Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sueter

Smoked Fish

I have just eaten a piece of smoked fish within a half hour i can barely focus or stand up ,I feel quite ill ,headache very giddy is there a colouring or an additive in the processing .I am new to this my doctor has done no test I have been like this for years .only when i had a hair sample tested by a chinese shop did it come back wheat problem but I now konw it is gluten my dr says the only way to find out is to stop the gluten and i do feel 95 percent better but it is in so much and my husband does not beleive in it any advise would be very helpful sue

I have heard of problems with smoked meats, but it would depend on the process, I suppose. My husband smokes meats all the time and I have no problems with it. But we use wood chunks, chips. I've heard that briquets are a problem as they are molded and often have binding agents in them.

Whether it has gluten may depend greatly on where it was made and whether it might have been cross-contaminated. (or the liquid smoke potential issue, too, of course)

When I was calling up fish processing companies, a number of them had wheat based soy sauce that they used on many of their fish, and some of them said there was a good chance any fish processed on their equipment could be cross-contaminated. so perhaps that's it?