Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pintail78

Ez Gluten Tests And Beer

I know there is a lot of controversy over this, but I am a science professor and can't deny a good experiment.

Ive been testing beer with the EZ gluten tests. Ive spoken (I called them) with the company and it says (and states in the printed doc) that the product will detect wheat, barley and rye gluten down to 10 ppm, as the enzymes they are looking at are more than just gliadin antibodies, and its an ELISA type test. So far I have tested twice each and it reproduced(at 12$ a pop!):

1) Corona: less than 10 ppm-control and hook, no test line

2) Budweiser: very high-no hook line

3) Karl Strauss Red Trolley: very high-no hook line

I'm on a gluten free diet but will be checking if my levels are low in about 30 days, so it will be a double check. John T.

So for those of us less familiar with the test terminology/procedures what is the interpretation of the results?

I don't know what "hook and control" is nor "test line".

I'm assuming that Corona has very little or undetectable amounts of gluten and the other two have a lot of gluten?

If so, that's strange!

Franceen

Regular beer is made of:

Yeast

Hops

Wheat ( some types)

Barley ( some use very little)

Rice( a few)

Water

Other additives for flavor

If Corona is not wheat beer( I doubt it is) and uses very small amounts of barley or malt, it could test low.

I know there is a lot of controversy over this, but I am a science professor and can't deny a good experiment.

Ive been testing beer with the EZ gluten tests. Ive spoken (I called them) with the company and it says (and states in the printed doc) that the product will detect wheat, barley and rye gluten down to 10 ppm, as the enzymes they are looking at are more than just gliadin antibodies, and its an ELISA type test. So far I have tested twice each and it reproduced(at 12$ a pop!):

1) Corona: less than 10 ppm-control and hook, no test line

2) Budweiser: very high-no hook line

3) Karl Strauss Red Trolley: very high-no hook line

I'm on a gluten free diet but will be checking if my levels are low in about 30 days, so it will be a double check. John T.

I know this is an old post. I found it while doing homework on gluten in beer. Here is a link to another celiac website where the author explains why EZ Gluten strips can't accurately detect gluten in beer. I am involved in the discussion and have quotes from a person at EX Gluten. As a scientist you will better able to understand the arguments, so I thought I would give you the link:

http://ultimateglutenfree.com/2013/07/assay-gluten-barley-flawed-implications-gluten-free-labeling-foods-gluten-free-beer/#comment-24035

LewBob