This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten In Corn Dogs At Football Game?

crampy girl

crampy girl Apprentice

Does anyone know if there is gluten in corn dogs? I ate two foot long corn dogs thinking they were safe, being corn and all, and felt nauseated about 4 hours later, went to bed feeling extremely nauseated then this morning had those infamous stomach cramps-almost diarrhea episode. Thought I was doing good. When I google corn dogs, all these recipes come back for gluten free corn dog recipes, so I am guessing they do?

Oh and I feel that groggy feeling again and my poop is floating today. I am out for the day, can't go shopping or go spend time with kids at grandparents, I feel like crap!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

K8ling Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure they aren't safe. Also, it depends on the hotdogs because they use fillers sometimes. The best thing you can do is not eat it if you aren't sure.

srall Contributor

I wouldn't trust the hot dog or the corn bread. Especially at a FB game. Feel better soon!

(I miss corn dogs so much!)

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I don't know about the ones at the game, but most of the frozen ones I have seen at the store have wheat flour in the "corn bread" part.

crampy girl Apprentice

I don't know about the ones at the game, but most of the frozen ones I have seen at the store have wheat flour in the "corn bread" part.

Great, ughhhh! I love corn dogs... oh well. I have been to the bathroom three times since I posted this and feel like total crap. I noticed you were self diagnosed? I am pretty much self diagnosed after noticing my cramps after pizza, crackers and cereal. But I don't believe I have the full blown celiac sprue thing. An article from Mayo says there are differences in gluten allergy, gluten intolerant non celiac and celiac sprue. My panel came back neg three yrs ago and I dismissed it, but just started the diet out of desperation in August.

chasbari Apprentice

Yeah, negative blood work here but brutally positive endoscope. Blood work is not always a good indicator. Don't minimize your response to the dietary restrictions. I would suggest you follow gluten-free carefully... like you are by checking things out here. There is a learning curve so write this one off to a learning experience. Hard to be cautious when it is so inconvenient but it is well worth it in the long run.

Great, ughhhh! I love corn dogs... oh well. I have been to the bathroom three times since I posted this and feel like total crap. I noticed you were self diagnosed? I am pretty much self diagnosed after noticing my cramps after pizza, crackers and cereal. But I don't believe I have the full blown celiac sprue thing. An article from Mayo says there are differences in gluten allergy, gluten intolerant non celiac and celiac sprue. My panel came back neg three yrs ago and I dismissed it, but just started the diet out of desperation in August.

Yeah, I didn't really know much about celiac so I never had testing done and none of my doctors ever suggested it. I did an elimination diet out of desperation and figured out that gluten grains bothered me as well as soy and dairy. Then I started looking into celiac and I have almost all the neurological symptoms people post about here when glutened. I didn't have much for gastro symptoms until I went gluten free. Now if I'm glutened I have both gastro and neurological symptoms. It's a good motivator to stay gluten free and be really strict about the diet. Even thought there are different labels--gluten intolerant versus celiac I am just as strict as if I were diagnosed celiac by blood test and biopsy. My reason is that I have several first degree relatives that have had intestinal cancer and other diseases that I believe to be related to celiac. That and my symptoms are enough to scare me away from any desire to cheat or take risks with this diet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

crampy girl Apprentice

Yeah, I didn't really know much about celiac so I never had testing done and none of my doctors ever suggested it. I did an elimination diet out of desperation and figured out that gluten grains bothered me as well as soy and dairy. Then I started looking into celiac and I have almost all the neurological symptoms people post about here when glutened. I didn't have much for gastro symptoms until I went gluten free. Now if I'm glutened I have both gastro and neurological symptoms. It's a good motivator to stay gluten free and be really strict about the diet. Even thought there are different labels--gluten intolerant versus celiac I am just as strict as if I were diagnosed celiac by blood test and biopsy. My reason is that I have several first degree relatives that have had intestinal cancer and other diseases that I believe to be related to celiac. That and my symptoms are enough to scare me away from any desire to cheat or take risks with this diet.

saw you post about diarrhea, I think it is the antibiotics. They take a while to give diarrhea. I'm almost sure that's what was bothering you, even if you eat yogurt, its not enough to keep from getting it. Out of curiosity, is it a fluoquinolone? Like ciprofloxacin or one of those? If so, be careful you don't have abx induced c difficile colitis.

sahm-i-am Apprentice

My daughter is 11 and LOVES corndogs - it is the one and only thing she missed when she went gluten free. So what I do is make the corn muffin recipe (any gluten-free one will do, I use the one on the side of a gluten-free corn meal box) and fill the muffin tin half full of mixture, add two slices of Nathan's Hot Dogs (or any other gluten-free dog) and then top with remaining mixture. Bake 'em in the oven and they come out delicious! Not spongy like the store bought ones, but really good. My daughter had friends over for a sleepover and I made these - big hit!

