This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Acid Reflux

twe0708

twe0708 Community Regular

I have been having a problem with acid reflux. Today I had three eggs with two slices of cantalope (sp?) and a banana, and within 30 minutes I could feel it starting. I had an apple for snack with almonds and I am still having the acid reflux. Last night I had a vegetable drink at home and it started with 15 mintues - salad, carrots, celery, cucumber, cilantro and tomato. I make it fresh so there is no unnecessary ingredients. I hate to pop pills from the drug stores and would rather find out what is causing this or if there is a more serious problem. Doctors are so quick to give you a pill when they should be trying to figure out the cause. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

burdee Enthusiast

I have been having a problem with acid reflux. Today I had three eggs with two slices of cantalope (sp?) and a banana, and within 30 minutes I could feel it starting. I had an apple for snack with almonds and I am still having the acid reflux. Last night I had a vegetable drink at home and it started with 15 mintues - salad, carrots, celery, cucumber, cilantro and tomato. I make it fresh so there is no unnecessary ingredients. I hate to pop pills from the drug stores and would rather find out what is causing this or if there is a more serious problem. Doctors are so quick to give you a pill when they should be trying to figure out the cause. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Many people have difficulty digesting cucumbers, onions and other 'gassy' vegies. I use a supplement called 'excuseme' which is similar to Beano, but without my allergens.

Acid reflux is not caused by too much acid in the stomach, but by inapproapriate opening of the lower esophageal sphincter (LES). Many things can cause that LES to relax and open at inappropriate times. Foods like onions, caffeine, peppermint, chocolate (and others), drugs like NSAIDs (ibuprofen), demerol and others, food allergies and gluten intolerance (which impairs digestion in the intestines) and even overeating, bending over after a meal or wearing tight waistbands, can all influence reflux.

Also too little stomach acid hinders digestion so that the food doesn't leave the stomach at a normal rate. A normal amount of stomach acid is necessary to biochemically trigger the LES to stay closed during digestion after the meal ends. (For more info on reflux and stomach acid see "Why Stomach Acid is Good for You" by Jonathon Wright, MD.)

I suggest you try avoiding foods or drugs which trigger reflux, getting your food allergies or intolerances tested and avoiding overeating and tight clothes, before you consider digestive supplements. However, if you suspect you have low stomach acid, try consuming 1-2 tablespoons of cider vinegar dissolved in a little water before you begin a meal. If that helps digestion, you may want to consider getting a Heidelberg capsule test for stomach acid production.

If you ever had H. Pylori, you may have damaged stomach lining and less acid production. Also many people with gluten intolerance and/or celiac disease have damaged stomach lining (where parietal cells produce acid) and low stomach acid production.

Emilushka Contributor

One of my biggest Celiac symptoms is acid reflux. I just got diagnosed and I've been on omeprazole (proton pump inhibitor, which reduces acid in the stomach to treat reflux) for months now. It helps a lot.

Changing your diet will be a good place to start to treat the reflux. Make sure you're not eating late at night and be sure you're exercising regularly. Those things also help.

txplowgirl Enthusiast

The nightshade vegetables which are potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant and all bell peppers give me heartburn and reflux as well as cilantro, cayenne pepper, black pepper, all peppers basically as well as all squash, cucumbers, and some fruit such as bananas and apples. Very irritating to say the least. But once I eliminated those and the gluten I got a lot better.

All, I can say is hang in there and hopefully you'll get to feeling better.

Vicky

cassP Contributor

i can only eat certain fruits cause of fructose malabsorption. BUT on top of that- i only fruits with certain foods... i would never eat fruit at the same meal with 3 eggs- im getting reflux just thinking about it :(

ive heard too that fruit should be eaten before a meal, not during or after... because (except bananas)- fruit is designed to quickly pass thru the stomach- if its after a meal- it could sit there and rot.

plus- when i was "gluten lite" i had problems digesting protein and fats...

also- when i eat protein- i always include vegtables with it- its better for digestion

• 2 weeks later...
Rowena Rising Star

Wow, that's reflux waitin' to happen my friend. I have reflux meself, and like everyone else has said, their are all sorts of things that could help. First of all, I would be careful when ye eat, and to some degree what ye eat. Like for example, spicy foods are a huge reflux causer. Tomatoes can also affect reflux. And I would venture to say eggs do too. At the very least its heart clogging. I also take omeprazole which you can buy otc, which does help me eat more foods, but I still have to watch what I eat, and how much I eat. I would recommend eating smaller meals and havin small snacks between. Also make sure you drink lots of water and exercise.

Archived