complicated?

cassP Contributor

Yup, this is me, thanks for your help. It states no iceburg lettuce. Do you eat all others well? Salad dressing or make your own? I saw that everything that bothers me is in the no no list. Who knew food could get so complicated?

hey Carolina- whenever you read stuff on Fructose malabsorption- they also say that each individual kind of has find out by trial or error how much fructose or what type of food containing fructose they can eat. it is so true! my friend who has FM cannot eat lettuce at all. i only experience problems with lettuce SOMETIMES. i have much better experiences with baby greens or mixed herb salads. and i just learned from what the link skylark posted: that combining the fructose foods with other foods can help the absorption- this must explain why sometimes i am fine with fructose.

as far as salad dressings- that may take trial and error too- i feel just fine with olive oil & balsamic vinegar. i made a HUGE mistake once in trying a Gluten Free Miso Sesame dressing with Agave Nectar- i was MISERABLE

it can also matter the amount of fructose you eat. for example- i can eat ONE prune, or 1/2 an apple.... but 2-3 prunes OR 1 pear can have me bedridden on a heating pad for the rest of the night :(

sorry for ramble, hope it made sense

It did make sense and ramble on! It helps me alot. I'm going to try a salad tomorrow with some chicken and see how it goes. I really need to find something for lunch that won't give me so much pain and bloat. I look after two classes and my kindergarteners take some time to get settle because it's so new to them. I have about 15 minutes to eat and need something to heat fast or I prefer cold. I made some white rice muffins last week that seemed to be fine. My first attempt at baking.

Skylark Collaborator

My mom is the one with fructose malabsorption and she's gluten-free as well. I've seen her eat salad a lot, but she's never been one for iceburg lettuce. She eats the baby greens or romaine. She has to watch what other veggies she puts on it. She eats a lot of chef salads with hard cheese (low lactose), sliced gluten-free lunch meat, or hard boiled eggs. She looks for salad dressings that don't have HFCS added. She has the additional problem of not tolerating acid well, so oil and vinegar is out. I know she's found ranch dressings she can eat but I couldn't tell you which brands. She snacks on nuts a lot.

Like you, she needs white rice flour, not brown. Brown rice does not agree with her because of the fructans. She has trouble finding commercial gluten-free baked goods that don't have a lot of brown rice flour. I've seen her eat corn tortillas, so that's one option.

What Cass says about amounts mattering is really true for Mom. She even buys dextrose to balance her fructose:glucose ratio a little better if she's eating out and unsure about the fructose in her food.

As for probiotics, people with fructose malabsorption do not tolerate them well at all. They're generally not recommended, except perhaps gentle ones like yogurt.

I believe Mom uses this Yahoo group for help and support.

Hedra is one of the experts and moderators and has started a wiki that might help you too.

I hope this helps, although fructose malabsorption is a bit of a pain. I hope I got Dad's genes there and don't develop it later in life!

My mom is the one with fructose malabsorption and she's gluten-free as well. I've seen her eat salad a lot, but she's never been one for iceburg lettuce. She eats the baby greens or romaine. She has to watch what other veggies she puts on it. She eats a lot of chef salads with hard cheese (low lactose), sliced gluten-free lunch meat, or hard boiled eggs. She looks for salad dressings that don't have HFCS added. She has the additional problem of not tolerating acid well, so oil and vinegar is out. I know she's found ranch dressings she can eat but I couldn't tell you which brands. She snacks on nuts a lot.

Like you, she needs white rice flour, not brown. Brown rice does not agree with her because of the fructans. She has trouble finding commercial gluten-free baked goods that don't have a lot of brown rice flour. I've seen her eat corn tortillas, so that's one option.

What Cass says about amounts mattering is really true for Mom. She even buys dextrose to balance her fructose:glucose ratio a little better if she's eating out and unsure about the fructose in her food.

As for probiotics, people with fructose malabsorption do not tolerate them well at all. They're generally not recommended, except perhaps gentle ones like yogurt.

I believe Mom uses this Yahoo group for help and support.

Hedra is one of the experts and moderators and has started a wiki that might help you too.

I hope this helps, although fructose malabsorption is a bit of a pain. I hope I got Dad's genes there and don't develop it later in life!

I have a quick question, do I need to be eating fructose to be tested? I want to thank you all. I stayed away from it today and my bloat is so much better. My pain is down as well! I have a small bloat, but not like before. I take this as another challenege :) I'm intersted about the dextrose. Must read up...

I need to get that spell check or reread ;)

burdee Enthusiast

I do not react with bloating or gas to many of those foods (listed in a previous post) which are supposed to bloat everybody. I do react to 'gassy vegies' like brocolli, cabbage, brussel sprouts and onions, if I don't take "Excuseme" (like Beano). However I don't react to fruits and other 'fructose containing' foods. Nevertheless, when I took a probiotic with FOS (fructooligosaccharides), I reacted everytime I took that probiotic for the past 4 years, even though my doc told me I would adjust to the FOS and no longer react. So I now take a probiotics which does NOT contain FOS and I have NO bloating reactions after taking that probiotic (when I first get up and just before bed).

I don't think you need to have fructose intolerance to react to FOS. That's a nondigestible (low calorie) sweetner which is used extensively in Japan. However you don't need FOS in your probiotic in order to absorb the good bacteria, as long as you get some kind of fiber in your diet to feed those bacteria.

