Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mandy M

Subsitutions

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I tried a couple of things (pie crust and biscuits) with disasterous results. Better to stick to the well developed specialty recipes for me.

I was wondering if anyone has had sucess with doing normal recipes with subsitution all purpose flour with gluten free all purpose flour?

I've done things like gingersnaps and biscotti using gluten-free flour mix. Came out good. You just have to remember to add 1 tsp xanthum gum or they fall apart.

Gluten free since 1990.

Diagnosed by duodenal biopsy.

You don't stop skiing because you get old. You get old because you stop skiing :-)

I was wondering if anyone has had sucess with doing normal recipes with subsitution all purpose flour with gluten free all purpose flour?

Pamela's pancake and baking mix. I sub it for flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and 1/2 the fat listed in the ingredients. Works in pretty much everything but yeast breads :)

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

For things like thickening a sauce or soup or in a casserole or coating food to fry, yes I've had success. For baked goods (especially bread) I don't recommend it. Gluten free baking is very different from gluten baking. It's best to stick with some tried and true recipes until you figure out things like what the consistency of the "dough" should be. I put dough in quotes because many of the things I have tried have been more of a batter or a thick spread than dough. Bread typically doesn't need to be kneaded as much if at all. For example, I made the King Arthur gluten free pizza last week and it was SO good, but when I was putting it in the oven I had doubts about how it would turn out because my dough was more of a batter.

A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

Pamela's pancake and baking mix. I sub it for flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and 1/2 the fat listed in the ingredients. Works in pretty much everything but yeast breads :)

I use Pamela's a lot too. It works very well in some recipes. I also use it for gravies, roux, and dredging. As long as you don't mind the almond meal it works very well. I even use it to make mac & cheese. Like above says make sure you omit the baking soda/powder and salt. I've never reduced the fat in my recipes though.

Mommy to James, who is Celiac diagnosis by blood test and confirmed by endoscopy on 9/29/2009. Our household has been gluten free since.

I've had good results with muffin recipes. However, all of them have had one thing in common-oats. I picked recipes that called for a large percentage of oats-maybe 50% and then subbed a sorghum blend for the all-purpose or whole wheat flour. I also added X-gum according to the instructions/chart on the gum package. I figured that with the types of recipes that I picked I would only be changing up half the flours and because the other part-oats(certified gluten-free;)) would remain unchanged, the chances for changing the overall chemistry of the recipe would be lessened. It's worked well so far. That's my plan and I'm sticking with it!

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

I've made cookies, muffins, quick breads and cakes with substituting my gluten free blend for the amounts of regular flour. I've had to experiment with the amount of xanthan gum, but other than that the recipes I have made have been really good.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

Try using Jules Gluten Free All Purpose flour. It can be used in all of my "normal" recipes with no aftertaste.

Jules also has a lot of great recipes on her website.

www.JulesGlutenFree.com

I tried a couple of things (pie crust and biscuits) with disasterous results. Better to stick to the well developed specialty recipes for me.

If you need help with pie crusts, Jules Shepard has videos that you can watch to help you bake certain recipes.

The videos, pictures and recipes are available for all to see. Just visit www.JulesGlutenFree.com.

She also has a great Thanksgiving Ebook that is available for free right now. Use coupon code: thanks10 at checkout to get it for FREE!!!!

Thanks everyone! i was looking at an everything loaf of bread to make. Thank you for all the advice. Back to looking for a gluten free everything bread! hahaha

Jules Gluten Free is coming out with a bread mix!!!! Woo hoo. I was told it will be available really soon.

All of her other items are great.