This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Buckwheat, Butter, Honey, Thyroid

elk

elk Rookie

I was reading the "Discouraged" thread and I'm having similar problems -- I too just started going completely gluten-free so I'm not expecting to feel better for a while. But, I was doing okay this morning until I ate this. Now it feels like my blood pressure is up and I feel a little sick and nauseous and have a headache (not a migraine yet though - TG). I would normally attribute this feeling to thyroid, but it's odd that it came on almost right after eating. I ate cream of buckwheat cereal (buckwheat is the only ingredient) with butter (cream & salt) and a little raw honey. This is the first time trying buckwheat and if that's the cause, then boo because I thought I found a tasty non-grain/gluten hot food. Maybe the sugar? I don't think it's the butter since I've had that before without a problem. Back to greens and meat only I guess. How many setbacks do you get before you go completely nuts? <_<

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cassP Contributor

I was reading the "Discouraged" thread and I'm having similar problems -- I too just started going completely gluten-free so I'm not expecting to feel better for a while. But, I was doing okay this morning until I ate this. Now it feels like my blood pressure is up and I feel a little sick and nauseous and have a headache (not a migraine yet though - TG). I would normally attribute this feeling to thyroid, but it's odd that it came on almost right after eating. I ate cream of buckwheat cereal (buckwheat is the only ingredient) with butter (cream & salt) and a little raw honey. This is the first time trying buckwheat and if that's the cause, then boo because I thought I found a tasty non-grain/gluten hot food. Maybe the sugar? I don't think it's the butter since I've had that before without a problem. Back to greens and meat only I guess. How many setbacks do you get before you go completely nuts? <_<

i cant relate to the migraines or hbp.... sorry.

but i CAN tell you that i just got off of Google- i had to go back and look at the lists on the FOD MAP Diet... because i have been in abdominal distress for days...

i thought i had already had my fructose consumption to a safe low level.... but i guess i was overdoing the fructans this week (garlic, onions, artichokes)

:(

but im so so so bummed.. i have been CRAVING raw garlic for over a week now... i wish i could just eat whatever i wanted :( isnt it enough that we have to eliminate gluten, and maybe dairy???

:( sorry, im having a "poor me" moment

elk Rookie

I hear ya, it's so freaking maddening. I thought I was going to get to see my horse today and I completely ruined that by eating... and it wasn't even something bad... I hate that.

tarnalberry Community Regular

was the butter a new container so as to avoid cross contamination?

do you have any issues with dairy?

do you tend to get low-blood sugar issues?

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I hear ya, it's so freaking maddening. I thought I was going to get to see my horse today and I completely ruined that by eating... and it wasn't even something bad... I hate that.

How often are you at the stable? Do you do the horses feeding and grooming? When and if you do are you wearing a mask and gloves in the stable? Please be careful around the barn, usually they are full of gluten from feed and bedding. Inhaling the dust may cause you to react. Since reactions can be delayed you might attribute a reaction to a food when in reality you are reacting to something inhaled.

elk Rookie

yeah, the butter was new. I don't think I have issues with dairy, but I don't have any good days where I can get a handle on what's causing what. I eat butter fairly frequently, but not much other dairy. Guess I'll drop that for a while. I'm at the barn as much as possible - although lately I've been missing a lot due to an increase in being sick. I do mess with the hay and occasionally feed (good point). Although I haven't been there in 4 days and had an okay day yesterday and then completely crashed today. I did have some peanuts (peanuts, oil, salt) yesterday and some organic grapes (oh no call in the food police <_< ) which I haven't had in a while, so maybe a delayed reaction? I really feel like it was the buckwheat though considering the timing and "heart burn-ish" type feeling directly after.

WheatChef Apprentice

In the beginning of the diet it's almost impossible to tell what is making you sick as your body can just periodically throw you a curve ball while it's adjusting.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elk Rookie

Thank you, it is helpful to hear that. It's so frustrating and it would be nice to see some positive feedback for my efforts every once in a while.

elk Rookie

from my body that is :lol:

Marilyn R Community Regular

I'm sorry you're feeling discouraged. I get that way and try to remember that even my worst days now are better than my best days before ... sounds like country western lyrics in the making, but it somehow helps.

Its a time of trial and error in evey literal sense. We're going to try things and find out that they're not good for us at all period, or not good for us right now and it is frustrating and confounding us.

My neuro & GI symptoms seem to start about 6-8 hours after I ingest something I'm intollerant to, but there are people who react immediately with GI symptoms (GER).

I bought buckwheat for the first time today, before reading this e-mail. Now I might just stick it in the freezer to save for when I'm more stable. Some older posts recommend that you stay away from introducing foreign grains/mixes for a few months while you heal.

Can you tolerate rice? Warmed rice with a fried or scrambled egg and feta cheese is nice in the morning. Mom used to plump raisins and mix with warmed rice, butter and brown sugar for breakfast. You could sub natural applesauce for the butter and brown sugar...

