Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

michayla

Dry Roasted Peanuts?

I've seen conflicting accounts on dry roasted nuts - are they gluten free or not? and if they aren't what about them that makes them not gluten free?

what about unblanched dry roasted nuts? anyone know?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Nuts alone are gluten free, however many are processed on the same equipment or in the same facility as wheat. Read the ingredients list and look over the labels carefully. Many I have seen say "may contain wheat". My personal rule is if it says "processed in the same facility as wheat" I may risk it, but I avoid "processed on the same equipment as wheat" or "may contain wheat". That said all those warning labels are voluntary in the US. Companies don't have to disclose if something is processed with wheat. So I would rather see a warning about a shared facility than no warning at all.

A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

Dry roasted nuts tend to have flavorings. Some are safe and some are not. Call the company and ask about whether they are gluten-free or not. I usually ask if wheat, rye barley or oats are used in the product rather than asking if the item is gluten free.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Dry roasted nuts tend to have flavorings. Some are safe and some are not. Call the company and ask about whether they are gluten-free or not. I usually ask if wheat, rye barley or oats are used in the product rather than asking if the item is gluten free.

That is excellent advice...I still run into people (but getting better) that will ask "what is gluten?"

Kathy

Gluten free 3/08

Negative blood work/positive endoscopy

Fructose Malabsorption

Soy free

I usually get Planters brand nuts because they are clearly labeled. I haven't had any problems with their nuts that don't have gluten ingredients listed. Not all their nuts are gluten-free however, so you have to read the labels. Other nutz are kind of whacky and out there. :)

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul