This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Turkey Gravy

Pearlgf

Pearlgf Newbie

It is Thanksgiving weekend in Canada. This is my first holiday as a celiac. We are going to try to modify all our old recipe's to make them gluten-free. My Mom wants to use Knorr Veloutine thickener in the gravy. I don't see any gluten containing ingredients on the box, but does anyone know for certain from the manufacturer that it is gluten-free? I meant to call them last week but of course forgot! Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

See here:

Open Original Shared Link

and here:

Can you send me a list of Knorr products which are gluten free?

Most Knorr products are made with gluten-containing ingredients, and cannot be considered gluten free. Ingredients that may contain gluten are always listed on the label. Since product formulations change from time to time, we do not have a printed list of products that identifies those products that contain specific allergens or gluten. The best advice we can give you is to check the ingredient list on the label. If you cannot determine whether the product contains the ingredient in question, we suggest you do not use it.

Gravy is very easy to make with gluten free flour substitutes. Take some form of fat, such as olive oil, butter, or melted fat from the cooking bird, heat it up, and mix some gluten free flour into it to make a roux. Cook it a bit, watching carefully. Then slowly add liquid (broth and dripping from the turkey, water, milk, milk substitute, yogurt, etc, such as non sweetened gluten free liquid nut milk, any mixture) and stir to make a sauce. Season with salt, pepper, etc. (if you can do soy, and have wheat free tamari soy sauce, a dash of wheat free tamari can be added. Nutritional yeast can be added for flavor, also, as well as herbs such as garlic, sage. )

Cornstarch, arrowroot starch, or even rice flour mixed with other types of gluten free flours such as sorghum, millet, amaranth, potato, etc will also thicken a gravy sauce.

cahill Collaborator

See here:

and here:

Gravy is very easy to make with gluten free flour substitutes. Take some form of fat, such as olive oil, butter, or melted fat from the cooking bird, heat it up, and mix some gluten free flour into it to make a roux. Cook it a bit, watching carefully. Then slowly add liquid (broth and dripping from the turkey, water, milk, milk substitute, yogurt, etc, such as non sweetened gluten free liquid nut milk, any mixture) and stir to make a sauce. Season with salt, pepper, etc. (if you can do soy, and have wheat free tamari soy sauce, a dash of wheat free tamari can be added. Nutritional yeast can be added for flavor, also, as well as herbs such as garlic, sage. )

Cornstarch, arrowroot starch, or even rice flour mixed with other types of gluten free flours such as sorghum, millet, amaranth, potato, etc will also thicken a gravy sauce.

i like to use potato starch/flour to thicken my gravy

tarnalberry Community Regular

I didn't grow up celiac, but never realized that you could use flour to thicken gravy. We have ALWAYS used cornstarch. Take drippings from the turkey roasting pan, heat to a simmer in a pot, add cornstarch that has been dissolved in water. Bam, you're done.

• 8 months later...
maximoo Enthusiast

Does anybody know if there are any store bought gluten-free gravy or gravy mix? preferably turkey or chicken. I don't cook whole birds.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Does anybody know if there are any store bought gluten-free gravy or gravy mix? preferably turkey or chicken. I don't cook whole birds.

I don't know of any store bought ones but you don't need drippings to make gravy. You can make it with just broth and a thickener of some sort--either gluten-free flour or cornstarch. I use the recipe on the side of my cornstarch can (I don't have it handy right now).

Here's a really easy one: Open Original Shared Link

Also, pretty much any gravy recipe that calls for drippings you can just leave them out and use broth/stock instead. I find most of the flavor in gravy comes from the salt and pepper anyway.

maximoo Enthusiast

Sorry for the ignorance but is stock and broth the same thing?/size]

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Sorry for the ignorance but is stock and broth the same thing?/size]

They are technically different but it won't matter which you use for making gravy. Stock is usually made with just bones. Broth is made with bones and meat and sometimes vegetables. Most people (non-chefs anyway) use the words inerchangably.

love2travel Mentor

They are technically different but it won't matter which you use for making gravy. Stock is usually made with just bones. Broth is made with bones and meat and sometimes vegetables. Most people (non-chefs anyway) use the words inerchangably.

Exactly. In my opinion the best stock is made with bones you roast in the oven first. Fabulous.

Have you tried better than bouillon? Good beefy flavour and gluten-free.

maximoo Enthusiast

Better than boullion? do you use that & add the cornstarch or rice flour to it as well?

love2travel Mentor

Better than boullion? do you use that & add the cornstarch or rice flour to it as well?

Yes - it is a very thick paste so you will need to add liquid, cornstarch or flour (or arrowroot).

Archived