Wishing everyon better days ahead,

Marilyn

My favorite breakfast when I'm hating thinking about eating and feeling horrid is peeled, sliced apple or banana with safe peanut butter, a drizzle (or not) of honey, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Then I can take a vitamin and start the day, ready or not

elk Rookie

Hi Marilyn. Thanks for your input. The part about your neuro symptoms coming on first is striking a nerve. I think I've been hesitant about blaming gluten as the culprit because most of my symptoms are neuro -- except lately I'm starting to notice some GI symptoms. I really should know better after seeing the difference since cutting out processed foods 3 years ago. The problem there was that the improvement was (relatively) brief and I started feeling crummy again. Maybe I had started to heal from the drastic reduction in gluten, but my continued use of gluten in homemade food was keeping me sick and making the symptoms more pronounced.

Rice is weird for me. It seems like sometimes I can have it and other times I can't. Even just plain rice. I had rice pasta about a week ago and got a migraine, nausea, and aches for 2 days. I had just gotten over that and had the buckwheat incident. I hope we can eventually eat that because it's pretty tasty. My typical breakfast is apples and PB. :P It seems safe for me so I'll just continue with that while (hopefully <_< ) things get better. Eggs, feta, and rice sound yum, but aged cheeses are a migraine trigger for me. :angry: Occasionally I can have mild cheese like fresh mozzarella or jack with no coloring or additives. But I'm a little gun shy right now.

I guess I'll be putting the buckwheat in the freezer for now too. B)

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Was it a certified gluten free buckwheat? If not, it could have been contaminated. I have reacted to all those things, but I am super sensitive. If you aren't super sensitive you should be good with Birkitt Mills buckwheat. Could lactose be a problem with butter? Lots of us are lactose intolerant until we heal.

I can only do buckwheat if I wash it carefully first. Honey, I haven't found one that I can eat. Butter, I can eat it from my special farmer who pasture raises and supplements with corn and soy. But, as I said. I am super sensitive.

elk Rookie

It was Bob's Red Mill and said gluten-free but not certified gluten-free. I have since had butter and been fine, so I'm ruling that out. If I go without dairy for a while, then I have some GI issues when I do have it.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

It was Bob's Red Mill and said gluten-free but not certified gluten-free. I have since had butter and been fine, so I'm ruling that out. If I go without dairy for a while, then I have some GI issues when I do have it.

If you like Buckwheat try the Pocono brand. Not only is the plant dedicated it is in the town where it is grown and the fields are dedicated also. Not much of a CC chance with that brand.

elk Rookie

excellent, thank you!

Reba32 Rookie

have you tried flax meal as a non-grain cereal replacement? If you can tolerate eggs and dairy, here's an easy recipe for a wonderful hot "cereal"

in a small sauce pan on medium heat:

2 tablespoons ricotta cheese

whisk in 1 to 2 tablespoons water if the cheese is "dry"

whisk in 1 large egg, whisk while cooking for a couple of minutes

2 or 3 tablespoons canned pumpkin (NOT pie filling, just plain pumpkin)

1 packet of sweetener of choice (Splenda, Stevia, sugar, whatever)

1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice

whisk while cooking for another couple of minutes. Total prep time is only about 5 minutes max. Serves 1. Increase ingredients for additional servings.

It's really very yummy and healthy and stuff ;)

elk Rookie

The recipe sounds yummy, I'll have to give it a try - thank you. B)

I've tried flax on and off and I seem to have a problem with it. I'll probably try again after things are a bit more under control.

BenVenit Newbie

You cannot eat garlic? I eat it by the cloves!!! Are we not supposed to eat garlic?!

elk Rookie

I eat tons of garlic -- I hope that's not one of my problems :o

cassP Contributor

You cannot eat garlic? I eat it by the cloves!!! Are we not supposed to eat garlic?!

who you talking to?

yes- garlic is super good for you. but some of us (like me) have additional intolerances. i cannot handle too much fructose or fructans. i can eat garlic, onions, artichokes... but only in small amounts or one at a time.

if you dont have any digestive issues with it, then gorge away :)

mushroom Proficient

have you tried flax meal as a non-grain cereal replacement? If you can tolerate eggs and dairy, here's an easy recipe for a wonderful hot "cereal"

in a small sauce pan on medium heat:

2 tablespoons ricotta cheese

whisk in 1 to 2 tablespoons water if the cheese is "dry"

whisk in 1 large egg, whisk while cooking for a couple of minutes

2 or 3 tablespoons canned pumpkin (NOT pie filling, just plain pumpkin)

1 packet of sweetener of choice (Splenda, Stevia, sugar, whatever)

1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice

whisk while cooking for another couple of minutes. Total prep time is only about 5 minutes max. Serves 1. Increase ingredients for additional servings.

It's really very yummy and healthy and stuff ;)

How much flax seed meal do you add?? :blink:

• 5 years later...
MiliMili Newbie

Ever since I went gluten-free I learn new things about how my body reacts to foods and now it is so much easier to catch something that makes my body to react weird then when I was eating everything.