I'm sorry you feel like crap. Make these, freeze them (which works great) and take a couple out before you head to the next game. Will save you money and heart ache!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Just because your panel was negative 3 years ago doesn't mean it would have been negative before you started the diet in last month. A negative blood panel also doesn't rule out celiac, nor does a negative biopsy. False negatives in both are all too common.

You clearly react to gluten and feel free to call yourself whatever you are comfortable with. Even though my panels were negative my doctor still firmly diagnosed me celiac not gluten intolerant. There are some here that believe gluten intolerance is celiac that has not progressed to extensive autoimmune destruction. I tend to agree with them.

As to the corn dog question all the ready made corn dogs I have ever seen have wheat in them the same as any corn bread mix you can purchase or ready made corn bread that you buy.

GFinDC Veteran

The corn coating could have gluten in it, the hot dog could have gluten in it, the mustard could have gluten in it, the oil in the fryer could have gluten in it from frying other things with batter on them like onion rings etc..

Darn210 Enthusiast

As to the corn dog question all the ready made corn dogs I have ever seen have wheat in them the same as any corn bread mix you can purchase or ready made corn bread that you buy.

Same here . . . and the gluten free ones that I (actually the kids) have tried were nasty, expensive and in one case outrageously cc'd (Wellshire Farms incident a couple of years ago if anyone remembers, don't know if they've cleaned up their act since then or not)

I do have a recipe that the kids like. I make a big batch and freeze most of them to pull out as needed. Haven't made them in ages but I can post the recipe if anyone is interested.

Darn210 Enthusiast

The corn coating could have gluten in it, the hot dog could have gluten in it, the mustard could have gluten in it, the oil in the fryer could have gluten in it from frying other things with batter on them like onion rings etc..

This would definitely be the case at a sports arena.

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

I would assume 100% of the time that corn dogs have gluten because cornbread batter will have wheat flour in it. (unless it's gluten free of course which a stadium won't offer most likely)

saw you post about diarrhea, I think it is the antibiotics. They take a while to give diarrhea. I'm almost sure that's what was bothering you, even if you eat yogurt, its not enough to keep from getting it. Out of curiosity, is it a fluoquinolone? Like ciprofloxacin or one of those? If so, be careful you don't have abx induced c difficile colitis.

Oh, no to clarify I did not have D while taking antibiotics of even after I was done with them. I took Antibiotics for almost a year prior to my even trying a gluten free diet. I can't remember what they were now but they were really strong ones (including a few round of intravenous in the hospital) because I had MRSA and the doctor also suspected Lymes, but the tests are not accurate. So I was on antibiotics to see if they would help with my fatigue and neuro problems which had me just about bed ridden. They didn't help with anything except the MRSA and I discontinued them once the MRSA cleared up. Then I struggled for another 3 or 4 months with no medication and no idea what it could be (doctors were ready to diagnoses me with fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome). I had NO major digestive problems prior to doing the diet. I get D if I eat gluten now (plus the fatigue, brain fog, muscle pain, etc). So I stay far, far away from it. Even tiny bits of cross contamination make me sick. I do eat yogurt now to try to keep my gut balanced, but I also take probiotics in pill form. I agree with you, the ones in yogurt are not nearly enough.

lovegrov Collaborator

The batter for the corndogs most certainly had wheat in it. The wheat flour holds the coating together. HOWEVER, the hot dog itself almost without question did NOT have gluten. The only hot dog with gluten I've ever heard of in the U.S. was Nathan's, and they changed their recipe to eliminate the gluten.

richard

GFinDC Veteran

I have heard that at the Washington Nationals baseball stadium here in DC,they have some gluten free hot dogs and pretzels available, and even Redbridge beer. So things are moving in the right direction at least. So to the op, maybe ask at your football teams info desk about gluten free options, as you never know what they may have. Probably an email to them is the best choice. Or you could paint your chest and face with gluten free colors, and a big G. F. on your chest. And then go along with a bunch of friends all made up the same and then yell real loud when the camera swings your way. Not sure what G. F. colors are though, maybe green and white, like this site and some others? :D

bridgetm Enthusiast

I found some gluten-free corn dogs at the gluten-free store by my house this summer. S'Better Farms. They're listed on the gluten free mall site:

Open Original Shared Link

They are more pricey than the regular corn dogs you used to buy, but when you're really craving that corn dog...

I used to eat the MN State Fair corn dogs frequently (why go to the Fair when you can find the corn dogs and Sweet Martha's cookies in the freezer section?) and, though S'Better corn dogs are not nearly as good, they'll do; they'll have to do. The hot dog is shorter than what you usually see in a corn dog and the breading will crumble since it doesn't form around the dog as well as the gluteny breading does, BUT add the condiments of your choice (Jack Daniel's BBQ sauce :) ) and enjoy the good old days... kind of.

Archived