I've also taken several blood tests which diagnosed my delayed reaction (IgG antibody mediated) food allergies. Abstaining from all my diagnosed allergens also prevents bloating for me.

After I was tested for acid production with a Heidelberg Capsule Test and diagnosed with hypochloridia (low acid production), I began taking HCl supplements with meals. That also greatly reduced the bloating I previously experienced after every meal. I DO NOT RECOMMEND TAKING HCL SUPPLEMENTS WITHOUT FIRST TESTING FOR STOMACH ACID PRODUCTION.

Skylark Collaborator

I have a quick question, do I need to be eating fructose to be tested? I want to thank you all. I stayed away from it today and my bloat is so much better. My pain is down as well! I have a small bloat, but not like before. I take this as another challenege :) I'm intersted about the dextrose. Must read up...

I think they feed you fructose and do a hydrogen breath test, but I'm really not sure. As with any intolerance, response to the diet is the strongest evidence! If you're in the US, you might even have a hard time finding a doctor who has heard of fructose malabsorption. You should ask on that Yahoo group. :)

I'm very glad to hear you're feeling better.

cassP Contributor

I DO NOT RECOMMEND TAKING HCL SUPPLEMENTS WITHOUT FIRST TESTING FOR STOMACH ACID PRODUCTION.

AMEN. HCL is identical to stomach acid. also if anyone ever juices BEETS- always mix it with other fruits and veggies- it is just as bad as stomach acid too! i ALREADY KNEW this- and still forgot one day- only drank the beets and burned my esophagus :(

if you cant get to a doc yet, and want to aid in your digestion- try a little apple cider vinegar before you eat, and digestive enzymes

Okay guys, I added some plain cooked spinach for lunch and my sides and tummy hurt bad! I'm trying to find a veggie that I can eat, any ideas? I really want to try a salad, but don't want to be this way two days in a row.

cassP Contributor

Okay guys, I added some plain cooked spinach for lunch and my sides and tummy hurt bad! I'm trying to find a veggie that I can eat, any ideas? I really want to try a salad, but don't want to be this way two days in a row.

pain from cooked spinach?? & you're in your 4th month gluten free??

what else did you eat today??? for breakfast? and for lunch with the spinach??? did you drink coffee today? or have dairy? or use any artificial sweeteners? or chew gum with sorbitol??

its just hard to imagine cooked spinach to be a culprit. ??

pain from cooked spinach?? & you're in your 4th month gluten free??

what else did you eat today??? for breakfast? and for lunch with the spinach??? did you drink coffee today? or have dairy? or use any artificial sweeteners? or chew gum with sorbitol??

its just hard to imagine cooked spinach to be a culprit. ??

I had earl grey tea which is usually okay, Turkey meat 99% fat free with McComick garlic powder, fresh mushrooms, rice noodles, gluten-free soy sauce. gluten-free soy sauce I have had on a low pain day and it seems fine. And the cooked spinach.

I've had the rice noodles on a semi low pain day. I'm very paranoid about the gluten-free, that I wear food gloves. I dont feel glutened, just bad bloating and side pain. I'm at a loss. Only water to drink.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I don't know if you are having some other problem like fructose malabsorption or lyme disease. I know that I get bloated from trace gluten consumption. I get so big that I can't wear my usual pants. Sometimes I look 5 months pregnant. My GI said that it was from intestinal inflammation. I am a super sensitive celiac. I need to carefully wash my fruit with soap and then peel it to not react. I can't eat processed gluten-free foods like the rice noodles, BBQ sauce etc. The spice company that you mentioned gets me. I use fresh garlic now. Did you wash that spinach before you ate it? Could it have gotten cc? It is possible that you have another problem, or that you are also a super sensitive celiac. To check for that, eat a whole foods diet, wash and peel everything and stay away from the chicken. For some reason it seems to bother super sensitive celiacs. Whatever it is, I hope that you figure it out.

cassP Contributor

I don't know if you are having some other problem like fructose malabsorption or lyme disease. I know that I get bloated from trace gluten consumption. I get so big that I can't wear my usual pants. Sometimes I look 5 months pregnant. My GI said that it was from intestinal inflammation. I am a super sensitive celiac. I need to carefully wash my fruit with soap and then peel it to not react. I can't eat processed gluten-free foods like the rice noodles, BBQ sauce etc. The spice company that you mentioned gets me. I use fresh garlic now. Did you wash that spinach before you ate it? Could it have gotten cc? It is possible that you have another problem, or that you are also a super sensitive celiac. To check for that, eat a whole foods diet, wash and peel everything and stay away from the chicken. For some reason it seems to bother super sensitive celiacs. Whatever it is, I hope that you figure it out.

do you know what your DQ genes are??? im starting to wonder if Celiac's degree of sensitivity can be related to what their genes are... OR maybe its only related to amount of damage in the gut.??? it's all so interesting to me.

before i went "gluten lite & mostly carb free" a decade ago- i DID get to the point where i was having the "D" every day. but im not one of those people now who gets the "D" from CC. i definitely have side effects, and the last time i ingested gluten- i had Tacychardia & severe nausea... but i usually get the "C" & painful gas, and strange Bms... LONG BEFORE any "D".

im a double DQ8... i didnt know if the classic "DQ 2.5" was more sensitive than me- or if it's just the damage.

sorry to ramble- i just find it fascinating

Archived