Celiac Disease FAQ | This site uses cookies GDPR notice. Read more... ×
Momto2Boys

What Probiotic Do You Recommend?

Rate this topic

Curious what everyone takes/likes. I'm sure there are millions out there but looking for a good place to start.

Thanks!

I use jarro-dophillus. There's nothing special about it but is satisfies all of the requirements I look for:

-Says gluten-free on label (if supplement manufacturers aren't willing to make it easy for me to not poison myself they aren't getting my money)

-Is refrigerated (increases survival rates of the living bacteria)

-Contains both Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidium longum (these two species of bacteria are always the ones that stand out as being the best for you in the studies I've looked at)

I have found that I can't tolerate most of the probiotics, apparently they were contaminated with something I react to. The one I like best and has no side effects is Acidophilus 9 - it has 9 normal gut bacteria. I found it at the 'tao of herbs' online. Another I use is futurebiotics Vegetarian Enzyme Complex, a multi probiotic and Multienzyme complex. For a while I used goat's milk yogurt and kefir - the Specific Charbohydrate Diet describes how to make the yogurt as the commercial yogurts are not digested long enough to be safe for Celiacs and contain additives.

Curious what everyone takes/likes. I'm sure there are millions out there but looking for a good place to start.

Thanks!

I take Custom Probiotics Adult CP-1 formula. That contains 50 billion live cells per capsule. Those are free of all my allergens (see my signature) and freeze dried. So they don't need to be refrigerated. However, refrigerating probiotics is always a good idea to extend the potency. I don't have any uncomfortable reactions to those probiotics, because they don't contain FOS, which can cause bloating, gas and cramping pain. I buy that product online.