Here is few things that I would like to report:

• Gluten free foods can often throw off my system because of added product that contains dairy. Apparently I learned that many people have gluten allergy also have dairy problems because gluten structure and behavior resembles for the body that of dairy products and hence the problem
  • What I did not know about dairy allergy is a good news to many people - apparently NOT ALL DIARY IS ALL BAD FOR ALL GLUTEN SENSITIVE PEOPLE - how? because many people are allergic  not to dairy per se but only to the dairy that is not marked as organic and grass fed. Apparently a cow that is fed grain feed containing gluten does pass the gluten into the milk, hence the problem. That is NOT the case in grass fed dairy products so they do not cause reaction. So far I find it true and that explained so many of my frustrations as I was SO careful NOT to touch anything with gluten yet finding myself having symptoms after having coffe with cream?..  gluten free oats with butter or organic plain yougurt.. 
  • AS LONG AS I EAT GRASS FEED YOUGURTS, MILKS AND BUTTERS I AM FINE, AS SOON AS I GO BACK TO NORMAL DAIRY EVEN ORGANIC, I GET REACTION. Works like a charm. This is a bad news and a good news, Bad news is that the grass fed organics are expensive but good news is that at least I can eat some sometimes.
  • Honey - I did not know that honey actually can cause arythima and since I have tendency, then every time I eat honey it causes pretty bad arythmia. Here organic does not make any difference. Any Honey. 
  • I also have the same reaction eating very ripe bananas, and so I started researching arythmias and foods and apparently they are more prominent in people who have gluten allergy and they are also reacting having arythima or heart paplipations after eating certain foods. It is basically about some minimal amount of some substances present in those foods and the foods are including but not limited to: almonds, hone,y bananas and all Ripe Fruits, smoked meats and cold cuts, canned food and picked food and sourkraut etc.. the list is bigger, you can easily google arythima and foods to find all.
  • During my quest for gluten-free body I also found that many gluten-free processed food is just as bad for me and most of my gluten free friends as eating gluten, just in different way. I don't know why but most of those gluten-free processed foods like breads, cookies, chips etc.. contain other bad stuff like soy (hormon disruptor) and other bad fats, and gums.. xantan gums and other gums. There are actually studies showing that they do cause very bad reactions in many people and that makes totally sense as I always felt bad after eating them.

kareng Grand Master
3 hours ago, MiliMili said:

Ever since I went gluten-free I learn new things about how my body reacts to foods and now it is so much easier to catch something that makes my body to react weird then when I was eating everything.

Here is few things that I would like to report:

• Gluten free foods can often throw off my system because of added product that contains dairy. Apparently I learned that many people have gluten allergy also have dairy problems because gluten structure and behavior resembles for the body that of dairy products and hence the problem
  • What I did not know about dairy allergy is a good news to many people - apparently NOT ALL DIARY IS ALL BAD FOR ALL GLUTEN SENSITIVE PEOPLE - how? because many people are allergic  not to dairy per se but only to the dairy that is not marked as organic and grass fed. Apparently a cow that is fed grain feed containing gluten does pass the gluten into the milk, hence the problem. That is NOT the case in grass fed dairy products so they do not cause reaction. So far I find it true and that explained so many of my frustrations as I was SO careful NOT to touch anything with gluten yet finding myself having symptoms after having coffe with cream?..  gluten free oats with butter or organic plain yougurt.. 
  • AS LONG AS I EAT GRASS FEED YOUGURTS, MILKS AND BUTTERS I AM FINE, AS SOON AS I GO BACK TO NORMAL DAIRY EVEN ORGANIC, I GET REACTION. Works like a charm. This is a bad news and a good news, Bad news is that the grass fed organics are expensive but good news is that at least I can eat some sometimes.
  • Honey - I did not know that honey actually can cause arythima and since I have tendency, then every time I eat honey it causes pretty bad arythmia. Here organic does not make any difference. Any Honey. 
  • I also have the same reaction eating very ripe bananas, and so I started researching arythmias and foods and apparently they are more prominent in people who have gluten allergy and they are also reacting having arythima or heart paplipations after eating certain foods. It is basically about some minimal amount of some substances present in those foods and the foods are including but not limited to: almonds, hone,y bananas and all Ripe Fruits, smoked meats and cold cuts, canned food and picked food and sourkraut etc.. the list is bigger, you can easily google arythima and foods to find all.
  • During my quest for gluten-free body I also found that many gluten-free processed food is just as bad for me and most of my gluten free friends as eating gluten, just in different way. I don't know why but most of those gluten-free processed foods like breads, cookies, chips etc.. contain other bad stuff like soy (hormon disruptor) and other bad fats, and gums.. xantan gums and other gums. There are actually studies showing that they do cause very bad reactions in many people and that makes totally sense as I always felt bad after eating them.

Wow!  That is a lot of mis-information in this answer to a thread from 2010!  That whole part about dairy is way off.  Some people with Celiac disease (which is not an allergy) do have a hard time digesting dairy.  Celiac disease damages the part of the intestines that produce the enzyme  that digests dairy.  some people are able to add dairy back in after they heal.  some cannot.  It has nothing to do with what the cow is fed.

Anyone reading this post - please do a small bit a research from reputable sites.  Thanks

Archived