Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Syl

Multivitamin For Celiacs & Seeking Advice

Hello all! I am new to the Celiacs.com forums, but have been using this wonderful website for a bit now for all sorts of useful information about celiacs disease. I suppose a little information about my particular case would be helpful huh? I was diagnosed with Celiacs disease at the end of June of this year after suffering symptoms of it for about a year and a half. My most troubling symptom has been extreme fatigue which was been very trying and I was very excited to finally have an idea as to what was going on. I've been gluten free since the end of June now, a bit over 2 months. After taking the six week gluten free challenge I had an ELISA food allergy test done and discovered I have an allergy to Dairy, Soy, Citrus, and Nuts as well which may have been the reason I haven't noticed any changes. Also, I currently take Kirkman Pro-bio defense (healthy bacteria) and WAS taking Biogenesis Intestinal Repair Capsules until I found out Soy was used in it.

My point for all this is that malabsorbtion was thought to be a large reason for my fatigue and has caused some serious hunger issues for me. I have done a lot of research on the matter and a consensus seems to be the body is crying out for nutrition. I eat A LOT of produce now but can never seem to get enough food sometimes. I am seeking a multi vitamin that is not only gluten free, but doesn't have hidden ingredients that would trigger my other allergies so that I may have a better chance at fighting this. I purchased Trader Joe's Multi Vitamin & Mineral Antioxidant today as it had no questionable ingredients on the label and was stated to be gluten free, but I'm still paranoid :[ I've only taken it once but it made me a bit nauseous.

I apologize for the long and rambly post, I'm just hard pressed for information right now as I cannot see my doctor for some time (moved to new city so must establish new care or take a greyhound back to her) and still yearn to learn more that I can do to help myself. Much thanks to anyone who reads this and any suggestions or confirmation that this particular vitamin I chose today is okay would be really helpful!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Syl,

Take a peek at Freeda Vitamins (www.freedavitamins.com). They're all gluten free. I, too, am gluten free, dairy free, and soy free. I've never had any issues with them. They make several varieties so I'm sure you can find one to meet your needs.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Jillian

Jillian

I was dx Celiac 2008 + casein, soy, legume, & nightshade intolerant; dx hypothyroid 2006

14 yr. old daughter dx Celiac + plus casein & soy intolerant 2008

12 yr. old daughter dx gluten intolerant 2008

9 yr. old son dx Celiac 2008 + casein intolerant. DH Rash.

Hi Syl,

Take a peek at Freeda Vitamins (www.freedavitamins.com). They're all gluten free. I, too, am gluten free, dairy free, and soy free. I've never had any issues with them. They make several varieties so I'm sure you can find one to meet your needs.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Jillian

Hi there Jillian, thank you for the response! I'm sorry to hear about the multiple allergies, but it is indeed good to know I'm not alone. I really like the suggestion tho, thanks! The low amount of ingredients in the vitamins makes it simpler and the declaration on their about us section is very reassuring. I just might have to follow your advice on that one and see how it works for me. Thanks again!

Dan

Country Life also makes some good ones. The excessive hunger is normal, make sure you are getting plenty of protein and nutrient dense foods while you are healing. Once you have healed the constant hunger should level off.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Country Life also makes some good ones. The excessive hunger is normal, make sure you are getting plenty of protein and nutrient dense foods while you are healing. Once you have healed the constant hunger should level off.

Hello Raven, thank you very much for the suggestion! I will be out tomorrow at a nice vitamin shop downtown to take a look with your suggestion in mind. Many thanks for the reassurance as well - it is quite the nagging thing. I am certainly eating plenty of nutritional food tho (more so then I ever have in my entire life, one good thing that came from having celiacs), not a single day without a good chunk of produce along with a good bit of meat, and ever since diagnosis, a silly attempt to uphold the proverb "An apple a day keeps the doctor away" :P So far it has not worked, haha. Thank you very much for the advice tho, every little bit puts a smile on my face.

Also, very sorry to hear about your long battle with celiacs and your family, that must have been very difficult. Best wishes.

I had a hard time with multivitamins upsetting my stomach until I found chewables. BellyBar makes Gluten Free prenatal vitamins that are fine for taking even if you are not pregnant. I actually like the idea of slightly higher vitamin levels because of our malabsorption problems. I've been able to find them at Walgreens and BabiesRUs. They were with the children's vitamins. There are also some chewable children's out there and they will say the amount for adults. I think it is usually double. Those don't have the minerals like a one a day will, but if you get stomach upset, they are an option. I also like drinking fortified protien shakes.

I take two "flushes" of vitamins per day. I take isontonix in the morning (it's a powder vitamin you mix with water and drink on empty stomach) - this has made a huge difference in my energy levels (supposed to have a 90% or higher absorption rate). I also take Garden of Life RAW wholefood vitmains. You can also take this on an empty stomach -sometimes I break the capsule open and add it to my smoothies.

I question anything you can't take on an empty stomach- the harshness of many vitamins to me signals that they are too processed and are made up of too many isolates instead of full-spectrum nutrients (meaning most are man-made versus natural).

Not to be graphic, but when it comes to vitmains, I was told by my naturopath, that if it's changing the color of your urine, it's junk. Neither of the vitamins above do that. Hope this helps. Happy vitamin shopping!

2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)

2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life

Thank you all so much for your input, it means the world to me, especially now that I am not regularly seeing the doctor that diagnosed me. After a lot of research I found two great gluten free groups within Eugene, OR and here in Corvallis where I am that provided me with even more insight on the options available. I've decided that I will be giving Country Life's multi vitamin in liquid form a go as I'm told it is better for absorption, which is definitely an issue for me it seems.

Aside from that I am trying hard to get more protein as Raven suggested as I have noticed quite a loss in muscle mass over time, and I am still losing weight even tho I eat like a pig. I will be picking up some brown rice protein powder from Nutribiotic to help supplement it.

Last but not least after being gluten free for 2 months, and now including soy free, dairy free, citrus free, and nuts free and not feeling any better I will be pursuing further testing such as for a Thyroid condition, vitamin deficiency, and certainly Osteoporosis. If anyone else happens to read this please feel free to let me know what else could be important testing as it is most appreciated.

This forum is just so enriched with a wealth of information provided by many kind and caring individuals, and I couldn't be happier to have found it. Thanks again!

Not to be graphic, but when it comes to vitmains, I was told by my naturopath, that if it's changing the color of your urine, it's junk. Neither of the vitamins above do that. Hope this helps. Happy vitamin shopping!

I saw on Dr. Oz awhile back that if your urine is a bright color it's because you aren't absorbing your vitamins like you're supposed to, and you are basically just peeing them out (resulting in the bright neon urine). Naturally, I forgot what you were supposed to do to KEEP from passing your vitamins through you... lol Go figure! :rolleyes:

Back on topic: Does anyone take 1aDay Brand vitamins? That's what I use, but I've heard that they're kind of junk.

Officially diagnosed with Celiac via positive blood testing - May 2010