Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In
curiousgirl

Gluten Free Cough Drops

Rate this topic

Can anyone suggest some cough drops? I saw a tiny little post on Ricola...

I love what I do, and feel that it matters. How could anything be more fun?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

All of the Hall's line of cough drops are gluten-free. As a diabetic as well, I choose the sugar-free black cherry ones.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

I use Hall's also :)

Thank you!

I was so glad I still had some cough drops in the house! But, alas, they are Walgreens brand honey lemon flavored. Ingredients glucose syrup, eucalyptus oil,flavoring, honey, sucrose and yellow No 5.

Shall I risk it?

I wouldn't until I could call and ask--the only suspicious ingredient I see is "flavoring", could be fine but you never know.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Well, no wonder! I've been munching on the Halls for a cough, but I ran out so I switched to a generic brand today because they were in the cabinet. I didn't even think that "flavoring" would be questionable. I thought that maybe my kids cc'd me again today, though I was trying to be so careful.

Gluten free 6/10/11

Negative blood test for celiac 7/7/11

History, genetics, and response to diet point to celiac anyway.

Sy

Can anyone suggest some cough drops? I saw a tiny little post on Ricola...

Just had a bad experience with Ricolla cough drops. They claim to be gluten-free but I am a canary in a coal mine when it comes to gluten containing products. Tough morning....

I also had a bad gluten reaction to Ricola in the last two weeks. Unfortunately, I had a bad case of the flu and a cough so bad I was starting to get sick to my stomach I was coughing so hard, so I was taking their recommended dosage of two every two hours, or whatever it is. I did that for several days in a row. Yeah, I had (what I now know) are gluten symptoms in those couple of days, but I thought it was from the flu! Then I got a bad DH rash. Oops. Gluten. It was the only new thing I was taking. It seems that Swiss gluten-free standards are substantially more lenient than ours.

On October 22, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Kimeran said:

I would avoid Hall's BReezers. I became VERY ill to the point that I was throwing up and extreme stomach pain. IT Was so bad that I had a colonoscopy as a result.

I have been sick from these as well, I went to hospital with high fever and had to have cold blankets put on me! I tried regular Halls the next time and they were all good :)

6 hours ago, Justine123 said:

I have been sick from these as well, I went to hospital with high fever and had to have cold blankets put on me! I tried regular Halls the next time and they were all good :)

Sounds like you had a cold or the flu......

I got some plain Halls and Honey ones last year that did not bother me. Unsure if they are still safe.

Diagnosed Issues
Celiac (Gluten Ataxia, and Villi Damage dia. 2014, Villi mostly healed on gluten-free diet 2017 confirmed by scope)
Ulcerative Colitis (Dia, 2017), ADHD, Bipolar, Asperger Syndrome (form of autism)
Allergies Corn, Whey
Sensitivities/Intolerances
Peanuts (resolved 2019), Cellulose Gel, Lactose, Soy, Yeast
Olives (Seems to have resolved or gone mostly away as of Jan, 2017), Sesame (Gone away as of June 2017, still slight Nausea)
Enzyme issues with digesting some foods I have to take Pancreatic Enzymes Since mine does not work right, additional food prep steps also
Low Tolerance for sugars and carbs (Glucose spikes and UC Flares)
Occupation Gluten Free Bakery, Paleo Based Chef/Food Catering

I just purchased some sugar free black cherry Halls cough drops.  I had a reaction when I tried them about 10 years ago but thought they might be okay now based on forum posts.  After just 2 drops I developed severe abdominal pain and headache, exactly the same as when I am glutened.  I waited a couple of days, tried again and the same thing happened.  Just like 10 years ago.  I contacted the company to inquire about gluten content and they referred me to their product information site with ingredient information.  I informed them that the ingredient information isn't adequate to determine if the product contains gluten and that is why celiacs contact manufacturers for more accurate information.  They refused to provide me with any information about whether or not the sugar free drops contain gluten.  I've thrown them away and am now staying away from all of their products.  

Found these online look safe and are say gluten free on the back of the packages https://www.luckyvitamin.com/sb-Zand-Cough-drops

Diagnosed Issues
Celiac (Gluten Ataxia, and Villi Damage dia. 2014, Villi mostly healed on gluten-free diet 2017 confirmed by scope)
Ulcerative Colitis (Dia, 2017), ADHD, Bipolar, Asperger Syndrome (form of autism)
Allergies Corn, Whey
Sensitivities/Intolerances
Peanuts (resolved 2019), Cellulose Gel, Lactose, Soy, Yeast
Olives (Seems to have resolved or gone mostly away as of Jan, 2017), Sesame (Gone away as of June 2017, still slight Nausea)
Enzyme issues with digesting some foods I have to take Pancreatic Enzymes Since mine does not work right, additional food prep steps also
Low Tolerance for sugars and carbs (Glucose spikes and UC Flares)
Occupation Gluten Free Bakery, Paleo Based Chef/Food Catering