This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Cough Drops

curiousgirl

curiousgirl Contributor

Can anyone suggest some cough drops? I saw a tiny little post on Ricola...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

All of the Hall's line of cough drops are gluten-free. As a diabetic as well, I choose the sugar-free black cherry ones.

jerseyangel Proficient

I use Hall's also :)

curiousgirl Contributor

I use Hall's also :)

Thank you!

curiousgirl Contributor

I was so glad I still had some cough drops in the house! But, alas, they are Walgreens brand honey lemon flavored. Ingredients glucose syrup, eucalyptus oil,flavoring, honey, sucrose and yellow No 5.

Shall I risk it?

jerseyangel Proficient

I wouldn't until I could call and ask--the only suspicious ingredient I see is "flavoring", could be fine but you never know.

• 2 weeks later...
Kimeran Newbie

I would avoid Hall's BReezers. I became VERY ill to the point that I was throwing up and extreme stomach pain. IT Was so bad that I had a colonoscopy as a result.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 7 months later...
wrayet Newbie

We use Ricola - if you go here (Open Original Shared Link) They state they are gluten free under some standard.

Harpgirl Explorer

Well, no wonder! I've been munching on the Halls for a cough, but I ran out so I switched to a generic brand today because they were in the cabinet. I didn't even think that "flavoring" would be questionable. I thought that maybe my kids cc'd me again today, though I was trying to be so careful.

• 1 month later...
pedlinron Newbie

Can anyone suggest some cough drops? I saw a tiny little post on Ricola...

Just had a bad experience with Ricolla cough drops. They claim to be gluten-free but I am a canary in a coal mine when it comes to gluten containing products. Tough morning....

deinanthe Newbie

I also had a bad gluten reaction to Ricola in the last two weeks. Unfortunately, I had a bad case of the flu and a cough so bad I was starting to get sick to my stomach I was coughing so hard, so I was taking their recommended dosage of two every two hours, or whatever it is. I did that for several days in a row. Yeah, I had (what I now know) are gluten symptoms in those couple of days, but I thought it was from the flu! Then I got a bad DH rash. Oops. Gluten. It was the only new thing I was taking. It seems that Swiss gluten-free standards are substantially more lenient than ours.

• 5 years later...
Len Newbie

Just had a bad experience with Ricolla cough drops last night. gluten signs..

I now use Halls throat lozenges

• 1 month later...
Justine123 Newbie
On October 22, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Kimeran said:

I would avoid Hall's BReezers. I became VERY ill to the point that I was throwing up and extreme stomach pain. IT Was so bad that I had a colonoscopy as a result.

I have been sick from these as well, I went to hospital with high fever and had to have cold blankets put on me! I tried regular Halls the next time and they were all good :)

kareng Grand Master
6 hours ago, Justine123 said:

I have been sick from these as well, I went to hospital with high fever and had to have cold blankets put on me! I tried regular Halls the next time and they were all good :)

Sounds like you had a cold or the flu......

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I got some plain Halls and Honey ones last year that did not bother me. Unsure if they are still safe.

• 1 month later...
KEMB Rookie

I just purchased some sugar free black cherry Halls cough drops.  I had a reaction when I tried them about 10 years ago but thought they might be okay now based on forum posts.  After just 2 drops I developed severe abdominal pain and headache, exactly the same as when I am glutened.  I waited a couple of days, tried again and the same thing happened.  Just like 10 years ago.  I contacted the company to inquire about gluten content and they referred me to their product information site with ingredient information.  I informed them that the ingredient information isn't adequate to determine if the product contains gluten and that is why celiacs contact manufacturers for more accurate information.  They refused to provide me with any information about whether or not the sugar free drops contain gluten.  I've thrown them away and am now staying away from all of their products.  

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Found these online look safe and are say gluten free on the back of the packages Open Original Shared Link

Archived